U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 01:47 PM

7,763 posts, read 10,048,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Austin is an great example of poor planning + uncontrolled growth mixed in with a lot of cash.

I think there is a thread going on in the Austin forum that people actually have to bid on some lots before building a new house in some parts of the city. Some people are bidding twice the minimum bid required and still getting outbid.

But hey...at least they have a more modern skyline
That thread is ridiculous. And there are people defending it. I wonder if this is happening in some areas of SA. Someone popped into another thread over there who is trying to move to Texas to be close to family. They were outbid for a house in Stone Oak. They got something like 24 offers. Obviously, you're going to get stuff like that in that area given the market. That's not an extension of Austin, that's just everyone wanting to be in 78758. They didn't even say they were looking there and I nailed it in a guess. There was someone else asking in the Austin forum about New Braunfels because they were being outbid in the neighborhoods mentioned in that thread. They were from San Diego and were against a military culture, so New Braunfels and SA were out and they're back to Pflugerville searching. I dread my occassional drive from south Austin to New Braunfels. Can you imagine choosing to drive from New Braunfels to Austin regularly? I hope this crazy market doesn't make it down to San Antonio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 03:36 PM

38 posts, read 9,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
That thread is ridiculous. And there are people defending it. I wonder if this is happening in some areas of SA. Someone popped into another thread over there who is trying to move to Texas to be close to family. They were outbid for a house in Stone Oak. They got something like 24 offers. Obviously, you're going to get stuff like that in that area given the market. That's not an extension of Austin, that's just everyone wanting to be in 78758. They didn't even say they were looking there and I nailed it in a guess. There was someone else asking in the Austin forum about New Braunfels because they were being outbid in the neighborhoods mentioned in that thread. They were from San Diego and were against a military culture, so New Braunfels and SA were out and they're back to Pflugerville searching. I dread my occassional drive from south Austin to New Braunfels. Can you imagine choosing to drive from New Braunfels to Austin regularly? I hope this crazy market doesn't make it down to San Antonio.
I doubt it'll get like that in a major way in San Antonio, maybe just in some very limited areas but most of San Antonio just isn't desirable enough for it to justify having that type of market.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:11 PM

676 posts, read 492,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
I doubt it'll get like that in a major way in San Antonio, maybe just in some very limited areas but most of San Antonio just isn't desirable enough for it to justify having that type of market.
Exactly.

Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, parts of Stone Oak and King William routinely have bidding wars for desirable, unique properties.

SA is far from the problems of Austin/Dallas/Houston. The money isn't here.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
LED illumination surely looks pretty, but unnecessarily adds to light pollution.
In many bustling cities and towns, bright lights from towering high-rise buildings, houses and street lamps obscure views of the night sky and contribute to an environmental problem.

Light pollution is a part of EVERY major downtown.

SA is a tourist town. To have it dark at night would be absolutely silly.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Exactly.

Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, parts of Stone Oak and King William routinely have bidding wars for desirable, unique properties.

SA is far from the problems of Austin/Dallas/Houston. The money isn't here.
I hope for San Antonio’s sake it doesn’t. But, if people are starting to consider NB as an Austin suburb (she didn’t even post in the SA forum...which shows how much some Austinites or some wannabe Austinites) regard San Antonio.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I hope for San Antonio’s sake it doesn’t. But, if people are starting to consider NB as an Austin suburb (she didn’t even post in the SA forum...which shows how much some Austinites or some wannabe Austinites) regard San Antonio.
The problem is that San Antonio needs to attract higher-paying jobs and people with money in-general.

(Not that I'd want to see real estate become overvalued)

I just think this city could use a cosmopolitan injection, along with expanded multiculturalism, commerce and contemporary design.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:12 PM

11,531 posts, read 12,088,222 times
Quote:
Light pollution is a part of EVERY major downtown.

SA is a tourist town. To have it dark at night would be absolutely silly.
It would be cool if there was some sort of light control for cities. I live in a neighborhood where my neighbors have giant lights in the backyard that can be seen for miles. This should be outlawed. My eyes are not happy about all the light, or at least the strength of these lights.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The problem is that San Antonio needs to attract higher-paying jobs and people with money in-general.

I just think this city could use a cosmopolitan injection, along with expanded multiculturalism, commerce and contemporary design.
I think some of us would gladly send these new "headquarters" your way.

I'll also add I mistyped the zip code in my first post of the day today, it should be 78258, not 78758. I've finally been in Austin too long that I don't catch switching the 2 and 7 when typing.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:51 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,300,775 times
Quote:

San Antonio has two sides. One side is upper middle class and above with professional jobs and the other is poverty stricken with tourism and service jobs. We have some in the middle but nothing like most major cities.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 5,031,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
d the other is poverty stricken with tourism and service jobs.
I wouldn't exactly call these people "poverty sticken", I mean one can live pretty comfortably in SA with a tourism or service sector job unlike in other high COL cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio