Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:07 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmjuarez View Post
LOL, I agree. My question is what are the negatives and positives to living outside the city limits? I am all for saving money on taxes, but is it a good idea?

The big things are:

Less taxes outside city limits
Volunteer fire dept instead of SAFD outside of city limits
Bexar County Sheriff instead of SAPD outside of city limits
Pay for garbage collection outside of city limits (ours is $63 for 3 months)
Fireworks legal outside of city limits.
Less street lights outside city limits

I'm sure there are more....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 04:08 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
the negatives of living outside the city are no city fire and police and you pay more for garbage. I'm sure there are a few others, but those are the two that come to mind for me. I wish my water/sewage/garbage bill was as cheap as the city residents, but I still save a LOT more money by living outside (in Westcreek). As far as the police and fire, I think Bexar County Sheriffs Dept. is at least as good as SAPD and that's actually not saying much.. I've never been impressed with SAPD at all.. and the volunteer fire department that services Westcreek (Geronimo Village) is really good an most of them live in Westcreek...
Best part of living outside is comparing appraisals with coworkers whenever they come out.. always nice to rub in the almost $1500/year I save by living outside..

drat, FCF beat me to most of them.. and I would actually put legal fireworks in the negative category.. it's like a war zone out here on New Years and the 4th. you will not get any sleep that night..

Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
the negatives of living outside the city are no city fire and police and you pay more for garbage. I'm sure there are a few others, but those are the two that come to mind for me. I wish my water/sewage/garbage bill was as cheap as the city residents, but I still save a LOT more money by living outside (in Westcreek). As far as the police and fire, I think Bexar County Sheriffs Dept. is at least as good as SAPD and that's actually not saying much.. I've never been impressed with SAPD at all.. and the volunteer fire department that services Westcreek (Geronimo Village) is really good an most of them live in Westcreek...
Best part of living outside is comparing appraisals with coworkers whenever they come out.. always nice to rub in the almost $1500/year I save by living outside..

drat, FCF beat me to most of them.. and I would actually put legal fireworks in the negative category.. it's like a war zone out here on New Years and the 4th. you will not get any sleep that night..
Sorry RD...sitting here a little bored as the girls (wife,mom-in-law and sis-n-law) went out for a "girls day". It's Mothers' Day for them (mom-in-law and sis-in-law live in Mexico). It's a shop-fest for them today.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
it's cool. we added clout to eachothers posts. I'm about to go out and munch on some pizza at DD's

Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Do you think you'll eventually be annexed out there? I know years ago places out this way were always arguing with the city about that.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Do you think you'll eventually be annexed out there? I know years ago places out this way were always arguing with the city about that.
It sure would be a nice tax base (over 3200 homes here), but they are still building in here and will be for some time. I don't think that anything will happen until we're complete.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
The annexing is just around the corner, as soon as the finish with the extension of 151 then there is going to be a very large annexation picking up several communities to the west of SA. Several new neighborhoods are opening inside SA, around the Alamo Ranch Subdivision also, just behind/outside the new mall they are building on loop 1604 and Culebra. A very nice neighbor hood is Mirabella. off of Military.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
The annexing is just around the corner, as soon as the finish with the extension of 151 then there is going to be a very large annexation picking up several communities to the west of SA. Several new neighborhoods are opening inside SA, around the Alamo Ranch Subdivision also, just behind/outside the new mall they are building on loop 1604 and Culebra. A very nice neighbor hood is Mirabella. off of Military.

How much notice is required for the proposed annexation?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:44 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
How much notice is required for the proposed annexation?
By law, it is now about a 3 year process, unless the area voluntarily solicits annexation by the city.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
By law, it is now about a 3 year process, unless the area voluntarily solicits annexation by the city.
That's what I was thinking. So, I guess it's not right around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: