Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 12:04 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times

Advertisements

For those of you familiar with the area bike trails, which one would you consider the "easiest"? I want to start biking again and I'm woefully out of shape. So which would be best for an old out of shape person to start with? As in, which one is the most flat, with no hills? I'll be doing good to navigate flat routes for a few weeks while I get back in the hang of things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Road, mountain, hybrid or cruiser?

Old 04-19-2021, 12:24 PM

More like a "cheap and on sale bike" (which I have yet to buy). I had a cruiser I think in FL (fat tires, heavy bike, you're sitting straight up?) and I hated it. Before that I had a really nice 10 speed that I picked up at pawn shop for cheap and it lasted for years and years. ETA: for this round, now that I googled it, I'll probably get a hybrid of some sort.

But if it helps, I prefer paved bike trails. I'm not into mountain biking. I bike for the scenery and the sounds, not for any challenge. Back when I used to ride, some days I would try to beat my previous times. Other days, I just wanted to feel the sun on my back, the breeze on my face and listen to all the sounds (I don't do earbuds on a bike). For me, biking goes back to being a kid and the freedom and sheer joy it represented.

For reference, when I lived in Dallas, I used to really enjoying biking White Rock Lake and what I think is now called the Prestonwood trail, which was constructed on a flood plain and connects to WRL trail. Long but fairly level and really nice scenery. Good for someone out of shape because it was level, maybe one hill IIRC.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:21 PM

Valero and salado creek would be fine. Just read over that thread for details. There’s some ups and downs but nothing you couldn’t handle. You wouldn’t be biking in crown ridge or anything.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:03 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,147 times
If you look at a topographic map of San Antonio, it's pretty easy to see what areas are hilly (northwest, where the Hill Country starts) and what areas aren't (everywhere else).

Here's a city website that lists the downtown bike trails:
https://www.sanantonio.gov/SABikes/MapsAndTrails

Check out the Mission Reach trail, which starts downtown then passes through countryside and goes to the missions. Take a break and tour the missions. Very flat.
https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...es_WEB%206.pdf

Here's a map of the full San Antonio River walk. I believe there are hike/bike trails next to the river along the entire length, or very close.
https://www.sariverauthority.org/res...river-walk-map

Old 04-20-2021, 05:18 AM

3,256 posts, read 1,412,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Valero and salado creek would be fine. Just read over that thread for details. There’s some ups and downs but nothing you couldn’t handle. You wouldn’t be biking in crown ridge or anything.
I have not been on Valero so can’t comment on that one, but Ashbeeigh is spot on about Salado being a very pleasant ride that I think could easily be done on any type of bike. Pretty flat with a few gentle hills, nice scenery, trail is 98% paved and the bit that isn’t is still easy to ride on.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:07 AM

Thanks all!

Old 05-04-2021, 03:48 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post

Check out the Mission Reach trail, which starts downtown then passes through countryside and goes to the missions. Take a break and tour the missions. Very flat.
https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...es_WEB%206.pdf

[/url]
The Mission Reach Trail seems nice but I've only walked parts of it though. It seems nice for a leisurely ride especially because one isn't riding on the street unlike the routes downtown. Plus the South Side of town is relatively flat. The path called The Riverwalk on Google maps starts at Mission Espada and goes into downtown, although I wouldn't go riding my bike around the touristy parts of the Riverwalk downtown, just the part South of it. Not sure if bikes are allowed along the same path North of downtown.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The Mission Reach Trail seems nice but I've only walked parts of it though. It seems nice for a leisurely ride especially because one isn't riding on the street unlike the routes downtown. Plus the South Side of town is relatively flat. The path called The Riverwalk on Google maps starts at Mission Espada, although I wouldn't go riding my bike around the touristy part of the Riverwalk, just the part South of downtown. Not sure if bikes are allowed on it North of downtown.
I think I did a few rides on mission reach when I was training for triathlons years ago. It was always south if Roosevelt park though. I haven’t been up to bike in SA in ages. (Or run anywhere other the Valero or Salado).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio