Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
About every 2-3 months it seems like the chief's grand marshall stint is mentioned in a letter to the editor of the Express-News, as part of the letter-writer du jour's litany of complaints against him. I'm glad to hear that none of my fellow C-Ders are carrying the same grudge, because I think it's petty for those people to grind that ax.
Completely agree. I think it is time for some people to realize the age they are living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Not only is it not implemented, the plan we're hearing about is more like a trial balloon than a foregone conclusion. There are many details to be ironed out before such a major change could be implemented.
With all due respect, if it were YOUR livelihood being threatened, can you honestly say you wouldn't want people talking before it was implemented?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM

127 posts, read 495,015 times
***HOPE THIS HAPPENS***
It's a plan that I am 100% behind

Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledWife View Post
***HOPE THIS HAPPENS***
Do you have a young airport cop husband or something that is going to get a hefty raise if this is implemented? Why the enthusiasm, if you don't mind sharing with the class?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
With all due respect, if it were YOUR livelihood being threatened, can you honestly say you wouldn't want people talking before it was implemented?
No one is suggesting that this should be decided by the chief and city manager unilaterally. City council will need to be sold on the process for implementation. They showed in the decision about the transition to automated trash collection that they are compassionate and protective of current employees. (Not one solid waste worker was removed from the payroll during that transition.) No one should waste a second worrying that City Council will make a snap decision that puts veteran officers on the streets. It would be hugely unpopular. Most of the current council and the mayor were endorsed by the police union (SAPOA). SAPOA funded an ad campaign during the last city election for the candidates they endorsed, and it's reasonable to expect they'll be calling in that favor and reminding the endorsed members of council to protect their members' interests.

I don't believe that this is a decision that should be made with dueling soundbites in the media. There are appropriate ways to involve the stakeholders. City Council can and should insist that the respective unions be brought to the table and placated before they sign off on the decision.

Last edited by Bo; 05-19-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Is there an age cutoff for the sanitation workers? How about a sanitation academy that they need to attend? Just curious....

Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Is there an age cutoff for the sanitation workers? How about a sanitation academy that they need to attend? Just curious....
I trust that the process will make those questions moot. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a city council full of trainees, but I have faith that Mayor Phil's steady hand will make sure that this goes down the right way.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledWife View Post
***HOPE THIS HAPPENS***
********THANK YOU FOR YOUR PASSION******************

Why is it good that a 45 year old fit man with EXPERIENCE is bouted by a six pack weilding rookie with no experience?

On top of already being short of officers do you see no other negative affects?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 PM

168 posts, read 483,030 times
You're the first one to mention it in this thread. In a more open forum at the Express News which is less sterile than this environment, the chief is literally being lambasted over this subject but NO ONE has even mentioned this parade thing. I guess that's why they call them hunches because they're not always true or correct. It's starting to make we wonder why it was even brought up. Take a gander for yourself:

Combining city police agencies - MySanantonio.com Bulletin Board | MySA.com

Quote:
I've been highly suspicious that some folks' objectivity about the chief is clouded by their outrage over his grand marshall stint last year, but I doubt anyone will admit to that.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 PM

121 posts, read 488,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I have a good friend that was dying to become a police officer. He's 36 and had huge problems because most departments use 35 as the cut-off age. He finally got in with Wilmington, Delaware PD. There has to be more to this. Has anyone asked the tough questions yet? What is the reasoning behind the 45 age cut-off (assuming that one is qualified)? Police Union contract with the city? Is it insurance exposure? What is the benefit to the citizens of SA?
Why would it take hours for a response to a park if SAPD is going to have more officers?
Good luck to your husband.
The reason for the age 45 cut off is because the mandatory retirement age is 65. That way the person that enters at 45 can get in the minimum 20 years to qualify for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio