Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:22 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,129 times

Advertisements

I do not understand Robert, you used to live in L.A. L.A. has an urban core, but has urban sprawl like crazy. Suburbs of L.A. go out for 60 miles each direction. 99% of the people live in boring suburbia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 01:25 PM

guerilla why live in a condo in San Antonio when you can buy a house for 175K? Its not like L.A. where buying a house in an urban core will cost you 1.5 million as opposed to a condo for 700K.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 PM

217 posts, read 670,838 times
I've gone to Bonham Exchange several times, probably because I'm gay.

No, I don't think everyone in SA is like Novemberhawk, but there is a lack of progressiveness in SA. Educated, rich investors who would bring money and influence to SA to build the light rail, or improve 1604 for people like Novemberhawk, will read his comments and stay away. So will the more upwardly mobile potential transplants. There's a reason that SA is Texas' "red-headed stepchild" as someone put it, and the some of the attitudes expressed here may account for some of that. If changes in attitude are not made, people may find themselves spending the next twenty years sitting at stoplights on 1604 on their way to Chilis, while the more progressive Texas cities get the money to develop. Much deserved in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post

No, I don't think everyone in SA is like Novemberhawk, but there is a lack of progressiveness in SA. Educated, rich investors who would bring money and influence to SA to build the light rail, or improve 1604 for people like Novemberhawk, will read his comments and stay away. So will the more upwardly mobile potential transplants. There's a reason that SA is Texas' "red-headed stepchild" as someone put it, and the some of the attitudes expressed here may account for some of that. If changes in attitude are not made, people may find themselves spending the next twenty years sitting at stoplights on 1604 on their way to Chilis, while the more progressive Texas cities get the money to develop. Much deserved in my opinion.

Novemberhawk

no one cares

move on

Old 12-30-2006, 01:30 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
And Austin has commuter rail coming online. Austin is following the lead of most mid-sized American metros. San Antonio is not really following that mold. You can't compare Charlotte and San Antonio like you could Austin and Charlotte. Or even San Antonio and Jacksonville as compared to Austin and Jacksonville. New Orleans, too. San Antonio isn't developing a real strong urban core (condos, etc.), like the other cities have. Rail is also a option in those cities. All of these parking lots and suburban developments are going to hurt San Antonio in the future. I remember an article that said Downtown San Antonio was suffering because business choose to stay in the suburbs because San Antonio pushes its suburbs so much.
I read that and man... talk about mistruths, lies, and pour bias negative propagand towards San Antonio.

VIA is investing 100 million dollars in one single BRT line. They also plan to add others. The ARMA is in talks to start their own light rail system because VIA is doing BRT.

San Antonio has five or six condo projects under construction right now in downtown SA with 5 more proposed, not to mention the recent River North development as well as the current Riverwalk expansion (13 miles).

In five-ten years, the urban core of San Antonio will be unlike any in Texas, maybe the US.

Also, you may not know this, but the Rivercenter Mall is getting a extreme makeover starting this year. It will become an upscale mall. A parking garage will be torn down and either a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons will take its place. The mall itself will be renovated and upscale dining will replace making of the stores at the entrance.

Last edited by 210; 12-30-2006 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-30-2006, 01:33 PM

283 posts, read 1,836,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I read that and man... talk about mistruths, lies, and pour bias negative propagand towards San Antonio.

VIA is investing 1 billion dollars in one single RBT line. They also plan to add others. The ARMA is in talks to start their own light rail system because VIA is doing RBT.

San Antonio has five or six condo projects under construction right now in downtown SA with 5 more proposed, not to mention the recent River North development as well as the current Riverwalk expansion (13 miles).

In five-ten years, the urban core of San Antonio will be unlike any in Texas, maybe the US.

Also, you may not know this, but the Rivercenter Mall is getting a extreme makeover starting this year. It will become an upscale mall. A parking garage will be torn down and either a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons will take its place. The mall itself will be renovated and upscale dining will replace making of the stores at the entrance.
What is RBT?
I think SA needs a lightrail system still

Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Uh... wtf are you talking about? Seriously, if you think that San Antonio and Austin have anything in common, then put down the crack pipe and back away slowly. They are VERY different cities... apples and oranges. I don't think anyone would argue that Austin is denser, has much more highrise projects on the way and is much more walkable/bike-friendly. I have no idea what you mean by "your city is the exact same thing".
I wasn't comparing cities in every aspect, you said:

Quote:
To me, it feels like a giant suburb (ever been to Orlando or Phoenix)... very spread out with no density at all.
I said your city is exactly like that.

But as I read it again, are you seriously saying downtown SA isn't dense?

And SA has it's own highrise projects under construction and proposed. You wanna make the little differences seem like apples and oranges when they're actually oranges and blood oranges.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:39 PM

I am assuming Robert rented an apartment in W. Hollywood because if he lived in the burbs he would not see a difference in the lifestyle.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
What is RBT?
I think SA needs a lightrail system still
Bus Rapid Transit.

It's basically light rail except replace the "train" with buses.

Last edited by 210; 12-30-2006 at 02:40 PM..

Old 12-30-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post

I disagree, I doubt an educated, rich investor who read Novembers comments would be thrown off or scared away from whatever. Why? Because this is an internet message board which means any 11 year old with his parents internet connection can get online create a name and post away. I am not saying November is 11, I am saying its easy for anyone to come on here and post anything they want because of the anonymity he or she has. And two, if he means what he is saying, those comments stem from ignorance and basically from being narrowminded. Chalk it up to age probably. But for all we know he could be on here for a good time with no intent on anything but making an "ass" out of himself because like I said before he's invisible to all of us, he's a name and that's it. I believe he's trolling.

And please Robert, realize there's a difference between being liberal and being progressive, you seem to intertwine the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio