Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

Isn't it funny, though, that people don't get these same feelings when they see beggers and homeless people doing the same thing ..running around asking for money and help. I think it's because with people, they can help themselves, but an animal can't.

I just never understood how people can care about animals more than their own kin. I'm the same way sometimes, though.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:08 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I see most of those "beggars" as professionals, mostly because they are. I've seen and read numerous pieces on them and I won't give them a dime anymore. Now lately I've been seeing people on the news picking up free turkeys and they didn't exactly look like they were hurting for money. Some were dressed in professional looking clothes and some were even wearing medical smocks. Last I checked, the medical field was a pretty well paying one. I have lost faith in most adults and really don't care what happens to them anymore.
On the other hand, domesticated animals are at the mercy of their owners. They can't go to school or get a better paying job. They're completely dependent on us and we often-times fail them. Very few things pi$$ me off more than this subject and I feel sorry for anyone I ever catch abusing or throwing away one..
A nice young guy I used to work with saw an apparently homeless man asking for money one day, so he ordered an extra burger with his lunch and took it over to the man in need.....who proceeded to sneer at him, and decline the hamburger. "I'm just out here for money, okay man?" said the supposedly unfortunate soul. The nice young guy was shocked. He learned a sad lesson about the world that day .

Old 11-26-2008, 02:14 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I've heard that from several people and I know it's true. They've also done investigative reports where they follow around the "homeless" person, to their home, and it's usually a pretty nice one. They did a study in San Diego when I lived there in the late 90's and the "homeless" people there were making over $80K/year just from standing at intersections. I know that really tall scraggly looking guy did 30th St. (or whatever that street was 15 turned into before it got to the 805 and 5) for years when I lived there. He only worked M-F and only in the day time. So pretty much a 9-5 job.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
I once gave a "homeless" guy some money (enough to buy a fast food meal) and he looked at my sandwich in the car and said, you are not gonna give me that too?.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 18,624 times
They did this thing on tv showing someone who makes about $20 a day panhandling-- his true motive? --- Crack cocaine he was a user who was begging money to support his habit.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,395 times
Quote:
I've heard that from several people and I know it's true. They've also done investigative reports where they follow around the "homeless" person, to their home, and it's usually a pretty nice one. They did a study in San Diego when I lived there in the late 90's and the "homeless" people there were making over $80K/year just from standing at intersections. I know that really tall scraggly looking guy did 30th St. (or whatever that street was 15 turned into before it got to the 805 and 5) for years when I lived there. He only worked M-F and only in the day time. So pretty much a 9-5 job.

Making $80k/year sounded hard to believe, but I did some calculations and it sounds like its possible. $80K/year is basically $40/hour for a full-time worker who works the usual 2000 hours per year (40hours/week * 50 weeks). So $40/hour amounts to $10 every 15 minutes. At some of the intersections I've seen with two lanes going in one direction, the panhandlers usually wander back maybe 5 cars or a total of 10 cars per each light change. If the light changes every minute then in 15 minutes they have an opportunity to get change from 150 cars. So is it possible to get $10 in 15 minutes from those 150 cars that stopped by them? It seems likely and therefore $80k/year is possible. Of course this all depends on full-time panhandling, steady flow of traffic throughout the day, timing of the traffic lights, etc. etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 AM

269 posts, read 745,644 times
Quote:
Is that the one when the news reporter questioned him about being homeless he twisted his answer and said straight faced, when he is out panhandling he is 'homeless' as he was not in him home?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,192 times
If I lost my job today and next month could not make my house payment (for whatever reason...just go with it) and then had to "beg for money," I'd be guilty of living in a "big house" while "pretending to be poor." My point is, don't be so quick to judge. You know nothing of an individual's situation (unless you've had the "nerve" to actually talk to someone asking for money) and should therefore "put up or shut up."

The fact is, there are needy people--even in San Antonio, where the sun shines all the time and people whistle while they work. If someone is trying to "pull one over" by posing as a beggar in order to get free money, food, or drugs then that is between him/her and his/her maker. It's incredibly unfair of we fortunate few (who obviously have the means to post on an Internet forum) to expect a poor person to prove his/her "poorness" by showing his/her "poor card" before we give money.

I'm sorry, but a hamburger doesn't pay a bill, nor does it feed a family of four. It's a great gesture, but it doesn't always meet the needs of the individual. Instead of just assuming the position or needs of an individual on the street, why not actually talk to him/her and find out what he/she needs? Wouldn't that be better than just assuming that "they are all the same?"

Disclaimer: This mini-rant is not aimed at anyone in particular and should in no way be taken as a personal attack.

--Dim

Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
A while back, maybe like late August early September, I was on SW Military and Zarzamora by the HEB Plus doing some outreach (i.e. being a pain in the ass for my job) and saw a man panhandling up and down SW Military. We were out about the same time so he signed the petition I was working on and we started talking. I tried to understand where the "homeless man" was coming from, but I just didn't understand it. I gave him names and phone numbers of several agencies that could help him. It turned out he actually wasn't homeless, but living with the guy that was selling bottled water at the same location. He was living with someone else, taken care of and everything. Yet, he was out there in dirty clothes everyday. I wish I had asked him how much money he made on a daily basis. Anyway. i didn't give money to people before that, but now, I really don't.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times
They are in Washington, DC - trying to save their car company.

Anyway, there are frauds and poor folk. Quite a mix. My favorite is a guy who at the Sun Harvest on Callahan comes over all agitated with a gas can and story how he needs money as he ran out of gas, blah, blah.

A few weeks later, there he is at the HEB on I-10 and DeZavala still looking for gas money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio