Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 07:14 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I've never heard of anyone in Bexar County with Homestead & Over-65 Exemptions getting anything more than a 1% increase in their total annual tax bill, because most entities have frozen the tax dollar amount at age 65.

10% increase? Something can't be right, like the Over-65 Exemption hasn't been properly applied, or something.
Here are 2020 taxes and exemptions:
https://www.bexar.org/3331/2020-Offi...tes-Exemptions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 07:35 PM

207 posts, read 320,362 times
Quote:
I've never heard of anyone in Bexar County with Homestead & Over-65 Exemptions getting anything more than a 1% increase in their total annual tax bill, because most entities have frozen the tax dollar amount at age 65.

10% increase? Something can't be right, like the Over-65 Exemption hasn't been properly applied, or something.
Yeah, I'm over 65 with homestead exemption. My appraisal went up 20% and my tax payment went up $29.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here are 2020 taxes and exemptions:
https://www.bexar.org/3331/2020-Offi...tes-Exemptions
I don't understand what I am reading there. Why does it say "n/a" for Bexar county and Homestead Exemption?

Old 04-12-2021, 02:27 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I don't understand what I am reading there. Why does it say "n/a" for Bexar county and Homestead Exemption?
Because Bexar County doesn't grant Exemptions for Homestead, Just Disabled and Over-65.

City of San Antonio just started granting Homestead Exemptions a couple of years ago. Some surrounding municipalities do not grant exemptions, period.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:56 PM

814 posts, read 675,479 times
Lots of my neighborhood folks on the Neighborhood blog say they got large land increases along with small changes to the building. But, here's the kicker: bottom line went up exactly 10%.
Computer algorithm is in charge.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:11 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
Quote:
Because Bexar County doesn't grant Exemptions for Homestead, Just Disabled and Over-65.

City of San Antonio just started granting Homestead Exemptions a couple of years ago. Some surrounding municipalities do not grant exemptions, period.
Interesting! So everyone in our neighborhood is always telling people to make sure they apply for the Homestead Exemption when they buy their new home. But it sounds like the Homestead Exemption doesn't do anything for us since we are outside of the city, in Bexar County?

Old 04-13-2021, 08:28 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Interesting! So everyone in our neighborhood is always telling people to make sure they apply for the Homestead Exemption when they buy their new home. But it sounds like the Homestead Exemption doesn't do anything for us since we are outside of the city, in Bexar County?
DO apply for the exemption. The largest percentage (by far) of property taxes goes to the school districts which DO apply exemptions. For example, the homestead exemption is worth $320/yr if you live in Northside ISD.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
DO apply for the exemption. The largest percentage (by far) of property taxes goes to the school districts which DO apply exemptions. For example, the homestead exemption is worth $320/yr if you live in Northside ISD.
Yes, you can still get the school tax Homestead Exemption wherever you are, and the schools take the biggest bite out of your tax bill.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:05 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
I've heard that land values should not be greater than 25% of your improvements. Thus you should be able to protest land values. Any insights on this idea?

Old 04-15-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I've heard that land values should not be greater than 25% of your improvements. Thus you should be able to protest land values. Any insights on this idea?
Never heard of such a thing.

My land value is 95% of the improvement value. As i posted earlier, all the lots on my block are virtually the same size, and vary very little in appraised dollar value, regardless of what improvements are on them. Improvement values do vary considerably, though, due to significant variations in the size of the homes, outbuildings, whether or not it has a swimming pool, etc. I've been told to my face by a BCAD Appraiser that land values are not contestable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio