Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 02:06 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,414,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
Has anyone here worn glasses while wearing a mask? Sunglasses, other? How does that work out for you? I'll go way out on a limb here, and guess that your glasses fog up. How can that possibly be? You mean your own exhaled breath containing water vapor, you know, what a virus hitches a ride on, is escaping your double N95 masks? So much for your mask. Done. Keep right on drinking that Koolaide. The mask people haven't a clue. I'll prove it right now: without the use of a search engine, tell me *in your own words* the difference between a vector & a fomite. then, same rule as last applies, what is the rough size in microns of the COVID-19 virus? What is it's lifespan on a vector? Fomite? What is the micron size of your mask? Oh, and do your glasses ever fog up while wearing a mask? Unlike the armchair virologists out there, I spent my career in the medical field. Educate me.
It is ridiculous trying to argue with this. I am not a scientist, epidemiologist, biologist, or have any professional experience in a health or medical related field. There are really very few (if any) things I am an "expert" in. That is why I, and all reasonable, sensible, logical people rely on people who have those skill sets. It is certainly possible that the "experts" at the CDC, WHO, and other reputable, established public health organizations are wrong about the advice they are giving, but absent any other credible information from unbiased, independent, credible organizations, one would be foolish to rely on the statements of an anonymous individual who goes by the name of "Sogno" who states the entire braintrust of the Federal government's public health system is wrong. This is the problem with the internet...people like you make claims and rely on others believing what you say based upon their fears, uncertainties, or other predispositions. Yes, the info the CDC gave early on regarding the benefits of earring masks was different than what they are saying now. They did not change their minds for any reason other than they continued to analyze the data they had regarding COVID, and realized they were initially mistaken. We learn, we change, we correct our past mistakes. That is exactly what science is. And if upon further study from a credible source (and sorry Sogno, you ain't it) determines that the benefits of wearing masks are misguided, then I will follow that new guidance.

Regardless, just for the hell of it, let's suspend disbelief and pretend masks don't work. Why can't you just humor all of us idiots who think they do and just take the approach that if it makes the ignorant mask wearers feel better, let's all just wear masks. It doesn't cost much, it doesn't hurt anything, except for having fogged up glasses, and gets people like me to shut up. Humor us, and be comfortable in the knowledge you are intellectually superior to the tens of millions of people who are misguided in thinking masks work.

Last edited by WVNomad; 03-17-2021 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 08:32 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Why can't you just humor all of us idiots who think they do and just take the approach that if it makes the ignorant mask wearers feel better, let's all just wear masks. It doesn't cost much, it doesn't hurt anything, except for having fogged up glasses, and gets people like me to shut up. Humor us, and be comfortable in the knowledge you are intellectually superior to the tens of millions of people who are misguided in thinking masks work.
You're free to wear one all you wish - keep your 6' distance, and everyone is happy. Why try to foist your beliefs on others?

Old 03-17-2021, 08:48 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You're free to wear one all you wish - keep your 6' distance, and everyone is happy. Why try to foist your beliefs on others?
Because they cannot help but to impinge on others.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:13 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Why don’t we permit others to drive drunk? After all, if I want to be safe I can stay at home or take a train for transport. Why don’t we allow individuals to smoke in restaurants? After all, I can avoid second hand smoke by taking all my meals at home. Maskless people’s behavior jeopardizes the health of everyone. Public health depends on all parties wearing a mask. I’ve read your previous posts on a variety of topics.... you are a pretty smart guy. I am honestly surprised you of all people are trying to make an issue where there is a simple and recommended policy that legitimate public health organizations have clearly stated what the best course of action is. Everyone should wear a mask. Everyone should drive sober. Everyone should refrain from smoking in public places.

Having said this, I am done. You guys win. You’ve worn me out. Well played.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:41 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
I am honestly surprised you of all people are trying to make an issue where there is a simple and recommended policy that legitimate public health organizations have clearly stated what the best course of action is. Everyone should wear a mask. Everyone should drive sober. Everyone should refrain from smoking in public places.

Maybe because there's no empirical data to support those policies? Things that "kinda" work also "kinda" DON'T work - and therefore are "feel-good" policies. Remember how we were told that 6' was an absolute? Well.....now 3' is okay - did something happen that this virus suddenly got tired, or are they just now sure and are spitballing? I've worked in areas with strong PPE requirements - and not a single one would EVER accept the kinds of protocols we've been told to adopt as legitimate. And the very people that have imposed them have publicly ignored them repeatedly.

We need leaders, not rulers.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:18 AM

596 posts, read 302,523 times
Quote:
Why don’t we permit others to drive drunk? After all, if I want to be safe I can stay at home or take a train for transport. Why don’t we allow individuals to smoke in restaurants? After all, I can avoid second hand smoke by taking all my meals at home. Maskless people’s behavior jeopardizes the health of everyone. Public health depends on all parties wearing a mask. I’ve read your previous posts on a variety of topics.... you are a pretty smart guy. I am honestly surprised you of all people are trying to make an issue where there is a simple and recommended policy that legitimate public health organizations have clearly stated what the best course of action is. Everyone should wear a mask. Everyone should drive sober. Everyone should refrain from smoking in public places.

You should be worn out. And there are plenty of F you's to go around on both sides of the issue (as I stated in post #89). It's too bad people couldn't have worked together all along and been united against this thing. But unfortunately, that's not where we're at and this whole thing has been politicized (which should have never happened).

Old 03-18-2021, 07:19 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Lunch, gym and bowling yesterday...no mask.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
You should be worn out. And there are plenty of F you's to go around on both sides of the issue (as I stated in post #89). It's too bad people couldn't have worked together all along and been united against this thing. But unfortunately, that's not where we're at and this whole thing has been politicized (which should have never happened).

Meant to say "as I stated in post #77".

Old 03-18-2021, 05:03 PM

814 posts, read 676,289 times
How's the science on masks ? Seriously I'm with Dr Fauchi, its just 'common sense' - that overrules all the noise like this:
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...ave_lives.html

Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
How's the science on masks ? Seriously I'm with Dr Fauchi, its just 'common sense' - that overrules all the noise like this:
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...ave_lives.html
The problem all along however is falling back on a statement like "common sense", which simply shows close mindedness and an intellectual rigidity in refusing to look at both sides of the issue.

Although I am on the side of continuing to wear masks until we get to the percentage of people that the medical industry is calling for to be vaccinated, I can certainly understand the frustrations. There has simply been too much moving of goal posts and poor communication throughout this pandemic.

And every time a goal post is moved, it gives naysayers the opportunity to continue to be critical and claim that medical professions don't know what they're doing. Dr. Fauci himself is partly to blame for this. He is often not definitive with his recommendations, and sometimes he admits to actually moving the goal post himself. Just last month he called for 70% to be the number of people needed to be vaccinated for heard immunity. then he changed his answer to 90%, and openly admits that he lied because he did not think the public had the stomach to hear the truth at the time. The media has also been extremely disingenuous at times, doing things like focusing on cases but not including that more testing was done. And, as another poster mentioned, we are now going to a 3 ft proximity distance (which leads to the question if we are simply doing things for convenience). I continue to question how we can play sports like basketball, when players are huffing and puffing and guarding each other within mere inches (but then we put the mask on and try to distance when we sit on the bench?). I was in Vegas recently, and the rule was no more than four people per elevator. But do I truly believe we had appropriate distance from each other just because we all stood on the four corners of the elevator? Obviously not.

And yes, I realize adjustments will be made. But when you make too many of these type of changes, you start sounding like the boy that cried wolf, and that weakens your credibility. Add to that, that this thing has been completely politicized, and you can see why we are where we are at now.

Again, I wish we were all united on this thing. But from the outset, the extremes on both sides have spewed so much vitriol toward each other, that we are about as far away from being on the same page as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio