Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM

36 posts, read 97,286 times

Advertisements

I am moving from San Diego California to San Antonio in July. I need to fly to San Antonio sometime before the end of May to house hunt. I have a 14 yr old and a 5 yr old, I must take with me. Does anyone know of any family friendly airlines that are reasonably priced, prices are so high and we're on a serious budget, trying to save for our move. My kids have never flown before and my 14 yr old is afraid to fly. My 5 yr. old is very active and I know it'll be hard for her to stay still for 5 hours. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
The simplest way to save on airfare is to buy your tickets early. That's particularly important now that airlines are raising fares due to rising fuel prices. I just read in the morning paper that several airlines raised fares by $20 simultaneously on a bunch of routes for that reason.

Last time I flew to San Diego from here, I took Southwest.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
I am moving from San Diego California to San Antonio in July. I need to fly to San Antonio sometime before the end of May to house hunt. I have a 14 yr old and a 5 yr old, I must take with me. Does anyone know of any family friendly airlines that are reasonably priced, prices are so high and we're on a serious budget, trying to save for our move. My kids have never flown before and my 14 yr old is afraid to fly. My 5 yr. old is very active and I know it'll be hard for her to stay still for 5 hours. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
That is going to be tough to get a good price on that short of notice, I would see what Southwest has. Also check other alternate airports in Orange County and LA....

If you have the time another option could be the Amtrak Sunset Limited. I just priced two adults and two children at $768 total from Los Angeles to San Antonio round trip. Takes 30 hours each way though....

Old 05-09-2008, 01:01 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
Southwest has the only non-stops. It won't be 5 hours...most likely 2.5 hours going East. A little longer going back West. We moved from SD as well.

10:20 AM AND 2:35 PM are the departure times for the 2 Southwest non-stops from SD to SA.

Here's another tip: Try flying on off-peak days..usually Tuesday/Wednesday are the best. Loads are usually lighter...and you can sometimes grab a good price.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 05-09-2008 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 AM

36 posts, read 97,286 times
Thanks so much for the replies, I don't have much travel time I only have 5 days to get there and back. I'm going to try Southwest, I hope I can book a flight that's not too expensive. Thanks again everyone.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
You may find it worthwhile to look into flying out from John Wayne. I got good deals from there, and it was a pretty decent place to get in and out from.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 AM

21 posts, read 80,469 times
We've been flying Southwest from Orlando, FL because it's the only airline that has non-stop flights. They also have "web only" flights which are pretty inexpensive. They do not have assigned seating. You can check in up to 24 hours prior and you can be one of the first to get into the plane. My DH and I have not had a problem sitting together and we've flown to SA 8 times since Feb. I (alone)will be flying with our 3 kids in 3 weeks for our final time. That's when we'll be moving. DH is driving with animals.
As you can imagine the flights to and from Orlando are full of children(Disney,etc.) and the flight attendants seem pretty friendly.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: