Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 06:24 AM

8 posts, read 6,362 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently living in the DC area and considering a move to San Antonio in the near future. Briefly about me: Male, 34yo, single. Politically moderate, enjoy golf, working out, grabbing a coffee or drink here and there. I also hate cold weather and snow, which is why I am looking to Texas. Florida doesn't appeal to me, and I am not moving to the West Coast.

I have been in the DC area 10 years now (I live on Maryland side, just outside DC), originally from Michigan and moved here right after college. I feel like I need a change in scenery, and my job has recently given me the option to remote work anywhere in the lower 48. DC just has too much traffic, crowded, and very transient. It's also very political (I'm not), people are always in a rush, and can be stand-offish. As far as income, I will be making around 90-95k, and having no state income tax is one of the reasons I considered Texas. Austin was great, but probably too young, and Houston too crowded and probably similar to DC. DFW just didn't really appeal to me much when I was there. Hence, looking to San Antonio as an option to relocate to.

I was looking to the La Cantera/Rim area, as I don't think the Pearl or those areas closer to downtown would fit me well. I grew up in the suburbs, and have not enjoyed city living the couple times I have done it. Would this area be suitable for a single 30s male? My other interests can be found anywhere (golf, gym, etc.), so I am more concerned about being around other singles (e.g., females LOL) who are in my age range. Does anyone live in this area and have any feedback?

Also, there seems to be two areas of La Cantera, on either side of I-10. Is any one side preferable to the other for what I am looking for? I don't plan on hitting up the bars every night or anything, but just meeting women in passing who are in my age range (probably mid-20s to mid-30s).

I plan to make a trip down to SA in January to check it out (and escape the cold). I will try to get a Air B&B in the La Cantera area to hopefully get the most accurate experience. But anything I know before I go would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 10:28 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
La Cantera and Rim feel like fine places to go, but not to live. I don't get the appeal.

They're concrete jungles. Large parking lots and big box stores. One Darden eatery after another Best Buy.

I really think, based on your age, you need to look into Pearl, Southtown, King William and Government Hill. There's an genuine authenticity to those neighborhoods that you will not find in Cantera/Rim.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Come and visit before narrowing it down. Is the income tax reason the only reason you're thinking of San Antonio? The way I feel about La Cantera is that there is one side with the big box stores (Target/Old Navy/TJ Maxx, etc) and then the side with the bougey shopping (The actual shops at La Cantera). I don't see a very big difference between the two areas. You might need a quick uber over the Shops at La Cantera if you want to go out at night if you don't live on that side. Maybe you could find parking? But I'm not quite sure. As someone who is from San Antonio, both areas feel overwhelming crowded and a bit packed in, so I don't know if you'll like it given you don't like city living. For that reason, if you want something a bit more suburban but near cool/hip stuff I'm consider the area between 410 and 1604 along IH 10. You'd be able to get to the things in Medical Center (there's a lot more than meets the eye in the area), to the UTSA/Rim area, or to downtown easily. Austin may be a good fit, you might not be looking in the right area, areas north or south of the city sound more like your vibe. I'm in my mid/late 30s and find Austin to be perfect for my age range. Directly in town it's a bit fast and furious, but even a few minutes outside of the CBD it's a bit more laid back.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
...then the side with the bougey shopping (The actual shops at La Cantera).
And frankly, it's pretty tame shopping for a city of this size. We could use better shops.

That said, most people just want to visit the mall, not live in it.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
And frankly, it's pretty tame shopping for a city of this size. We could use better shops.

That said, most people just want to visit the mall, not live in it.
Yet there are apartments. I assume many are rented by Mexican nationals.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Yet there are apartments. I assume many are rented by Mexican nationals.
The condos on the Rim side, yeah. Almost all nationals. A lot of airbnbs.

The rest are just run-of-the-mill apartments and tract homes.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Lots of upward mobile people living in NW SA. Including singles and staff at UTSA and Medical jobs.

Op should do plenty of research on social media / Meetup, as SA is a huge change from DC. Austin is of course a better singles mecca. But personally.... I would live in SA and visit Austin (frequently).

Worth trying them both for a few years.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:52 PM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
I'd say the Rim/La Cantera is like our version of Pike & Rose in North Bethesda. So if that's your vibe it could work. There's definitely a good amount of college kids in that area because of UTSA but bars like George's Keep and Rock & Rye have people in that age demo. Overall I'd say that area is a mixed bag crowd wise.

Like someone else said, a lot of transplants from out of state end up down by the Pearl so that could work too. It's in the city but it doesn't really have a hustle and bustle feel imo, especially not compared to DC. If anything you could maybe make a comparison to some place in Arlington like Clarendon or Ballston but even then I feel like it's slower paced than that lol.

Honestly Stone Oak could work for you. There's a lot of young professionals in the apartment complexs up here and every time I'm at Little Woodrows or Stout House theres a ton of people in that age bracket.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I'd say the Rim/La Cantera is like our version of Pike & Rose in North Bethesda. So if that's your vibe it could work. There's definitely a good amount of college kids in that area because of UTSA but bars like George's Keep and Rock & Rye have people in that age demo. Overall I'd say that area is a mixed bag crowd wise.

Like someone else said, a lot of transplants from out of state end up down by the Pearl so that could work too. It's in the city but it doesn't really have a hustle and bustle feel imo, especially not compared to DC. If anything you could maybe make a comparison to some place in Arlington like Clarendon or Ballston but even then I feel like it's slower paced than that lol.

Honestly Stone Oak could work for you. There's a lot of young professionals in the apartment complexs up here and every time I'm at Little Woodrows or Stout House theres a ton of people in that age bracket.
Agreed on stone oak. My sister, in her early 30s, just moved to stone oak.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 6,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post

Haha, I go to Pike&Rose all the time, and actually really like that area. It's big enough to have enough places, but not a complete cluster unless it's prime time on weekends (and that's only really because I have to drive, I don't mind the number of people walking around).

Thanks everyone for the advice here! Looks like probably either the Pearl or La Cantera. I will have to take a trip down to see what area suits me best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio