Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 AM

452 posts, read 1,027,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
sounds like a lovely place. good thing it's gone
So does every OTHER housing project...but people gotta live somewhere. Unfortunately, the people who don't know how to live within the confines of the law or just don't know how to get along in a community, screw it up for everybody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM

431 posts, read 1,203,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
1. There is no "private profit". SAHA owned the property before, and they own it now. What they did do was take one of the most notorious projects in SA and get rid of it (including, of course, some of the criminals who resided there).

2. There is no "injustice". Victoria Courts was one of the most horrific housing projects anywhere in the city, and the people who lived there had a horrific negative impact on the surrounding neighborhood. Most of the residents of the surrounding neighborhoods, by the way, are working-class people who manage to pay their own rent.

3. Mixed-income projects like Refugio Place have been demonstrated to be successful in changing the behavior of public housing residents, creating more sustainable affordable-housing projects that are compatible with neighborhoods.

4. You're right that the city wanted to make sure tourists (and residents) who were down there felt safe. That's what the city is SUPPOSED to do. And now that VC is gone, the area is much safer.

5. Are you seriously complaining the residents who pay market-rate rent receive privileges not extended to recipients of public housing? Guess what? They deserve more privileges and amenities, because they pay more. Here's another fact you may find "unjust": people who buy more expensive houses live in nicer homes. What a travesty.

6. These people were not put "out of sight and out of mind". Most are still in public housing, and many were actually given the opportunity to live in the new Refugio Place apartments. I am a supporter of SAHA and public housing agencies, and the mission of affordable housing. But the ignorance, ingratitude, and entitlement of people like you sometimes makes me think twice...

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,222 times
I like the idea of mixed communities you mentioned in #3 dvlpr; I think its great to have people from different backgrounds living in the same neighborhood, it gives a chance for everyone to learn from one another.

Last edited by skeet09; 07-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: .

Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 AM

452 posts, read 1,027,891 times
Quote:
3. Mixed-income projects like Refugio Place have been demonstrated to be successful in changing the behavior of public housing residents, creating more sustainable affordable-housing projects that are compatible with neighborhoods.
Having lived in different apartment complexes where public housing residents have also resided, I have not found this to be true.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Having lived in different apartment complexes where public housing residents have also resided, I have not found this to be true.
Well, it's certainly not a cure-all for bad behavior. But it is a dramatic improvement over concentrating public housing residents in dormitory-like projects.

Also, the most successful projects of this kind involve several different housing types, not just apartments. So, when public housing renters live in Rufugio Place, they're also adjacent to new townhomes, and the existing single-family houses in Lavaca. In other words, RP is part of (and connected to) a larger neighborhood. This presents a greater opportunity for public housing renters to see positive examples of interaction, property maintenance, etc. And it makes them less likely to engage in destructive and criminal behavior.

Great quote: "Crime doesn't follow poverty; it follows concentrations of poverty".

But, like I said, it's not a cure-all.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
Well, it's certainly not a cure-all for bad behavior. But it is a dramatic improvement over concentrating public housing residents in dormitory-like projects.

Also, the most successful projects of this kind involve several different housing types, not just apartments. So, when public housing renters live in Rufugio Place, they're also adjacent to new townhomes, and the existing single-family houses in Lavaca. In other words, RP is part of (and connected to) a larger neighborhood. This presents a greater opportunity for public housing renters to see positive examples of interaction, property maintenance, etc. And it makes them less likely to engage in destructive and criminal behavior.

Great quote: "Crime doesn't follow poverty; it follows concentrations of poverty".

But, like I said, it's not a cure-all.
As a resident of this neighborhood, who moved in when the final stages of Victoria Courts were still here, I agree fully.

Like many of my neighbors, esp. those of us who came when the transition was in its infancy (and many before, when the Courts were in full swing), we like living in a mixed income community. You can be poor and still respect the place you live.

An aside, it the years just after the Courts came down, there was very little crime in this nieghborhood. We all joked that the criminals knew there was nothing to steal . In the past year or so, crime (like house break ins) have increased somewhat. Still not bad, and still very safe, but as properties improve, they become more appealing to criminals.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Probably.
In reality, I'm sure SAHA moved them all over the city (kind of like butter). The city has public housing all over the place. How many threads are there of homeowners whining that section 8 people have moved in to their neighborhood only to bring down property values and just generally ruined their lives?

Old 07-16-2009, 04:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
In reality, I'm sure SAHA moved them all over the city (kind of like butter). The city has public housing all over the place. How many threads are there of homeowners whining that section 8 people have moved in to their neighborhood only to bring down property values and just generally ruined their lives?
Yes, we're all just collectively whining and making things up. Puh-leeze. Why do you think they were kicked out, errrr, "relocated" from downtown?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,962 times
Default 3 generations in Victoria Courts

My grandmother, mother, and my siblings and I grew up in the Victoria Courts. Really a strange place for me as a child. But at the time there was no other choice, or way out. We were dirt poor except for the cinder block courts. Had to accept Relief as it was called then. Really bad feeling growing up that way.
However, somehow, we made it out. I wound up at San Antonio College, so did my sister. I continued on to Texas A&M. I wound up working for major brokerage firms, and now have my own business. My thought is if we had not had that assistance to survive, to somehow want to get out and find a better life, could we have done it without that bare minimum assistance?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,789,000 times
People can do whatever they set their minds to, however in today's world many people just expect everything to be given to them instead or working for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio