Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 07:54 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times

Advertisements

hi all,
back again for some more specific advice- if you would need to go into the office maybe 2-3 days a week and worked in either far west side area or northwest side - both inside 1604 (specifically looking at Wells Fargo and USAA corporate campuses), which neighborhoods or bonus points for specific communities would fit the bill with the following considerations?

Budget can go higher, but would prefer under $525 unless the list below makes this not feasible
- low crime, relatively safe
- bigger lots with privacy or more spacing between houses (7,500sqft+)
-community features such as walking paths, tennis courts, fitness center etc (typical in newer subdivisions)
- gated/ limited access to community
- green belt lots preferred
- 15 min to decent restaurants/shopping
- newer build
- 30 min to either far westside or northwest side
- friendly neighbors
- more conservative leaning or at least a "live and let live" mentality.
- generally higher household income, 100k+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Have you visited or driven in either of those areas? Try them both out to decide yourself. With that budget I’d get a older house off northwest military between Shavano park and castle hills.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Have you visited or driven in either of those areas? Try them both out to decide yourself. With that budget I’d get a older house off northwest military between Shavano park and castle hills.
no I haven't, planning a trip but trying to narrow down.. after looking at some crime maps I assume you're saying that as they're not really the safest? Or if you'd care to share I'd love an opinion.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:40 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
I can't imagine $525 being anything more than a studio in the area you are specifying.

About 3-4 years ago we got a deal on an 1br apartment near Shavano Park for $625 and that was a very good price.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I can't imagine $525 being anything more than a studio in the area you are specifying.

About 3-4 years ago we got a deal on an 1br apartment near Shavano Park for $625 and that was a very good price.
I think they mean 525k? If their price is $525 for an apartment...that’s laughable. I paid $435 for a 490 sqft apartment off of Jackson Keller and 410 with a student discount in 2010. If they’re looking at that price I’d look into a roommate. But even at that it’s questionable to be in that area.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
no I haven't, planning a trip but trying to narrow down.. after looking at some crime maps I assume you're saying that as they're not really the safest? Or if you'd care to share I'd love an opinion.
They’re perfectly fine. Did you check zip codes and see the profiles here? My family lives about 15 minutes from USAA. I’d move back there if I needed to. Just given your request for higher income and close to trails, I’d look right by Hardberger park. Many of those neighborhoods have very close access to salado creek green belt and you’re close to all the other things you want. You really need to visit to see what fits best for you and your family. Note property crime is an issue all over SA. I was in town for a weekend and my family’s Ring camera caught some people checking cars to see if they were unlocked. Prior to leaving I had a few things taken out of my car. The one thing I remember someone taking was a reusable Nordstrom or DSW bag. It was empty. However, I’ll say I had a friend in Austin have a similar experience.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post

yeah I'm talking about 525,000 sorry for any confusion..

Old 03-01-2021, 01:18 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I think Helotes might be a good location choice and has newer neighborhoods 78023 zip code. It’s just outside 1604 and not terribly far from either business, however traffic is horrendous that way so during rush hour drive time may be more than you’re wanting. Market is hot here right now so there is not much inventory to be had especially in desirable locations.

Lot size may be an issue as well. Lots tend to be small in SA. We found a unicorn 3 years ago for $500k in Stone Oak on almost an acre. It’s valued closer to $600k already and if we ever finish updating will probably be closer to $700k. Hopefully for us the crazy prices will stick until our freshman is out of HS but I think it will bust before then so keep that in mind.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
I think Helotes might be a good location choice and has newer neighborhoods 78023 zip code. It’s just outside 1604 and not terribly far from either business, however traffic is horrendous that way so during rush hour drive time may be more than you’re wanting. Market is hot here right now so there is not much inventory to be had especially in desirable locations.

Lot size may be an issue as well. Lots tend to be small in SA. We found a unicorn 3 years ago for $500k in Stone Oak on almost an acre. It’s valued closer to $600k already and if we ever finish updating will probably be closer to $700k. Hopefully for us the crazy prices will stick until our freshman is out of HS but I think it will bust before then so keep that in mind.
The reason I suggested the area between shavano park and castle hills is because the lot sizes are bigger. The woods of Shavano, Shavano Ridge, the neighborhoods on locke hill selma between huebner and wurzback parkway are all .25ish or larger.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-02-2021 at 07:11 AM..

Old 03-02-2021, 07:53 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
You can get a lot for 525k here in SA. For that budget you shouldn't have too much difficulty checking off most (if not all) of your checklist items.

However, if you are going for new development (outside 1604 west), generally, your yard sizes are going to be "humble" at best, meaning you live so close to your neighbors (about 10 feet - 5ft for each side yard) that it's almost like living in a condo. It's also a fire hazard. If that's a dealbreaker for you, then you may have trouble finding new development and may have to stick to used / previously lived in homes. A a good realtor will be able to guide you in your search

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio