Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 07:02 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times

Advertisements

Nelson Wolfe, criticizes deputies for shooting an armed, suicidal individual. Wolfe, who wasn't present, criticized the deputies, saying mental health experts should have been dispatched.

Headline then would read,

"Two Mental Health Experts Killed by Deranged Man, Sheriff Awaiting Orders From Wolfe".

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...c17c09a3866629
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 08:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Wolfe is an idiot.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:29 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Exactly why social workers can’t take the place of police.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:36 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Exactly why social workers can’t take the place of police.
Social workers are currently dispatched with police. They are part of what any local Mental Health Authority calls the Mobile Crisis Outreach Team. Our local Mental Health Authority is the Center for Healthcare Services. They are specially trained in de-escalation and deal with these types of situations daily. While I was not there, a social worker, with the appropriate clinical skills, patience, and ability would be able to have a conversation with this person to get them to the point where the threat would be lowered. MCOT team members do go out with officers because, as many people say, social workers can't handle everything. But we can do a lot.

To say that social workers can't handle these things is to show your ignorance of the profession. I am a social worker. I have friends who do this job.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...a1&oe=5F6EBAFE

Last edited by elnina; 08-29-2020 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Converted to a link d/t some members complained about language.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:19 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
I'm all for sending a mental health professional along with the police to de-escalate the situation, especially when it comes to veterans with PTSD who are having an episode at their own home. But in this case it sounds like the situation was too dangerous to send one in on the day of the shooting.

As this seemed to happen over the course of a week, knowing that he was potentially harmful to himself or others, I wish his family would have attempted to take his guns away from him perhaps while he slept.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:54 PM

216 posts, read 132,328 times
Default Well Said,

Yes, I agree with you ashbeeigh. Laypeople trying to express an opinion about which they know nothing about does sound absurd, especially publicly, and particularly, when it pertains to mental well
being. Like the opinion expressed here above. Absurdity abounds and sometimes we, may need counseling?
It is no excuse however. Maybe the guy deserved shooting I don't know and I am normally pro-cop but the taking of a human life should be the option of last resort. This instance is different and the outcome might have differed, maybe. Maybe not.
I have been around the mentally ill enough to be cognizant of the fact that some people simply cannot be reached. Mental illness is, the definition of tragedy. So.
There is a chance that the Nelson Wolfe criticism could very well, might be, spot on. Wolfe has more degrees than a thermometer , has worn many hats and has done so very much for the City. What this one man has accomplished here for the City, is really difficult to believe. Particularly the Riverwalk Extension.
Viva San Antonio. ( Up with San Antonio)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Social workers are currently dispatched with police. They are part of what any local Mental Health Authority calls the Mobile Crisis Outreach Team. Our local Mental Health Authority is the Center for Healthcare Services. They are specially trained in de-escalation and deal with these types of situations daily. While I was not there, a social worker, with the appropriate clinical skills, patience, and ability would be able to have a conversation with this person to get them to the point where the threat would be lowered. MCOT team members do go out with officers because, as many people say, social workers can't handle everything. But we can do a lot.

To say that social workers can't handle these things is to show your ignorance of the profession. I am a social worker. I have friends who do this job.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...a1&oe=5F6EBAFE

Old 09-26-2020, 07:02 AM

133 posts, read 80,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Wolfe is an idiot.

TRUTH!!! People in this city act like he is Gods gift to us. He, and his city council cronies, are slowly ruining this great city. VOTE these fools out next election.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:03 AM

133 posts, read 80,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by well done View Post
yes, i agree with you ashbeeigh. Laypeople trying to express an opinion about which they know nothing about does sound absurd, Especially publicly, and particularly, when it pertains to mental well
being. Like the opinion expressed here above. Absurdity abounds and sometimes we, may need counseling?
It is no excuse however. Maybe the guy deserved shooting i don't know and i am normally pro-cop but the taking of a human life should be the option of last resort. This instance is different and the outcome might have differed, maybe. Maybe not.
I have been around the mentally ill enough to be cognizant of the fact that some people simply cannot be reached. Mental illness is, the definition of tragedy. So.
There is a chance that the nelson wolfe criticism could very well, might be, spot on. Wolfe has more degrees than a thermometer , has worn many hats and has done so very much for the city. What this one man has accomplished here for the city, is really difficult to believe. Particularly the riverwalk extension.
Viva san antonio. ( up with san antonio):d
Bow down to the almighty social worker and kiss their rings. Puh lease!

Old 09-26-2020, 12:36 PM

216 posts, read 132,328 times
Default IT, is simple.

IT, is self-evident that you've never dealt with mentally ill people. If there is any bowing down
to be done for social workers it is for you. There are only for one purpose for these and that is
like the police, to help people. The penitentiaries are full of the mentally ill. It is estimated @
60%.
You think mass murderers of this world don't need help.
[Mod cut: personal]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
Bow down to the almighty social worker and kiss their rings. Puh lease!

Last edited by elnina; 09-27-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-26-2020, 12:51 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Wolfe is an idiot.
Says you. There are others do not see it that way. Too each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio