U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:42 PM

5,042 posts, read 5,102,334 times

Advertisements

People here who distrust big govt sure do have lots of faith in corporations/utilities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM

1,505 posts, read 598,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
It is remarkable that a few days before the storm, natural gas was selling for $x. A couple of days later, nothing really changed as far as production costs, complexity of extracting gas from the earth, etc....it just cost more money...like 1000 times more. As I said in an earlier post, consumers should arguably bear some reasonable portion of the cost increase, but asking them to bear it all so a few natural gas tycoons get to profit off the misfortune of a bunch of homeowners and renters who were just minding their own business is just wrong.
Welcome to economics 101 class sir / madam. Today's first lesson is the principle of supply and demand in an economy that doesn't ethically self correct without intervention from government

Old 03-02-2021, 11:16 AM

3,966 posts, read 4,326,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
People here who distrust big govt sure do have lots of faith in corporations/utilities.
Quote:
Brazos decided that "it cannot and will not foist this catastrophic financial event on its members and those consumers," the co-op said.

"Let me emphasize that this action by Brazos Electric was necessary to protect its member cooperatives and their more than 1.5 million retail members from unaffordable electric bills as we continue to provide electric service throughout the court-supervised process," Clifton Karnei, executive vice president and general manager of Brazos, said in a statement.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brazos-...kruptcy-texas/

At least they are doing the right thing even when it was the governments screw up that caused this issue. I understand raising the price to generate more power, but the people in charge should have known there was no power generation that could be brought online.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Welcome to economics 101 class sir / madam. Today's first lesson is the principle of supply and demand in an economy that doesn't ethically self correct without intervention from government
EROT, an entity governed by government set the price. Again this was governments fault from start to finish. When the PUC lady, who has since resigned, was asked why power suppliers were not made to winterize she had to tell the senators they did not give them authority to make the suppliers winterize.

This is why most people laugh at that idea of bigger government when they are not competent. California has more regulation and government and they cannot even keep the lights on in a reoccurring heat wave that hits the state every year.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:12 PM

448 posts, read 622,501 times
Anyone actually SEEN their CPS bill at this point? Per their last statement, my meter reads were supposed to be 2/26-3/1 and I typically can view the the bill on their Manage My Account portal the next day. Nothing yet.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:06 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,806,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Anyone actually SEEN their CPS bill at this point? Per their last statement, my meter reads were supposed to be 2/26-3/1 and I typically can view the the bill on their Manage My Account portal the next day. Nothing yet.
I just checked my CPS account online. Nothing since my last bill dated 01/26/2021. My February meter reads were supposed to be taken 02/19/2021 or 02/22/2021.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:06 PM

6,140 posts, read 7,224,011 times
Why is Ken Paxton suing Griddy? Seems like theatrics and an attempt to save face to me because he wasn't really around to deal with the mess as his business meeting was more pressing enough to send him to Utah with his wife despite most people seem to use Zoom, MS Teams, etc these days for meetings.

There has been three different GOP politicians that bolted during this crisis now.

Ken Paxton, Texas AG - Utah "business trip" but the wifey came along.
Gerry Gates, Texas State Rep - Florida
Ted Cruz - Texas Senator, - Cancun

At least Abbott stayed put and did what a Governor was supposed to do.

It is kind of embrassing that AOC and Beto did more for Texas during the crisis than those three stooges who fled.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Why is Ken Paxton suing Griddy? Seems like theatrics and an attempt to save face to me because he wasn't really around to deal with the mess as his business meeting was more pressing enough to send him to Utah with his wife despite most people seem to use Zoom, MS Teams, etc these days for meetings.

There has been three different GOP politicians that bolted during this crisis now.

Ken Paxton, Texas AG - Utah "business trip" but the wifey came along.
Gerry Gates, Texas State Rep - Florida
Ted Cruz - Texas Senator, - Cancun

At least Abbott stayed put and did what a Governor was supposed to do.

It is kind of embrassing that AOC and Beto did more for Texas during the crisis than those three stooges who fled.
Beto yes, but AOC came when the lights were on again.

Griddy should not be sued, but ERCOT should be sued. They were the ones that hosed Griddy customers.

The fix for future events is simple, if you want to participate in the Texas grid when times are good you have to be reliable when times get cold. Unwinding the current billing crisis is not simple and I have no idea how they are going to do it.

Brazos co-op network found a way, sorta...

Quote:
The came a $2.1 billion bill
Brazos said it received "excessively high invoices" from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas for collateral and for purported cost of electric service. The invoices, totaling $2.1 billion, were required to be paid within days. That's because as a cooperative, Brazos' costs are passed through to its members and retail consumers served by its members.

Brazos decided that "it cannot and will not foist this catastrophic financial event on its members and those consumers," the co-op said.

"Let me emphasize that this action by Brazos Electric was necessary to protect its member cooperatives and their more than 1.5 million retail members from unaffordable electric bills as we continue to provide electric service throughout the court-supervised process," Clifton Karnei, executive vice president and general manager of Brazos, said in a statement.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brazos-...kruptcy-texas/

Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM

448 posts, read 622,501 times
From News4SA story last Saturday (link below). It's the "immediately" in the bolded part that worries me:

"We have cut off our 'Manage My Account' system for right now because we're going to need to go in and correct those systems and take those charges out,” Gold-Williams said.

The process will take time. It’s an intentional slow-down of the billing system.

"We're trying to go through hundreds of thousands of accounts,” Gold-Williams said.

She said the goal is to make sure skyrocketing costs for power aren’t immediately passed down to you.

"We won't pay a penny more than we need to,” Gold-Williams said.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/tro...eview-accounts

Old 03-03-2021, 10:56 AM

6,140 posts, read 7,224,011 times
Next time Jerry Jones asks for a new stadium or upgrades to the existing one, he should use the money he got from all of this since they "hit the jackpot" as one of his gas company executives put it. No more taxpayer money for his Cowboys facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: