Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM

226 posts, read 926,138 times

Advertisements

I have talked to several people that have bought recently built homes, and home that have been built several years ago. A common theme is that alot of the builders don't install three and four way light switches. Many times you don't have a light switch to turn on/off a light switch as you enter or exit a room that might have two-3 access points.

Other parts of the country it is a local code requirement to have a light switch at all access points to a room. Apparently this is not a code requirement in the San Antonio area.

Did your builder short you on your light switches?

Who was your home builder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,464 times
We have plenty of switches, and outlets, but the wiring/box can't take much of a load. For example, if I turn on a fan on my side of the bathroom, it trips the GFCI on the other side. And there's no room in my current box for upgrades.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
My buiilder was Centex and I have switches at every room change except for the one between the kitchen and one of the living rooms. That's probably because there really isn't much to place it on. It's mostly cut out so you can see one from the other with only one small vertical surface.

and they don't really leave room for additions in the box. Mine isn't as bad as gwrober, but it's not that great either.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
The only one I have is the down-stair/up-stair switches that control the light along the stairs. Doing some electrical work myself, I've noticed that the builders don't allow any extra wire in case you want to relocate a switch/plug.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
I have plenty of switches and have three ways where appropriate. Now...don't even ask what happens if you go to add more during the build. But for what was included standard with the house - perfect. I am building a KB home in the Quarry at Iron Mountain and their electrical package is just fine.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 AM

933 posts, read 1,978,544 times
I bought a resale Centex home and there are two locations without extra switches...both at the ends of hallways! Go figure. Definitely not something that would have prevented me from buying the house, but still a minor head shaking irritant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: