Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:59 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,387,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I read that and man... talk about mistruths, lies, and pour bias negative propagand towards San Antonio.

VIA is investing 1 billion dollars in one single RBT line. They also plan to add others. The ARMA is in talks to start their own light rail system because VIA is doing RBT.

San Antonio has five or six condo projects under construction right now in downtown SA with 5 more proposed, not to mention the recent River North development as well as the current Riverwalk expansion (13 miles).

In five-ten years, the urban core of San Antonio will be unlike any in Texas, maybe the US.

Also, you may not know this, but the Rivercenter Mall is getting a extreme makeover starting this year. It will become an upscale mall. A parking garage will be torn down and either a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons will take its place. The mall itself will be renovated and upscale dining will replace making of the stores at the entrance.
Well, once these things happen, I will be happy for San Antonio. The truth is, business and companies are leaving Downtown San Antonio, so hopefully these projects you are listing bring them back from the core and off of 1604. I assume you mean "BRT" when saying "RBT," so this should help San Antonio in getting light rail. The BRT's have their own dedicated lane, so swithing it to light rail would not be hard. I suspect that the BRT won't even be completed until after 2010, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
guerilla why live in a condo in San Antonio when you can buy a house for 175K? Its not like L.A. where buying a house in an urban core will cost you 1.5 million as opposed to a condo for 700K.
Los Angeles is a force to be recon with. My mom is from there, and I have a lot of family there. It is so diverse. People complain about Los Angeles' sprawl. Let me tell you something, it has dense sprawl. There is no space between each city and suburb there. The only breaks come in between the mountain ranges in the Los Angeles area. Los Angeles may be expensive, but I have family you live in Perris, California. They are twenty minutes away from the rail stop. From there, it takes about forty minutes to get into Downtown Los Angeles. Not too bad. There house cost about 450,000 and it is a two story, four bedroom, two and a half bath. They live right on the side of a mountain. It all depends where you would like to live in Los Angeles. Los Angeles is so large that it has so many urban center (Downtown Los Angeles, Irvine, Beverly Hills, etc.), that you can live far out for under 500,000 and have a nice size house, and have a decent job.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Well, once these things happen, I will be happy for San Antonio. The truth is, business and companies are leaving Downtown San Antonio, so hopefully these projects you are listing bring them back from the core and off of 1604. I assume you mean "BRT" when saying "RBT," so this should help San Antonio in getting light rail. The BRT's have their own dedicated lane, so swithing it to light rail would not be hard. I suspect that the BRT won't even be completed until after 2010, though.
Yes, sorry, I meant BRT. I confused the first two words. Good looking out.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:31 PM

217 posts, read 669,024 times
Hi Montevista1,

I don't remember saying anything about suburbs. I agree that on the surface LA and SA suburbs are more or less the same thing, although LA's residential areas are denser. The difference that bugs me is the mentality of the people that you run into in the suburban coffee shops, etc. For example, I've sat in the coffee shop at I-10 and Huebner a couple of times, and if I'm with a guy and I don't come off as being the straightest person on earth, it's been the anglo wife snickering to her beer gut husband about me. In LA, people would just mind their own business.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Los Angeles is just a large diverse area. San Antonio is not cosmopolitan (it won't be until after 2010), so gay people are almost a surprise there. I can't relate to Robert because I am not gay..

You can't compare San Antonio to Los Angeles, though. Los Angeles is about three or four steps ahead. San Antonio is more on the level with Charlotte, Jacksonville, Orlando, Nashville, Austin, Louisville, and Richmond.

Last edited by Marka; 12-31-2006 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: removed quote

Old 12-30-2006, 05:39 PM

217 posts, read 669,024 times
Thanks for your concern. I'm not always the most tolerant person myself, as you can tell from my posts

Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 PM

852 posts, read 3,801,037 times
Using conservative or liberal as an excuse for intolerance is, well, intolerable. If nobody asked you what you think of a particular person/situation/lifestyle, then don't voice an opinion. And building a bunch of condos downtown is not going to make San Antonio a more embracing place for alternative lifestyles.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Yeah it would. If people want to live in a condo high-rise, and San Antonio does not offer them that. It instead offers them a suburban house with an HEB behind their fence, then they would look elsewhere.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
And building a bunch of condos downtown is not going to make San Antonio a more embracing place for alternative lifestyles.
What? Who said it was? SA is already an embracing place for alternative lifestyles. Just ask my cousin who is gay and has lived in Las Vegas since 1993. He is intent on moving back to SA within the next year. Every time he visits he goes out to gay clubs and always has a great time. How is SA not embracing of alternative lifestyles?? How many hate crimes get reported on the news every year? I can honestly think of only one hate crime against someone gay, and it was done on the Riverwalk by an out of towner.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:15 AM

531 posts, read 2,068,819 times
Default Perris to Downtown

I am assuming the 40 minute train is a fast speed because driving from Perris to Downtown would take 2hrs.

Also Perris is not L.A.!

You are right though San Antonio is very rural compared to L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio