U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 04:58 PM

680 posts, read 494,067 times

Advertisements

Boerne, Fair Oaks Ranch and even going towards Fredericksburg. All solid spots.

Canyon Lake, while a nice weekend visit, is not where I'd want to live. It's still very backwater and the current push-pull between the townies and folks coming in to build new homes is... Interesting.

Give it a few years. Airbnb until then
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 05:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,157,411 times
You can get into the Alamo Heights school district for under 350k. You will live in one of the more middle class areas, but it is possible. I see houses in zillow right now in your budget. Not a lot, but some.

Probably your best bet if you refuse to live in a new neighbourhood. The AH neighbourhoods are 50-60+ years old.

In my very biased opinion, it is the best public school in town. Other places I would look at are the areas that encompass Johnson High school, Reagan, New Braunfels (there are two schools), Boerne (also two schools), Smithson Valley, O'connor and maybe Clark too. Like I said, lots of these houses are new though

Old 02-02-2021, 06:38 PM

I posted this in the other thread. I guess you accidentally posted this twice:

You can get into the Alamo Heights school district for under 350k. You will live in one of the more middle class areas, but it is possible. I see houses in zillow right now in your budget. Not a lot, but some.

Probably your best bet if you refuse to live in a new neighbourhood. The AH neighbourhoods are 50-60+ years old.

In my very biased opinion, it is the best public school in town. Other places I would look at are the areas that encompass Johnson High school, Reagan, New Braunfels (there are two schools), Boerne (also two schools), Smithson Valley, O'connor and maybe Clark too. Like I said, lots of these houses are new though

Old 02-02-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure110 View Post
if you or your husband are planning to work in san antonio, i think you would be happier living in san antonio.

Personally i wouldn't want to do the daily round trips between boerne and san antonio so that is why i suggest san antonio area first, assuming you will work in san antonio.

Other than the schools i don't really see the benefit of living in boerne vs san antonio these days. 20+ years ago i would think differently before everyone was flocking there. I spent a lot of time in boerne back in the early 90s and it was sure a different place back then.

Braun station area is a very good choice. I lived there for a short period of time and it was very nice and pretty much fits a lot of your criteria. I haven't looked at the prices there but it is a lot of the late 80s and early 90s good construction quality homes.
+1

Old 02-02-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
What would make you think that? Northside, Northeast and Alamo Heights are all great school districts.

I think what the other person was saying is that Boerne is a touch better and some people move to Boerne based on the reviews of Boerne ISD instead of living in SA proper. On abother note, traffic near Braun, even with the changes to the highway is yucky. I'd stay away from anything west of Bandera for traffic reasons and that's coming from someone living in Austin.
I don't think Boerne is better than Johnson, Reagan, and esp. not AH

Old 02-02-2021, 07:54 PM

7,793 posts, read 10,064,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I don’t either. But some people seem to think that. I’m pro NISD just because I was raised an NISD kid.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:13 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,905,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aen935 View Post
I'm sorry, I should've put this in the original post. Both my husband and I work from home (not temporarily, we worked remotely before COVID) so we don't need to be in San Antonio proper. But I also don't want to live in the middle of "nowhere." Heh.

Are San Antonio schools bad? I am curious if they are so bad that it would be worth looking somewhere else? I thought most Texas schools were pretty good. I only have friends who are teachers in Dallas and I know those systems are wonderful. I guess I just assumed...shame on me! Hmm...this may present a change in thought then.
You can’t just research a district in Texas cities because many districts are huge encompassing different types of neighborhoods and many large cities have more than one district. Look into the school itself (both MS and the HS it feeds into) and on Greatschools remember they are now putting a huge emphasis on test score improvement, which is hard for a lot of academically excellent high schools. Check college readiness, AP %, parent reviews, etc for a true picture. Many school dropped to an 8 from 9 or 10 when they changed the parameters.

Some schools are not great in SA and some are excellent. My son graduated 2020 and started college with 62 hours, all but 6 from his AP test scores. He could not have done that without an excellent HS education.

As a parent, for us schools were the deciding factor for what neighborhood we chose. Of the ones you listed, I like Boerne and Helotes. Not sure about the Sonoma neighborhood you mention but if near Sonoma Ranch the schools there (NISD) are quite good. I believe the Helotes schools are NISD as well. I don’t know if they’re close to nightlife, it’s pretty easy to access in SA wherever we’ve lived.

Last edited by Bobcat4; 02-02-2021 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-03-2021, 06:35 AM

902 posts, read 731,120 times
Another thing to consider is the weather in Boerne is a bit colder, so if you’re liking potential freeze days in the winter you might want to live there. Also personally I wouldn’t live in TX without a pool. Just say no to community pools. Too many issues with kid puke closing it or teenagers being destructive partying at night. What I’m not sure of is if Boerne is so much cooler if you have higher risks for freezing water lines in the winter there. The incessant rock in San Antonio area gets in the way of proper burial of water lines.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:39 PM

828 posts, read 951,602 times
I live in Schertz, and there are a lot of people here who like the school district. Lot of people want their kids to go to Steele HS, as the building is much newer than Clemens High School across the street for me.I work behind the fence as we call it, the district main offices are across the street from Clemens. Oh yeah, and Steele has been state football champs too.You kids would go to either Corbett Junior High or Dobie junior High, depending on where you live.They keep building more and more homes around here, mainly on FM1103 and down FM1518.They are building some housing development behind Steele HS.
In Schertz you have the Bar House which has live music, and there are various restaurants around here. You also have Santikos Cibolo which has Tuesday family nights with bowling, movies,etc. and just up the road is EVO entertainment Schertz which is like Alamo Draft House and also has games, food,etc. In Schertz is a Swim Center, Library, and YMCA. lot of people around here go bike riding on weekends. We are between New Braunfels and San Antonio.We have both Lowe's and Home Depot here. And close to San Antonio.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:17 PM

2,227 posts, read 2,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Not trying to have some sort of contest, but facts outweigh opinions. According to U.S. News and World Report annual school rankings, Boerne Samuel V. Champion is the #6 high school in the San Antonio area. Note 1-5 are charter schools, academies, or other specialized schools. Ronald Reagan is #8, Johnson is #9, and Alamo Heights is #25.

It was never my intention to infer that the schools in NISD, or NEISD were bad schools, they are all good schools. Boerne ISD just has the additional benefit of smaller class sizes, and a smaller overall district when compared to the much larger NISD and NEISD, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio