Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 02:07 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,693,812 times

Advertisements

Looks like the photo link expired from the last time i posted. Here's the updated version: https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...72&oe=5F9647FE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 02:54 PM

133 posts, read 80,360 times
So a random photo of 2 cops chuckling to each other without anyone knowing the context behind the photo while Catherine gives an account of her day says what exactly?

Old 09-28-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
So a random photo of 2 cops chuckling to each other without anyone knowing the context behind the photo while Catherine gives an account of her day says what exactly?
It shares her daily experience as a crisis responded and social worker.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It shares her daily experience as a crisis responded and social worker.
Then let's post a picture of the cop at the end of his shift....despondent because he was unable to stop a man from jumping off an overpass. No time for the "crisis worker" to show up - he had minutes to talk him down - and couldn't.

Try living with that.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:29 AM

133 posts, read 80,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Then let's post a picture of the cop at the end of his shift....despondent because he was unable to stop a man from jumping off an overpass. No time for the "crisis worker" to show up - he had minutes to talk him down - and couldn't.

Try living with that.
I am not sure if you are referring to yourself or not. Even if you aren't I think about those situations all the time having very close friends who are SAPD/SAFD/EMT's. We think about their safety everytime they leave or hear on the news about an officer involved shooting.

My SAPD friends have said there have been many respected, veteran cops who have been on the force for years who have retired early and taken their pensions. Many are deciding what else they can do due the lack of respect they get in the community. The ones that have stayed on are working overtime. This is coming from Prue, not sure about other stations. There are crappy cops just like there are crappy lawyers, judges and the list goes on. Not fair to lump them all in and portray them as bigots and racists.

I agree with you. When you are in situations like a suicide or a scenario where seconds count a "crisis worker" will not be of any help.

My buddy who used to patrol up and down 35/Walzem area told me a story where a naked man had barricaded himself in a Taco Cabana bathroom high on Meth and Coke. Someone went in to use the bathroom and this crazed man grabbed him and started to literally beat this guy to death. Cops were called and were there quickly. My buddy said it took about 2 tasers and 6 of them to subdue this guy. In a situation like that talking about feelings and why you are upset and chose to do meth and strip naked in a family eatery aint gonna cut it. The guy who was beat up survived but had serious injuries. Meth head went to jail obviously. Just another day in the life of a cop my friend said.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Try living with that.
Okay. You’re acting like social workers don’t lose clients too. It’s four weeks into the school year where I live and we’ve already had one student die from an overdose. Try living with that.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:35 AM

216 posts, read 132,274 times
Default Druggies and Law Enforcement,

Yes this is the fifth wheel today in society, the effect of Hard Drug usage in psychotic behaviors. There is a place where these users go where abnormal behavior is acceptable to them. They are thinking. Bizarre actions become the norm when dealing with fellow drug users so they can fall into taking these actions anywhere if intoxication has reached a point where rational thinking is far gone.

Dealing with this type a part of the job for Cops. You are right about this, there is no denying, this. Cops are trained to recognize physical symptoms in users. These types of situations can dangerous if not defused.
A hopped up drug user is not the same thing as an emotionally disturbed person. Drug users approaching overdose levels cannot behave rationally as in the example of the naked guy on Meth and Coke. Kudos to the Cops always- for dealing with every situation, no matter the cost to themselves potentially. I know of no other occupation which is less self serving and underpaid. None. Heroes in the truest sense of that word.
Cops are the Knights Errant of our modern society. To not give these deserving respect comes from an upside down, perspective. These people are backwards and under educated, ignorant of the Cop role in society. Maybe these dwell on the wrong side of the law due to former abuses or drug usage.

However to enter middle eastern conflicts today is a only a modern day version of The Crusades. Leave the Middle Easterners to themselves. With the single possible exception of Iran.

Teaching is another, noble occupation.
However we aren't addressing people who are emotionally disturbed. This is the issue. Not druggies. Maybe the suicidal guy the Sheriff Deputies killed had passed the point of no return, I do not know, maybe he was very,very,high.
The issue is how was this going? Could intervention have altered the outcome? Likely not, I would venture to guess; but there if there is ever a chance an outcome could be altered then it should be taken.
Particularly; in the case of a combat veteran. These have given it their all, already, and then returned to their people and this kind of self sacrifice is worth every ounce of effort to aid them in this, their, possible, final, hour of need.
This sacrifice merits a worthy response, in kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
I am not sure if you are referring to yourself or not. Even if you aren't I think about those situations all the time having very close friends who are SAPD/SAFD/EMT's. We think about their safety everytime they leave or hear on the news about an officer involved shooting.

My SAPD friends have said there have been many respected, veteran cops who have been on the force for years who have retired early and taken their pensions. Many are deciding what else they can do due the lack of respect they get in the community. The ones that have stayed on are working overtime. This is coming from Prue, not sure about other stations. There are crappy cops just like there are crappy lawyers, judges and the list goes on. Not fair to lump them all in and portray them as bigots and racists.

I agree with you. When you are in situations like a suicide or a scenario where seconds count a "crisis worker" will not be of any help.

My buddy who used to patrol up and down 35/Walzem area told me a story where a naked man had barricaded himself in a Taco Cabana bathroom high on Meth and Coke. Someone went in to use the bathroom and this crazed man grabbed him and started to literally beat this guy to death. Cops were called and were there quickly. My buddy said it took about 2 tasers and 6 of them to subdue this guy. In a situation like that talking about feelings and why you are upset and chose to do meth and strip naked in a family eatery aint gonna cut it. The guy who was beat up survived but had serious injuries. Meth head went to jail obviously. Just another day in the life of a cop my friend said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio