Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times

Advertisements

I was just clarifying my position; it's up to everyone else to misinterpret other people's posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:02 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I was just clarifying my position; it's up to everyone else to misinterpret other people's posts

what he said.........

Old 05-19-2008, 10:03 AM

180 posts, read 794,048 times
I think Wal-Mart has better prices, HEB better selection but I shop the "loss leaders" and especially the "get this free when you buy this" (only if we use the products in the first place) and that works out to some great deals.

Also, (forgive me if you all probably knew this) Wal-Mart will price match HEB and Target ads (for the same product and not anything free) so to save a trip to HEB, I'll bring in the ad and get them to price match. That is nice especially with the high gas prices, to not have to make a seperate trip.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
I think Wal-Mart has better prices, HEB better selection but I shop the "loss leaders" and especially the "get this free when you buy this" (only if we use the products in the first place) and that works out to some great deals.

Also, (forgive me if you all probably knew this) Wal-Mart will price match HEB and Target ads (for the same product and not anything free) so to save a trip to HEB, I'll bring in the ad and get them to price match. That is nice especially with the high gas prices, to not have to make a seperate trip.
No, I didn't know that, so thank you!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
Well.... I actually DID come in here intending to respond to the original poster....

soooooo....

I too am a transplant to the fair, fine city of San Antonio. Where I last lived, I had many, many grocery shopping options, and never gave it a second thought. In fact, until moving here to SA, I had never experienced a dearth of grocery store options...

I go to Walmart AND HEB..... If I have something else I need and I know I can get it at Walmart and it just so happens I could use some groceries also, I go there....
If no other good reason to go to Walmart, I go to HEB.....
I also occasionally go to Sun Harvest; they have some whole grain products that I like and somehow - can't prove it - the produce seems fresher and 'healthier' looking there..... Sun Harvest also has some nice meats at surprisingly reasonable prices.
I have not found a Handy Andy or Fiesta, but would be willing to try them....
A particular point about Walmart:

I don't know where you live, but I am probably nearly equidistant from both Bandera at Culebra and the one at Culebra at 1604..... I CLEARLY favor the Walmart at Culebra/1604 over the other .... However!! the store that I favor sells meat that has been pre-packed outside the store and some meats in minimum quantities that are still too much for me. They pack them in deep plastic containers and then seal a cellophane-like 'lid' over them. I can never buy some of their meats because they sell only quantities that are way too much for me and no one there locally can 're-distribute and re-pack' them.... so I rarely buy fresh meats there.... pity, because I really prefer that store otherwise.... oh, and the other thing about the 'cellophane lid' on the meat package... they seem to always be so tight and 'bulging'. an indication there's a lot of air trapped in there.... dries out the meat.....
I don't find the prices at HEB to be out of order, personally....

sorry, kinda pirated your thread playin' around with rd up there......

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
oh, and the other thing about the 'cellophane lid' on the meat package... they seem to always be so tight and 'bulging'. an indication there's a lot of air trapped in there.... dries out the meat.....
Someone told me that those "bulging" meat packages are filled with pure nitrogen. The air that we breathe has a high percentage of nitrogen, so the practice is perfectly safe, but it's the oxygen in air that makes meat oxidize and spoil faster. By packaging it in pure nitrogen, Wal-Mart is able to extend the shelf life of its meat.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
does anyone know if HEB will price match wally world? I have seen the flyers and liked some of the prices, but will still pay more to not shop there. It would be nice to save money and still not shop there though..

Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 AM

180 posts, read 794,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No, I didn't know that, so thank you!
You're very welcome! I especially like to do it when HEB has grapes for (now it is a little higher) 99 cents and Wal-Mart has them for almost a dollar more. As long as it is "red seedless" to "red seedless" (or if the sale is on green seedless), then they should adjust the price.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:03 AM

121 posts, read 488,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I think there is one within a mile of EVERYONES house here in SA
does anyone know the exact number of Walgreens here? They have to be in the 100's. They do have good milk prices too, which I find odd because most everything else they sell is way over priced.
I also think the huge crowds that are always at the Potranco HEB+ speaks volumes, especially when you compare it to the wally world that's less than a mile away. I don't think I've ever seen more than 100 cars in that lot.

I think the reason that Wal-Mart at 1604 and Potranco does such small business is because the geniuses faced it AWAY from 1604. From 1604 it is just a big beige building

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I actually shared you opinions about Wally World. I read the the Wal-Mart Effect and saw the documentaries. But then they started offering those huge prescription discounts on drugs at the Sam's clubs. These have been a life saver for My Mom, a senior citizen with questionable health and diabeties, has benefited greatly from these. It was hard for me to hate them for it after that. I understand what they did to Rubber-maid, but it was Rubber-Maid's management that committed to that deal which eventually killed them. You can contrast that with Toro lawn mowers who said we don't want to cut costs to that extent just so we can sell into your customer base, you start to realize that Wal-Mart just provides the market, its the decisions of the guys that chose to play in that market that lead to most (not all) the busines disasters Wal-Mart gets blamed for.

I do not ever agree, though, with their recommendations to outsource jobs to China for their vendors. That's where their corporate culture crosses the line.
I have several friends who stay away from WalMart also.
The pushy, sloppy, and rude crowds are the major detractors. Have fallen in love with HEB and their special deals. Plus Heb brand goods are very good quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio