U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 01:52 AM

31 posts, read 11,799 times

Advertisements

San Marcos home pricing is attractive however we’re afraid that the schools are not up to standard. We’re eyeing the La Cima community and would love to hear any thoughts on the subject. We are a growing family with a two year old and schools and entertainment options are important to us so San Marcos seems like a great choice. Plus homes are priced lower than Austin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 05:04 AM

8,008 posts, read 10,200,713 times
Are you choosing San Marcos because you want to be in the Austin area but can’t afford it? You aren’t going to be in Austin in San Marcos. I’ve seen this a few times in the Austin forum. People ask “what do you think of San Marcos? We can’t afford Leander and Leander is a *** show of a market, but we want to be in Austin.” No. You aren’t getting Austin or Leander in San Marcos. San Marcos is a sleepy college town that is now feeling the push of suburban Austin. You also aren’t going to get Eanes (or NEISD or NISD or AHISD) education in San Marcos ISD. It’s a rural district that is catching up slowly. In addition, La Cima can be pricy. I was looking at homes earlier in the week and a few were listed in the mid 600s. Pop over to the Austin forum and get a bit more input. San Marcos is actually in the Austin metro, no San Antonio. I might look into Sunfield in Buda if being close to Austin is what you want. It’s got great kid stuff and without traffic you can be in Austin in about five minutes. Although, you are then back in another rural district

Old 03-08-2021, 11:27 AM

3,975 posts, read 4,332,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Are you choosing San Marcos because you want to be in the Austin area but can’t afford it? You aren’t going to be in Austin in San Marcos. I’ve seen this a few times in the Austin forum. People ask “what do you think of San Marcos? We can’t afford Leander and Leander is a *** show of a market, but we want to be in Austin.” No. You aren’t getting Austin or Leander in San Marcos. San Marcos is a sleepy college town that is now feeling the push of suburban Austin. You also aren’t going to get Eanes (or NEISD or NISD or AHISD) education in San Marcos ISD. It’s a rural district that is catching up slowly. In addition, La Cima can be pricy. I was looking at homes earlier in the week and a few were listed in the mid 600s. Pop over to the Austin forum and get a bit more input. San Marcos is actually in the Austin metro, no San Antonio. I might look into Sunfield in Buda if being close to Austin is what you want. It’s got great kid stuff and without traffic you can be in Austin in about five minutes. Although, you are then back in another rural district
I would not call it a sleepy college town, but everything else you stated is spot on.

If anyone is going to live between Austin and San Antonio I would pick New Braunfels. It is more attractive ascetically and has more of a sense of community. It also has a superior school system in either district that covers the city.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I would not call it a sleepy college town, but everything else you stated is spot on.

If anyone is going to live between Austin and San Antonio I would pick New Braunfels. It is more attractive ascetically and has more of a sense of community. It also has a superior school system in either district that covers the city.
I think what I meant is that it is a sleepy college town that is now getting an influx of urban refugees who can't afford Austin anymore. Agreed on New Braunfels, but that puts you in the SA metro and god forbid someone who wants to live in Austin lives in the San Antonio metro.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:19 PM

56 posts, read 13,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think what I meant is that it is a sleepy college town that is now getting an influx of urban refugees who can't afford Austin anymore. Agreed on New Braunfels, but that puts you in the SA metro and god forbid someone who wants to live in Austin lives in the San Antonio metro.
Why you say that? I feel like it's close enough to be able to enjoy what Austin has to offer without having to pay Austin prices.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
Why you say that? I feel like it's close enough to be able to enjoy what Austin has to offer without having to pay Austin prices.
On a Sunday it can take 30 minutes to get from the outlets to Ben White. On a pre-Covid rush hour day it can take 20 minutes to get ON 35 from Onion creek. You couldn’t pay me to commute into Austin from anywhere south of that. But, that’s just me and this is the San Antonio forum, not the Austin forum.

Also, 600k is pricey anywhere along the 35 corridor, whether it’s southeast San Antonio or north Austin. And 600k was for a 3/2 new build on a 50 foot lot.

For a commute to SM from SA expect a 45 minute to an hour commute to SM from the northwest side of town. My father’s been doing it since 1999.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:01 AM

6,149 posts, read 7,234,122 times
I did an Austin trip this past weekend. Not sure I would want to live anywhere off I-35 between Austin and San Antonio if it means I have to use I-35 daily.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I did an Austin trip this past weekend. Not sure I would want to live anywhere off I-35 between Austin and San Antonio if it means I have to use I-35 daily.
I'll take 10 and 1604 traffic any day over any traffic on 35.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:35 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,207,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
+1

If I absolutely have to live in NB, or nearby, I would be as far from 35 as possible.

Old Today, 08:59 PM

1 posts
I live in SM and we never go to Austin anymore because the traffic is nuts. So, you probably won’t go as often as you think.

Schools are ok, La Cima feeds into Hernandez, which has a dual language program, if that’s interesting to you. Crockett is great, but transferring can be difficult to non-existent, so be sure to live in the zone where you want your child to attend. The district is 100% free lunch because over 70% of students qualify.

Childcare options are limited. There are also limited summer options. Entertainment is focused mostly on the student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio