Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:57 AM

133 posts, read 80,313 times

Advertisements

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...-road-project/

I read that yet another business, Sofias Mexican, was locked out of their place on Dezavala for not meeting their rent. Covid and this awful construction project that has been sludging along now for years is killing business along this stretch of road. Anyone else in the area tired of seeing local spots shut down due to this years long project that was supposed to be done over a year ago?

On a positive note there is a new fill your own beer/wine place opening up in the same shopping center called The Dooryard. Hope it survives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 09:48 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
San Antonio road construction is notoriously slow. Many days, you see no work being done or just two guys standing around. They would work one process along the entire length of a project then start that again. The idea of working one spot and then working behind it for another process never seems to occur to them.

It is obviously financially lucrative for someone to work that way. Borgfeld road was a horror like that. They would rip up a section and it would sit for months.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
(Don’t come at me because I don’t live here anymore I spent 24 years living off of de Zavala)

The widening of this stretch of de Zavala has been needed for YEARS. People would be complaining about it ten years ago if it was approved then and they’d be complaining in 2030 if it happened in the future. Errors suck. And I feel the pain. The west side got the added lane and now it’s the East side’s turn.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
San Antonio road construction is notoriously slow. Many days, you see no work being done or just two guys standing around. They would work one process along the entire length of a project then start that again. The idea of working one spot and then working behind it for another process never seems to occur to them.

It is obviously financially lucrative for someone to work that way. Borgfeld road was a horror like that. They would rip up a section and it would sit for months.
I agree about the $$$. I was driving out Blanco the other day near Borgfeld and it is still a mess out there. It is like a neverending process regardless of where it is located.

I just find it troublesome that small, local places are impacted to the point where they cant pay their rent for the month. As if running a business isnt hard enough throw in covid and construction and it seems like the death nail for small business.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
(Don’t come at me because I don’t live here anymore I spent 24 years living off of de Zavala)

The widening of this stretch of de Zavala has been needed for YEARS. People would be complaining about it ten years ago if it was approved then and they’d be complaining in 2030 if it happened in the future. Errors suck. And I feel the pain. The west side got the added lane and now it’s the East side’s turn.
Nah...you are good. So I am guessing you went to Locke Hill, Hobby and Clark? We might know each other lol???

Do you remember when Dezavala was nothing but trees and nothing else really around there? I get needing to improve this area but at what cost?? Numerous businesses have been impacted along Dezavala not just the mexican place. I drive around it periodically and I have always thought to myself how much it would suck to have a house that backs up to the road. Plenty of houses along that stretch and I would be upset and such. I also read that theyre saying it should be completed by Thanksgiving, but no way they can pull that off. All about $$$$ sadly.

The new beer place is called The Dooryard. It is in the same shopping center as the mexican place so I hope this construction doesnt drive out yet another small, local company trying to make it. Also a good bakery around there called Sol y Luna which is good.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
Nah...you are good. So I am guessing you went to Locke Hill, Hobby and Clark? We might know each other lol???

Do you remember when Dezavala was nothing but trees and nothing else really around there? I get needing to improve this area but at what cost?? Numerous businesses have been impacted along Dezavala not just the mexican place. I drive around it periodically and I have always thought to myself how much it would suck to have a house that backs up to the road. Plenty of houses along that stretch and I would be upset and such. I also read that theyre saying it should be completed by Thanksgiving, but no way they can pull that off. All about $$$$ sadly.

The new beer place is called The Dooryard. It is in the same shopping center as the mexican place so I hope this construction doesnt drive out yet another small, local company trying to make it. Also a good bakery around there called Sol y Luna which is good.
I’d just like to go back to the time when the only thing outside the Woods of Shavano was Pizza Hut and then the next closest thing was the post office center. At one point there was a house (?) at the corner of 10 where the pop up ER is today.

And you take that risk when you buy a house that backs up to a main road. I had a friend buy a house that backed up to Culebra. I tried to talk her out of it and pick a different lot, but the price difference was too big for her to pass up. I would never. But, alas, neither would my parents which explains why they’ve been looking for a house for 15 years.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM

Do you remember the old Lockhill Selma road? I was young at the time but I do recall two students from Clark who died drag racing down it. Then they added the new road which has way more curves than the old one go figure?? The old road is still there where Basis parents hide out to pick up their kids. Yeah I have never understood why people buy a house on a main street or the backyard on a main street. Resale cannot be that great. Unless I am missing something?????

Old 10-14-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
Do you remember the old Lockhill Selma road? I was young at the time but I do recall two students from Clark who died drag racing down it. Then they added the new road which has way more curves than the old one go figure?? The old road is still there where Basis parents hide out to pick up their kids. Yeah I have never understood why people buy a house on a main street or the backyard on a main street. Resale cannot be that great. Unless I am missing something?????
Yes. I remember a girl passing away on the curve there, unless the drag racing was something else. I think I was in elementary school when that one happened. But there were a number of car accidents from my time there. I was literally just telling someone about an accident in 1995 that killed a classmate that still sits with me, even today. (I believe it happened downtown, not in the area as I recall). Yes, Indian Woods now goes over that way. That’s very recent (since I’ve left) and I have feelings. Just like I have feelings about the wal-mart there.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:07 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
Zoning for high density housing in the NW swamped the roads and it is getting worse. New roads will never catch up. I recall cows walking by Clark on DeZavala when they escaped periodically. Could such zoning, not have happened? NO, too much money was being made.

Almost every day, I saw a high impact accident on 1604 between Bandera and I-10.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Yes. I remember a girl passing away on the curve there, unless the drag racing was something else. I think I was in elementary school when that one happened. But there were a number of car accidents from my time there. I was literally just telling someone about an accident in 1995 that killed a classmate that still sits with me, even today. (I believe it happened downtown, not in the area as I recall). Yes, Indian Woods now goes over that way. That’s very recent (since I’ve left) and I have feelings. Just like I have feelings about the wal-mart there.
It might be the same accident. Clark students were known to speed down that road and the city changed the street to a much more curvier street go figure.

Well youd hate to see the area well Wal Mart is now. Theres a CVS, Earl Cobb dance studio and a really unecessary and ugly business park. Wave goodbye to all the Oaks in the area. Just turning into a concrete blah space where everything is the same. Then throw in the years long construction and the homeless camps around 10/Dezavala and it looks trashy to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio