Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 AM

146 posts, read 517,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
Yes the access/frontage roads will be free.... So you will still have to deal with the same stoplights you currently do when traveling 281 if you choose not to pay tolls.

I live in IL and haven't been to SA yet, so I'm clueless about the roads in that area. All I know is when I look at mapquest it doesn't show a stop light route from Bulverde to Sonterra Blvd/Stone Oak/1604 area. It only shows the 281 route. So how many minutes do you think it would take to travel between the following destinations using the stop light route the few of you have been typing about?

Driving Directions from 30905 Deerfield Ter, Bulverde, TX to 5025 Antler Pass, Bulverde, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
I live in IL and haven't been to SA yet, so I'm clueless about the roads in that area. All I know is when I look at mapquest it doesn't show a stop light route from Bulverde to Sonterra Blvd/Stone Oak/1604 area. It only shows the 281 route. So how many minutes do you think it would take to travel between the following destinations using the stop light route the few of you have been typing about?

Driving Directions from 30905 Deerfield Ter, Bulverde, TX to 5025 Antler Pass, Bulverde, TX
281 north of 1604 is currently stop lights. It can sometimes take 2 hours to travel the route during peak traffic hours. Of course, once the toll is opened congestion would be reduced.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:

The map you quoted doesn't indicate that you need to use 281 at all.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Actually metro areas are very clearly defined by the census bureau. SA's metro area ends at the county lines of Comal, Guadalupe, Wilson, Atascosa, Medina, Bandera, and Kendall counties. The population of those counties (plus Bexar county) makes up the SA metro area. Because all of those counties are still primarily rural, the greater SA area doesn't have significant population outside of the SA city limits. All of the other 10 largest cities in the US have significant (i.e., 3-4 million+ people) outside the limits of their primary cities.

If SA had the same ratio of metro size to primary city size, then the population of SA proper would probably be closer to 500-800k, in which case it would only be the 15th-20th largest US city.

I wish it was only that big, then so many people wouldn't come on this forum saying "for the 7th largest US city, SA sure doesn't have a lot of ______".
I don't think that would be good for SA's rep though. Since SA is a annex city it annex's the land so it can gain the benefits of that land. Which means if SA were to somehow give up some land to be more proportional then it couldn't reap those benefits, let me give and example. Is SA were to cut off the outer 410 area so all that land would be a separate suburbs, this would lead to a huge decrease in population and economic advantages.
Now that SA has a smaller population the crime is that same but the crime-rate would increase a lot giving SA a bad rep which could loose plenty of tourist. This will lead to the death and decay of the city we know as San Antonio and I don't want that to happen. SA is doing fine now and even though growing pains are stressful the decaying of a city is much more painful.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 PM

27 posts, read 117,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
281 north of 1604 is currently stop lights. It can sometimes take 2 hours to travel the route during peak traffic hours. Of course, once the toll is opened congestion would be reduced.
That might be a an exaggeration.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrunner View Post
The current 8-mile route in question poses terrible congestion. Though not often it has taken the better part of 2 hours to get through. This may have been the result of an accident or lane closure however. Those threats still exist and under the wrong circumstances can be a nightmare.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 AM

418 posts, read 1,239,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrunner View Post
Don't be silly

We need to be on the Hush hush. 4th of July is coming up. Let people take their canyon lake traffic up 35 and even i-10.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 AM

146 posts, read 517,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
The map you quoted doesn't indicate that you need to use 281 at all.
Oops, I posted the wrong link last time.

Driving Directions from 31119 Bulverde Hills Dr, Bulverde, TX to 607 E Sonterra Blvd, San Antonio, TX

Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 AM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
282 is the Stoplight Route there is something like 4 or 5 lights on your shown route now. The toll lanes when built will not be stoplight, but the free lanes in most cases will still have the stoplights. I.e. the free lanes while moving around some to make room for the toll lanes will stay like they are now.

As far as time to travel, I avoid that area.... I'm sure people who travel it on a more consistent basis can tell you more.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:

Quote:
You have to look closely at the map, but you'll notice that the line for 281 changes color at Sonterra from a dark orange to a lighter colored orange. The dark orange color indicates a freeway; the lighter colored orange indicates a "primary highway" (which means a surface road with at-grade intersections that often have traffic signals.) Note that the lighter orange is the same line used for SH 46, Bandera Rd., the southern 2/3 of 1604, etc., all of which are also non-freeway roads. I realize that you're not familiar with the local roads, but all you have to do is compare that line with the lines used for the Interstates (which you know are of course freeways), and you can tell that they're different types of roads. When in doubt, you can always click the map legend link at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio