Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 08:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
You will find that probably 75% of GS-12s and up have the military background/experience AND the education, so that's that. So don't think that just because you are a military retiree by default you will automatically be chosen over someone that can bring more to the table than just the DD214. It can be really competitive when it gets to certain levels in government type positions.
And I can get a job without having that "military" culture and background. Even if my co-workers have a similar education to me (My masters program was veteran-heavy because they had a military concentration). If for some reason I was able to interview and get the position, the environment wouldn't be a good fit because everyone else would have the "military" mentality. I appreciate acknowledging that military folks could and do have the same education background, but there's still a culture that just doesn't click with me. And again, part of why SA just isn't a fit for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 07:48 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
"military" mentality
A lot of this in SA and it doesn't serve the city well for any progress.

Stay in line, stay quiet and keep your head down should be this city's motto at times.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:26 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
A lot of this in SA and it doesn't serve the city well for any progress.

Stay in line, stay quiet and keep your head down should be this city's motto at times.
IMO, the military don't have anything to do with SA's lack of progress. If anything it should add to it considering they come from all parts of the U.S. and come with here with that mentality. Big business=growth, and big business seems to not want to invest in SA.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
This. And to some degree, the same mentality is used at USAA.

San Antonio still has almost zero independent tech sector. Creative/design jobs pay well below what other cities of comparable size do. It sometimes feels as if this city actively tries to drive post-uni grads away. SA is a place that people might eventually come back to, but if they're educated and want to make a good living, they know well enough to leave when they're in their most productive years.

Fixing this is a bit of 'the chicken or the egg' conundrum.

San Antonio has a smaller tech sector than cities like, Austin. However, Austin's other economic clusters/industries offer less opportunity than what you will find in San Antonio. There are other industries than just the tech sector. S.A. has more opportunities in Healthcare-Biosciences, Finance-Insurance, energy, or Aerospace. The pay scale may be higher in Austin, but the COL and the price of housing is outrageous. This levels the playing field a bit as far as disposable income for workers in S.A. in comparison with Austin's.

San Antonio may not be considered an intellectual hub, or a city that attracts or retains a high level of talent, but it is far from being a city that is devoid of progress because of the level of educational attainment. This stat below is from 2000-2010. This is an indicator that San Antonio is a city that is improving as far as brain gain, and based on the city's population growth it is safe to say it is attracting young talent, and retaining college grads.

S.A. a magnet for college grads.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...ds-3773632.php

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 10-05-2021 at 10:45 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 04:11 AM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio may not be considered an intellectual hub, or a city that attracts or retains a high level of talent, but it is far from being a city that is devoid of progress because of the level of educational attainment. This stat below is from 2000-2010. This is an indicator that San Antonio is a city that is improving as far as brain gain, and based on the city's population growth it is safe to say it is attracting young talent, and retaining college grads.
Definitely agree, different dynamic than Austin but with all of these high-rate apartments and $500k+ townhouses going up left and right around downtown... there's obviously a market to fill it.

I think a lot of people forget SA is only the 24th biggest metro, the "7th biggest city" title is misleading. If more people compared it to cities in it's ballpark like Charlotte, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, Portland, etc, the numbers make more sense.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I think a lot of people forget SA is only the 24th biggest metro, the "7th biggest city" title is misleading. If more people compared it to cities in it's ballpark like Charlotte, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, Portland, etc, the numbers make more sense.
But a most people use that misleading "7th largest city" when evaluating what we have/don't have locally, when the metropolitan area population is what really counts.

San Antonio isn't surrounded by large-population suburban cities the way many others are. "7th largest city" isn't counting municipalities like Alamo Heights, Castle Hills, Universal City, etc.; or unincorporated areas of the county . Include those areas, and now we're only 24th largest.

Old 10-09-2021, 12:59 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Quote:
San Antonio has a smaller tech sector than cities like, Austin. However, Austin's other economic clusters/industries offer less opportunity than what you will find in San Antonio. There are other industries than just the tech sector. S.A. has more opportunities in Healthcare-Biosciences, Finance-Insurance, energy, or Aerospace. The pay scale may be higher in Austin, but the COL and the price of housing is outrageous. This levels the playing field a bit as far as disposable income for workers in S.A. in comparison with Austin's.

S.A. a magnet for college grads.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...ds-3773632.php

These stats are now more than a decade old.

It would be interesting to see how they've changed since.

I think you hit it on the head when saying this city isn't an 'intelligence hub.' SA has always been a town more generally concerned with what new fast-food outlet is opening versus having a well-supported arts scene (or anything cultural for that matter). It's clearly a difficult pattern of behavior to break.

I wouldn't call Austin outrageous in pricing. Perhaps by San Antonio standards, but it's not at Southern California or Manhattan levels. It's really just on-par with Houston and Dallas, which are major cities where it's to be expected that costs run higher.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:28 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
I'm pretty certain San Antonio's college attainment percentage has increased this past decade.

As far as Austin real estate it is definitely overpriced for a city that lacks big city amenities that you find in Dallas, Houston, or even S.A. Austin is a nice city but nothing extraordinary. Seriously, what does Austin have that the other big Texas cities don't and vice versa?

Old 10-11-2021, 06:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
I'm pretty certain San Antonio's college attainment percentage has increased this past decade.

As far as Austin real estate it is definitely overpriced for a city that lacks big city amenities that you find in Dallas, Houston, or even S.A. Austin is a nice city but nothing extraordinary. Seriously, what does Austin have that the other big Texas cities don't and vice versa?
Tech and music. And now Tesla. (This is not me endorsing the city, just answering your question).

Old 10-11-2021, 07:20 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Tech and music. And now Tesla. (This is not me endorsing the city, just answering your question).
Austin won't be the only city with automotive manufacturer. Telsa is just one of few out there. GM and Toyota both have plants in Texas also. Arlington Assembly in the DFW metroplex area and Toyota here in San Antonio. San Antonio will also get Navistar soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio