Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,209 times

Advertisements

Hey all, so I’ve been doing some research and watching videos and I think we’re really motivated on making the move to San Antonio in the next couple months. I am 26 and my BF is 24. I’m currently pregnant and have a 6 mo old baby already. We both currently work at the military base with Aafes (civilians). SA really caught my eye when I saw that there were 3 military bases to which we could transfer our jobs to, so that’s been a huge plus. My main concerns and worries are being able to find safe and affordable areas to rent for under $1000 and preferably 2-3 bedrooms. Right now I’m looking at some apartments close to Lackland in the Leon valley area and culebra rd on the outer side of 1604. But would like to know if about any complexes around those areas. Also since we don’t know which base we’ll be working at yet would this area be reasonable for a commute to Fort Sam or Randolph? Also does anyone know of safe areas around Fort Sam or Randolph and would the commute from there to Lackland be a good idea. Safety, affordability and good school districts are big requirements as well maybe some nice areas to take the kids to play with shopping nearby.
I’m so excited to hear about everybody’s recommendations and any helpful advice. It’s just me and him and we could use all the help we can get! We look forward to moving to San Antonio sooner rather than later. We are ready to leave this small minded town and we just want a better future for our kids to grow up in. There is just no growth here.
Thank youuuu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:57 PM

109 posts, read 71,055 times
Check out apartments off pinn rd, they cheap in your price range. Hoods out here ain't too bad so don't get scared and save some money

Old 04-14-2021, 05:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
Check out apartments off pinn rd, they cheap in your price range. Hoods out here ain't too bad so don't get scared and save some money
Don’t look in this area. Leon valley is good. Look into the medical center and areas near 78245 if you want to be closer to Lackland. 78216 and 78217 would be good for being closer to fort Sam. 78209 would be the best for central and access to both (although it’s closer to fort Sam). You may want to find a locator. At 1000, you should be able to find something safe, not new, but safe. Search the forum, too. It’s been kind of quiet here lately. There’s lots of people relocating because of the military who post here.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
78212 or even downtown area might be a good, central location.

If you like the country and end up near Lackland you can look into Lackland.

As for being near Fort Sam, you can get to it pretty easily from most parts of the city unless you live super far out.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:06 PM

245 posts, read 235,876 times
The entire area around Randolph is safe. I can't speak specifically about apartment complexes or houses for rent around there, but I do know that the Schertz, Cibolo, Universal City, Selma area is very safe. I work at Randolph and commute from New Braunfels.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
The entire area around Randolph is safe. I can't speak specifically about apartment complexes or houses for rent around there, but I do know that the Schertz, Cibolo, Universal City, Selma area is very safe. I work at Randolph and commute from New Braunfels.
They said lackland and girt Sam from the way I read it. Being near Randolph would be the opposite side of town if they worked at lackland.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:52 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,231 times
I would be much more comfortable living near Randolph personally but none of the bases/posts are anywhere near each other. You definitely will want to know which base/post you need to be near.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:40 PM

Get a job at Randolph, if possible, and live in the Schertz, Cibolo, UC, or Selma area. That is my advice.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:21 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,057 times
What NBTX 11 says is good. First try to get the job at one of the bases, and then move. I have lived here in Schertz since 1971. Dad was a Chief Master Sargent in the Airforce and retired from Randolph in 1975. There are various apartment complexes around here. NOt sure what they run.However, you can check with Randolph Realty for information on houses in Universal City, Live Oak, Cibolo and Schertz, Selma and even Converse. Lot of growth out this way. Both Schertz and Universal City have several parks.Both UC and Schertz have libraries. We have a YMCA here, and there is another one in Cibolo, but not as big.Grocery shopping is Walmart, Arlan's Market and H.E.B. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are in San Antonio in Alamo Heights.The towns around here have various activities We also have Santikos Entertainment in Cibolo which shows movies, bowling etc. Evo Entertainment in Schertz is just up the access road from Santikos.They too show movies, play games,etc. New Braunfels has various activities restaurants and parks.There are also state parks around here as well.Lot of people go to Creekside in New Braunfels or The Forum at Olympia hills for shopping.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:08 PM

I would definitely recommend living in New Braunfels also and commuting to Randolph. Great town, I have done it for the past almost 20 years. With only two caveats. One, housing costs are getting expensive in New Braunfels, and secondly, you will have to drive 30 minutes to Randolph (around 20 miles or so). If you don't mind commuting, I would definitely recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio