Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 07:24 PM

117 posts, read 80,739 times

Advertisements

Thank you, thank you all!
Just trying to figure your area out, I guess there are large areas where natural gas was never put in by the developers, or if it was it's only for hot water heaters.
The house is only 1400 sq.ft. so it should be fine. Most likely coils with blower, maybe it is a heat pump.
Mini splits sure are cool and the way to go, especially to retro fit a room that has no duct work. We've installed those in some areas at work and have been very pleased!
So yeah, shouldn't be an issue. This first place we live in will only be temporary until we find "The One" to hang our hat on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 07:43 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
In a LOT of areas, it's the geography. LOTS of limestone bedrock in the area, and trenching gas lines can be pretty expensive.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:24 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times
After having an apartment with one years ago, I swore never again. I prefer the comfort of natural gas. And not to mention cooking with natural gas. Never an electric stove again. What’s weird is that my neighbors house I think is the only house in the neighborhood with electric heat. Not sure what the story there was.

Old 09-10-2020, 04:17 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
What’s weird is that my neighbors house I think is the only house in the neighborhood with electric heat. Not sure what the story there was.
Some folks actually prefer electric heat. We're not one of them, but unfortunately our neighborhood doesn't have gas available.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 PM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
I like my gas clothes dryer. Got it from Home Depot (online). None are on floor display anywhere in San Antonio. Must not be popular at all.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:13 PM

117 posts, read 80,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
In a LOT of areas, it's the geography. LOTS of limestone bedrock in the area, and trenching gas lines can be pretty expensive.
Ah, see. Even more good info. Geologic reasons.
No, I'll make sure the forever house has gas or at least propane.
I haven't used an electric range for over 30 years, hate it...
Much rather have a gas heater as well.
We're starting out in a duplex in New Braunfels, we hope to end up in a house in the hills anywhere in between New Braunfels and Boerne. Maybe Spring Branch or Bulverde, but I can't see into the future...

Old 09-11-2020, 04:36 AM

68 posts, read 44,714 times
Future Texas resident here with a question: isn't propane available? Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see anyone commenting on it. Here in the Midwest, rural places where gas lines haven't been installed yet, folks have a large propane tank sitting outside, and that serves their heat & stove.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:58 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Future Texas resident here with a question: isn't propane available? Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see anyone commenting on it. Here in the Midwest, rural places where gas lines haven't been installed yet, folks have a large propane tank sitting outside, and that serves their heat & stove.
Yes, those that live off main line use propane. My son lived in downtown Boerne and has propane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio