U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:31 PM

3,958 posts, read 4,325,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Really? https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ath-toll-jumps I don't think so

This forum should not have COVID-19 misinformation.
I put more trust in a well renowned doctor from John Hopkins than the Guardian. It is not misinformation just because you "feel" it is. If I just made up information and did not link to a doctor then you could call it misinformation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
This forum should not have COVID-19 misinformation.
Nor should it have information from TheGuardian as facts.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:09 PM

168 posts, read 148,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
There are a lot of experts with a lot of opinions for sure. I'm truly amazed that we have so many conflicting points of view this far into the pandemic.

According to the administration everyone should be vaccinated by the end of May. Everyone can make their own personal decisions until then. People need to know their risk level. As of February in a state of 30 million legal residents and many more undocumented only 4,554 people under 55 have died. (.01518%)

The question is going to be if this comes back each year how we going to handle it? Mask mandate for part of the year?
So the Administration has not said everyone will be vaccinated by the end of May....they are projecting that there will be sufficient vaccine to give everyone who wants a shot one by then. (Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/polit...ine/index.html) With the logistical issues of rolling out vaccines for millions of people, trying to convince those who are "anti-vaxers" or otherwise concerned about getting a shot that they are safe, it may be many months before we can say we have achieved herd immunity.

Regarding your statement that everyone can make their own personal decisions....yes this is, in fact true. However, I would say that this is where I think it would be prudent for the government to step in and continue to mandate the use of masks...at the least this sends a signal what constitutes appropriate behavior to ensure the health of our citizens, and at most, gives the state some authority (thru fines, etc.) to deter people from acting in a manner that potentially makes us all unsafe.

There are about 720,000 people in Texas over the age of 80. There have been about 15,000 deaths....death rate is abut 2%. Agree that if you are younger your risk of death is lower, but these younger folks who may be asymptomatic are probably spreading some of the disease to a more vulnerable, older population. 2% death rate is significant. Beyond that, of those who are under 55, how many have long term health issues, how many are taking up space in hospitals making it harder to treat everyone because staff is spred to thin. I think your statistic on those under 55 doesn't tell the complete picture.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:37 PM

3,958 posts, read 4,325,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
So the Administration has not said everyone will be vaccinated by the end of May....they are projecting that there will be sufficient vaccine to give everyone who wants a shot one by then. (Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/polit...ine/index.html) With the logistical issues of rolling out vaccines for millions of people, trying to convince those who are "anti-vaxers" or otherwise concerned about getting a shot that they are safe, it may be many months before we can say we have achieved herd immunity.

Regarding your statement that everyone can make their own personal decisions....yes this is, in fact true. However, I would say that this is where I think it would be prudent for the government to step in and continue to mandate the use of masks...at the least this sends a signal what constitutes appropriate behavior to ensure the health of our citizens, and at most, gives the state some authority (thru fines, etc.) to deter people from acting in a manner that potentially makes us all unsafe.

There are about 720,000 people in Texas over the age of 80. There have been about 15,000 deaths....death rate is abut 2%. Agree that if you are younger your risk of death is lower, but these younger folks who may be asymptomatic are probably spreading some of the disease to a more vulnerable, older population. 2% death rate is significant. Beyond that, of those who are under 55, how many have long term health issues, how many are taking up space in hospitals making it harder to treat everyone because staff is spred to thin. I think your statistic on those under 55 doesn't tell the complete picture.
This is the fundamental disagreement in a nutshell. I do not need the government to tell me to put on a mask to stay safe. That is something I will do because it is a logical proactive step to stay healthy.

It is not like Abbott said not to wear a mask.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:09 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,804,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
That was the way I interpreted it, although some news sources reported it as "all Americans" would be vaccinated by the end of May.

You always have the anti-vaxers, plus those that are afraid the COVID vaccines were rushed through without adequate long-term trials, and/or reports of significant side-effects, so they are declining on those grounds. If indeed they can exponentially increase the production & distribution by then (I'm a bit skeptical based on what we've seen up to this date, but we'll see), chances are it is what it is going to be at that point, as far as percentage of the population vaccinated, and the rest just aren't getting it because they don't want it, period.

The latest numbers I've seen are just under 8% of the American population is fully vaccinated (both doses), so we have a long way to go.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM

168 posts, read 148,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
This is the fundamental disagreement in a nutshell. I do not need the government to tell me to put on a mask to stay safe. That is something I will do because it is a logical proactive step to stay healthy.

It is not like Abbott said not to wear a mask.
I am genuinely appreciative that you are choosing to wear a mask. Thank you. Really. I am thanking you because your wearing a mask will not only protect you, but it will protect others---like me, my wife, my mother, my kids. If everyone does what you are doing by choice, there would be no need to have/continue the mandate.

And respectfully, leadership should be using the bully pulpit to get people to do the right thing. Removing the mandate is premature, foolish, and is being done for political (not public health) reasons.

And thanks for keeping the discussion civil.....that deserves to be noted.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:29 PM

16,765 posts, read 22,111,286 times
Now you can stand knee deep in water with no electricity without a mask

Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 PM

45,373 posts, read 64,925,984 times
Just created forum sticky. There you find all San Antonio establishments that MANDATE masks. It will be updated.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:27 AM
JH6

1,422 posts, read 2,833,704 times
Good.

Texas is a free state.

If you want to wear a mask wear a mask. If a business says you have to wear a mask, and you are opposed to doing so, you can take your dollars to another business.

Very simple, and non political.

Every package of those disposable blue masks I open (made in china), says right on the package insert. "This is not a medical mask it does not protect you or others from anything".

I am not pro mask, I am not anti mask. All I have is logic, and I really wonder if those disposable masks do much of anything.

I also wonder why Walmart can have a zillion people in there at once, but GOD forbid I sit at a bar and have a cocktail.

If you want to wear a mask, do so.

Just yesterday I had to shake my head. I seen a kid walking down a country road ALONE, wearing a mask. Also seen a woman driving her SUV alone with the windows up wearing a mask. That is their right, it is also others right to choose not to wear one.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:40 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,743,928 times
Exactly. Don't be fooled into thinking that the mask is going to protect you (they may help a bit, but you aren't even close to being fully protected.). I'm a living example. Ears and eyes aren't even covered. Covid started as an earache, then down into my throat, then lungs. Full blown Covid pneumonia and a week long stay at Main Methodist helped convince me.
I know of two others where their Covid started as an eye infection, then into the throat and eventually, lungs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio