Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 10:39 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Skyrocketing price of power could impact CPS Energy bills for a decade or longer. CPS Energy CEO said: our effort is going to be not to have exorbitant bills, looking to stretch cost out over 10 years or more
In other words - don't expect any credit. We still will have to pay those exorbitant bills, but the amount will be spread over many years to come. And if another winter comes like this?
The misery will never end.
Watch for Fuel Adjustment Charge on your bill.
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...s-energy-bill/

FYI:
At CPS Energy in San Antonio, the nation’s largest municipal utility, CEO Paula Gold-Williams has a total compensation of $930,669, split about evenly between base and bonus pay.

I am sure she won't have any problems paying her bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 11:15 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Mayor Ron Nirenberg has already expressed a disinclination for passing the cost to customers. When asked during the Friday night COVID-19 update if he thought the idea to spread the cost over 10 years to make it more affordable was an acceptable outcome, Nirenberg said “absolutely not.”. “Residents of this city, the people who have been suffering through this crisis, should not bear the cost of what has happened. And, you know, as far as I’m concerned, they should send the bill to ERCOT, and we’ll have those conversations.”
Something I agree on with Nirenberg, but I doubt he can do much in this case.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:18 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
If only everyone would band together and not send CPS any payment in protest of this.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:54 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
So let me get this straight:

ERCOT forced utility providers hands in widespread and prolonged forced shutdowns because they failed at the very thing they are in existence for (to maintain grid reliability and prevent widespread grid failure - in this case from natural disasters) and they could have enforced winterizing natural gas and other equipment from a major winter storm that was forecast well in advance but still chose not to

2. Texas and its leadership chooses to lone wolf it on our states electric grid because we don't want no stinking federal regulations so us Texans can't get power from other states / sources to prevent this exact kind of thing from happening and they also failed to ensure our grid was winterized from a major winter storm that was forecast well in advance.

2. CPS failed to prepare and adequately maintain our local grid and equipment, which lead to equipment failure and sustained power outages (not rolling like they were supposed to be) for some electrical circuits in which some hospitals, fire departments and many homes were on.

3. People died locally and statewide because of sustained outages, there was lots of property damage all over Texas because of the failure of CPS, Ercott and Texas leadership

4. Some families have to deal with the loss of loved ones and a sizable portion of Texans will have to deal with high deductibles and premium increases on homeowners insurance or just live with damage or pay out of pocket

Now CPS wants to pass on those exorbitant costs to all customers from their, Texas leadership's and Ercotts failure when we already have some of the highest economic segregation and poverty rates in the nation?! And divide it up over 10 years like that somehow softening the blow on a month to month basis makes things ok?!

Man....

Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM

814 posts, read 675,479 times
Your number 2 is completely false. Some folks want to believe it.

"independent" - a term used to illustrate the minimal connections to other networks
Protects TX grid from complete failure like has happened a few times in the NE states.

Pay attention as the details come out.

Look up FERC in the meantime. And review this https://www.nerc.com/files/order_693.pdf

Old 02-22-2021, 08:57 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Yea, number two is way wrong but a good talking point...

Quote:
The Texas Interconnection is tied to the Eastern Interconnection with two DC ties, and has a DC tie and a VFT to non-NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) systems in Mexico. There is one AC tie switch in Dayton, Texas that has been used only once in its history (after Hurricane Ike).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texa...onnection#Ties

Old 02-23-2021, 05:55 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post

"independent" - a term used to illustrate the minimal connections to other networks
Protects TX grid from complete failure like has happened a few times in the NE states.

Look up FERC in the meantime. And review this https://www.nerc.com/files/order_693.pdf
It took me awhile to realize there are two number 2s. Y’all’s replies completely baffled me in regard to the second point in the post that was the second, and correctly positioned, #2.

As angry as I am about the second #2 in the referenced post, I actually don’t mind the first #2. I’ve always hoped it wouldn’t be something well known, there goes that hope now, so if the US grid was deliberately attacked TX wouldn’t be crippled. Good for TX and good for the rest of the country that someplace was still operational, especially one with a large military presence. Obviously, I read too many end time novels...

Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
I didn't save the link to the article but I think the CPS employees, including the CEO are going to skip bonuses this year. Hard to believe if I am right here. That means Paula herself will lose out on half a million bucks if I understand it correctly. (I think she should)

Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post

From our (Texas') very own- Houston Chronical
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/pol...r-15964085.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Yea, number two is way wrong but a good talking point...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texa...onnection#Ties
Please refer to the article I just linked to. Also, in the second paragraph of the Wikipedia link you linked to (bolding and underline mine):

"The Texas Interconnection is maintained as a separate grid for political, rather than technical reasons,[1] but can also draw some power from other grids using DC ties. By not crossing state lines, the synchronous power grid is in most respects not subject to federal (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) regulation.[2]"

So Texas is separate / lone wolfing it for political, not technical reasons. Texas can partially (but insufficiently) connect via minor ties should we choose but it isn't sufficient enough for significant emergencies (please read linked article).

Point #2 should have included the word *enough (power) because of this intentional grid isolation done for political and not technical reasons. Also, the second #2 was supposed to be #3 and so on. I can not go back and change either since it past the time to be able to edit.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 02-23-2021 at 08:03 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 08:04 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I didn't save the link to the article but I think the CPS employees, including the CEO are going to skip bonuses this year. Hard to believe if I am right here. That means Paula herself will lose out on half a million bucks if I understand it correctly. (I think she should)
I read that as well, and yes, she will lose half of her salary.

I don't feel that all the bonuses should be skipped, however. There were workers out in the cold who absolutely deserve extra compensation. It's the typical attitude of CPS' administration that bothers me the most. They believe that they deserve high salaries and disproportionately high bonuses because they are responsible for the "tough decisions", but then they want to share the pain of lost bonuses when their decisions didn't work out.

The "rolling blackout" exercise was a complete failure, in my opinion. Parts of neighborhoods never lost power, and others would get it for 5 minutes at a time or be without for days (my experience). There was no equity in the distribution of power, and I feel for my neighbors whose houses literally fell to 32 degrees inside (we were lucky... it only dropped down to the low 40's in ours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio