Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 08:59 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,049 times

Advertisements

I think our so - called " city leaders and planners " were assuming everyone will have a jet pack by now for transportation.
I wish it was still like it was in my youth, but reality is, as long as there's money to be made with growth and development, there's no stopping it.
Now, if the wages would catch up to the cost of housing nowadays, I could deal with it a little easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 09:12 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I would offer we are light years ahead of Austin regarding dealing with, and planning for growth. The traffic in Austin has been insane since the early 90s, and nothing has been done aside from the toll lanes on the east side, and from I-35 to MOPAC, and a small expansion of 183. The saddest part of Austin's refusal to address the growth is that large parts of the city are losing their unique character. See South Congress as a major example.

Here, the city is working with TXDoT, Alamo Regional Mobility, and other agencies to address the growth. They have done numerous population growth studies, and traffic pattern studies to make the best use of the available funding for projects that will have the most impact.

The two groups backing the study are taking a similar position to some posters here with the flawed thinking that if you don't expand the roadways, people will stop moving to a given area. That doesn't survive the common sense test.

Sure, an alternative like light rail would be great. Major lines in from the NW side from Boerne, and Fair Oaks Ranch, from the north side from Bulverde, and Stone Oak, and from the NE side from New Braunfels, Cibolo, Shertz, etc. From the west side starting around Alamo Ranch. The issue with that is a lack of available ROW, and the challenges of eminent domain to acquire the required ROW.
They can always go the “elevated highway” route. For auto and light rail. I would love to see a light rail from FOR/Boerne to downtown.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:00 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,344,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
I think our so - called " city leaders and planners " were assuming everyone will have a jet pack by now for transportation.
I wish it was still like it was in my youth, but reality is, as long as there's money to be made with growth and development, there's no stopping it.
Now, if the wages would catch up to the cost of housing nowadays, I could deal with it a little easier.
As someone with a self driving car, with my hands on the wheel of course, it tells me 50% of the time to take control because of the idiots driving around me that cut the car off so close if deems not safe to continue to drive.

Automation will fix our traffic problems in the future, but TXDot is doing what they can now. Texas is the only state in the union growing in many metros at such rate. FL comes close but not really.

Growth 2010-2019 of the big four metros in both states...

Dallas-Fort Worth +1,206,594
Houston +1,145,725
Austin +510,794
San Antonio +408,452
Total: +3,271,565

Miami +601,853
Orlando +473,736
Tampa St. Petersburg +411,588
Jacksonville +213,918
Total: +1,701,095

Old 12-23-2020, 01:48 PM

624 posts, read 905,873 times
Quote:
It isn't investigative journalism, it is liberal opinion disguised as journalism. I have lived here for quite some time, and living on the NW side, outside of 1604, I can tell you that the construction of the third general purpose lane, and additional HOV lane in each direction on I-10 outside of 1604 has had a tremendous effect on congestion in the area. If you claim otherwise, you're either unfamiliar with driving in that area, or are being willfully dishonest.

For at least the last 10 years, the NW side has seen the most growth. While the entire area is seeing some growth, it has been concentrated primarily in the NW side. As a result of this growth, coupled with never ending consecutive construction projects, the commute in I-10 into, and out of SA has been horrible for over a decade. The results have been modified traffic patterns for some drivers seeking to avoid congestion delays, while actually being the cause of the same. As an example, until the HOV lane project was completed, during the evening rush, 60-70% of drivers would weave off and on I-10 to the frontage roads and back to get out of slowed traffic, and avoid red lights at intersections. The result of this was all of this traffic cramming back onto I-10 just before Dominion Drive thus causing the very slow down they were cleverly trying to avoid. Since the HOV lanes opened around a month ago, there is zero congestion in the area, in either the morning, or evening rush hours. Prior to the 2 additional lanes opening, on the morning commute, if you weren't on the road by 6:15 AM, you were in a parking lot from roughly Boerne Stage Rd. to 1604. Now, you can drive through there at any time and not even hit the brakes. Same with the evening commute from 1604 to Ralph Fair Rd. Anyone that lives in the area is quite familiar that from around 3:30 PM to 7 PM, that area was a parking lot during the evening rush.

While I don't normally travel 1604 during my commute, I do travel that route for entertainment purposes from I-10 to 281 and back on weekend from time to time. It is a mess. It's often faster to get to your destination by staying on the frontage road, and waiting at the multiple stoplights than it is to use the main lanes. There is little doubt there is a massive congestion problem. Don't take my word for it. Open Google Maps any day and turn on the traffic layer. 1604 in the length of the proposed construction projects is generally red, amber at best. Any proposed expansion is certainly better than the status quo, even for those environmentally minded folks. What is better, traffic proceeding smoothly from point a to point b, or traffic sitting at idle for extended periods of time.

Finally, before anyone hurls any of the expected counter proposals, I am in a VIA vanpool for work. Five of us meet at a central location every morning, and ride in the van to and from work, so we are taking 4 additional cars off the road, thus eliminating the associated carbon emissions, and reducing traffic load.
Just drove through IH 10 from 1604 to the Dominion exit yesterday what a difference, it was nice. The way home on 1604 around 3:00pm from 1604 @ IH 10 east bound to just past NW Military was stop and go. Widen 1604 from Culebra to IH 35 North.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:07 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Just drove through IH 10 from 1604 to the Dominion exit yesterday what a difference, it was nice. The way home on 1604 around 3:00pm from 1604 @ IH 10 east bound to just past NW Military was stop and go. Widen 1604 from Culebra to IH 35 North.
Yes, widen 1604 at least from Culebra to IH 35 North. Its rough during rush hours and beyond.

Also, hopefully they will do something about the Culebra 1604 intersection / light as well. Possibly like the overpass that was done for 410 and Bandera. Or even the re-done intersection of Bandera and 1604 which did help traffic.

Culebra intersection and large swaths of Culebra is nuts during rush hours and even beyond. That area will only get worse with its continued growth and as people flock to San antonio.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:08 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,938 times
Here is a good synopsis of the 1604 N expansion project from Bandera Rd. to I-35. It has all of the schematics in one place, and a great explanation of the project scope and details. It doesn't extend all the way down to Culebra, but it's a start.

Link here.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:02 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Here is a good synopsis of the 1604 N expansion project from Bandera Rd. to I-35. It has all of the schematics in one place, and a great explanation of the project scope and details. It doesn't extend all the way down to Culebra, but it's a start.

Link here.
Boy when they start the I-10/1604 interchange construction, it's gonna be a nightmare!! And I have to drive through that everyday!!

Old 12-27-2020, 12:01 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,689 times
Quote:
[SIZE=2]The current cloverleaf at I-10 is obsolete and unable to handle current traffic loads.[/SIZE]

Tell me! I was stopped in that intersection a person not paying attention plowed into a line of cars at full speed. Still paying for it physically and financially, even with insurance and court settlements (which took years).

Old 12-27-2020, 04:16 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Boy when they start the I-10/1604 interchange construction, it's gonna be a nightmare!! And I have to drive through that everyday!!
Me too... Remaining optimistic that they will try to manage it to minimize traffic disruptions.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:45 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
I couldn't help but notice that 1604 on the South Side is also widening in sections, mainly between 281 just east of I-37. Will that also be a freeway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio