Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 05:19 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,541,764 times

Advertisements

We live in Stone Oak and it's a nice area. We moved here from the east coast. It was important for us to have a good school for our son to attend and a safe place to live. I will say though, the traffic is insane. When our son graduates, we are going to move to a different area in San Antonio.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:27 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,299,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
We live in Stone Oak and it's a nice area. We moved here from the east coast. It was important for us to have a good school for our son to attend and a safe place to live. I will say though, the traffic is insane. When our son graduates, we are going to move to a different area in San Antonio.
The 281 expansion should really help but that won't help Stone Oak Parkway.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:28 AM

1,022 posts, read 857,971 times
I will say that as more and more of SO becomes swamped with apartments, diversification will continue.

And that's a good thing.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,105,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The 281 expansion should really help but that won't help Stone Oak Parkway.
Actually the traffic in Stone Oak used to be MUCH WORSE prior to the completion of the Hardy Oak expansion to E Sonterra. And if they ever complete the Hardy Oak expansion the other direction to Blanco, it will improve again.

What I have heard is that there is one family holding out the land needed to complete that expansion. Refuse to sell.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:36 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,168,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Actually the traffic in Stone Oak used to be MUCH WORSE prior to the completion of the Hardy Oak expansion to E Sonterra. And if they ever complete the Hardy Oak expansion the other direction to Blanco, it will improve again.

What I have heard is that there is one family holding out the land needed to complete that expansion. Refuse to sell.
Usually what happens in a case like that, is the State or County will acquire the needed property through Eminent Domain.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,940,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
I will say that as more and more of SO becomes swamped with apartments, diversification will continue.

And that's a good thing.
Good for who exactly?

Old 01-09-2021, 11:01 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,216,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaydiej View Post
I am looking to relocate to TX. Upon research and finally finding a couple of apartments in my price range and low crime I stumbled upon Stone Oak in SA. I googled it and a blog popped up so now Im wondering if its a good place for me (a black woman) and my kids (black/mixed) Im use to being around mostly white people but I also grew up and although i experienced racism here & there i never like feared for my safety its also gotten more diverse & I know going to a new place it might be different. Would that area be good for us or is it white washed ?
No one can answer that for you. That depends entirely on your tolerance for white people.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:46 PM

422 posts, read 754,266 times
yes

Old 01-10-2021, 01:13 AM

1,022 posts, read 857,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Good for who exactly?
*Whom

Stone Oak is just a subdivision like any other. Anyone who can rent there can live there.

Good for ALL, that's who

Old 01-14-2021, 07:36 AM

6 posts, read 5,305 times
OP has their opinions, just like everyone else. Nobody should be surprised by that. What is surprising, is that people still don't understand what "racism" really means.

From the Merriam-Webster:

"a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities AND that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

ALSO

"the systemic oppression of a racial group to the social, economic, and political advantage of another"

So while the first part of the first definition fits OPs post (race being a determinant of human traits - i.e., being racist is natural for white people), the second part certainly does not...nor does the second definition. OP is not implying in any way that black people are superior. Rather, they don't feel entirely comfortable around a lot of white people. If a white person says the same thing, it's not racism. If you think that saying it is racist, it's only because of your preconceived notion of what racism is. Stop listening to CNN and Fox news and think for yourself. Words have meaning, and intent is also important, even in 2021.

What is racist, is if XYZ person says "I don't want to live around XYZ people because it's obvious their brains are underdeveloped and they don't have equivalent IQ's. Also they all commit crime and are constantly bringing our school system down because they aren't intelligent by design". That's racism. It negatively affects the person/people being discussed because you are saying they are actually lower/lesser than you solely based on their race. Generalizing/stereotyping is not racism, we all do it and it's part of life. If you are generalizing someone to imply you are better in some way, then it's racist.

All that said, it's obviously impolite and rude and insensitive to ask the question in the way OP did. But like I said above, they aren't implying that black people are superior to white people...the inference of such is silly. What OP is "tip-toeing-around-the-subject" saying is that they're uncomfortable raising their family around people OP believes presume that THEY are superior...which would subsequently affect the way in which OP and family are treated, all of which makes OP uncomfortable. That's not racism, it's just being a realist. That kind of stuff happens all the time. I don't know of a single black person (personally) who actually thinks they are BETTER than a white person because of their race. "Oh yea man, us black folk are just way dang faster by design. It sucks for white people, but because of their inferiority, they will never win the 100m in the Olympics! It's just a fact!". The people I hear saying things like that are people NOT of the black ethnic group (and that's not me saying that black people are incapable of being racist, I'm not saying that at all). OP just doesn't want to be seen as lesser than a white person...which makes them in a lot of cases "shun" what some refer to as "white washed" communities. It's not rocket science, but I get that it's also not polite and is triggering in a lot of ways.

As a man of "color", the black kind too (oh no!), I have concerns about my children and racism in predominantly white neighborhoods as well. Not because white people are racist, but because racism does exist and I don't want my kids to have to experience it like I did growing up. They're most likely to experience that in a neighborhood that hasn't seen a lot of diversity. Some things are "precious" or "invaluable" in rare amounts, other things are looked at as "freaks" or "things to be shunned".

That said, I certainly wouldn't say things the way OP did. I was raised around white people mostly, and find that I often fit in better in white communities. I get accused of being "white" all the time, which I don't see as a bad thing, but again, generalizations and stereotypes. These things are ok. I mean, not only am I black, I'm married to a white woman and have mutt kids...making us an uber mutty family. But we find a way to get along with everyone, as I'm sure most can if they try. Being nice, polite, and contributing to the community around you is a great way to help break down those barriers.

Respect, and an understanding for cultural differences goes a long way. Personal experiences also affect people's beliefs and opinions though. For instance, I have experienced some negative "press" from my "own kind". I've been called an "Uncle Tom", been called a "traitor" for marrying a white woman when there are SO MANY "good black women" out there. The list goes on. This doesn't make me hate black communities, but it makes me evaluate the diversity of a community before I settle down...for reasons that are entirely my own, and 100% valid because they're mine.

Everyone on this forum and in this world should be allowed to think for themselves and present whatever bias they have, as long as it is not negatively affecting someone else (sticking a gun in someone's face, or smashing their property, or vandalizing their home, passing someone up for a job, denying someone access to a facility, etc). If OP asking if a place is too "white washed" actually offends someone, I feel like that in and of itself means you haven't really been racially profiled much in your life, and that's kind of the point, isn't it?

Not saying two wrongs make a right, but there is a lot of tension in the US right now. Texas is known for being a very conservative state and having a lot of guns (which can be concerning for some people who watch the news a lot), and someone trying to think about the safety of their family/children isn't all that bad. People aren't perfect after all. We are all, in some way or another, "victims" of our life experiences, circumstances, and upbringing. I'm all for change, both of the heart, and the mind...but it takes time and it takes a little bit of "thick skin".

Cheers!

Last edited by Crispy_Critter; 01-14-2021 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio