Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I see your point. The challenge for both companies would be finding a place to locate a project with those components in SA. It's hard to think of many areas of town that don't have an HEB store within a mile or two.
Soon to be my neighborhood

Nearest HEB is about 3 miles away, and I just heard they're closing it, but missed the meeting to find out the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Because the Rim is so up-scale already that riff-raff would never fathom going there?
If one were living in that area that one would probably subscribe to that way of thinking.....

Old 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
I would think that between Castle Hills, Shavano Park, and Stone Oak, there is definitely a market for another HEB Marketplace here. The best location would be where they are building that new HEB and shopping complex by Military and Wurzbach.

I went to college with a guy who was a sea food purchaser for HEB. He once told me that the reason we don't have a good seafood place in SA is because we are not an airline hub, so its harder to get really fresh seafood here. I am thinking that the reason there is not another HEB Market Place here is because of the same reason, they simply cannot get fresh stuff here fast enough due to the lack of direct routes. While not a hub, Austin has far more direct flights to major trade and processing centers than we do.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,912 times
I agree with the poster who suggested that they are building it in Austin because they see a market for it in that city. San Antonio is a poor city, and there are only so many "upscale" stores that will be profitable here. As far as the Rim goes, yes, it's so upscale with its TARGET store and everything. I'm sure an H.E.B. would send it down the tubes...

Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,270 times
You can't compare Austin and SA. Austin is much more dense in its urban core, plus there is a much higher residential population. There is no reason to build a 2 story HEB in SA. Plus, why does it matter? Since when does a 2 story grocery store mean that your city has arrived?

Stop trying to be like other cities, SA has it's own character. Lastly, I've heard that HEB is abandoning the Central Market concept in favor of the HEB Plus concept. Evidently it's a better growth model.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM

163 posts, read 546,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
Lastly, I've heard that HEB is abandoning the Central Market concept in favor of the HEB Plus concept. Evidently it's a better growth model.
I seriously doubt that. They're barely making money with the Zarzamora HEB Plus because most of the sales are WIC-based. No one in that demographic is buying a TV or a leather armchair. Central Market has done well in Alamo Heights and Houston.

Each concept has their place.

Last edited by thebigmammoo; 05-19-2008 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
Uh..Uh..I don't mean to be simplistic, but maybe HEB doesn't build 2 story stores in SA because the land is much cheaper than in Austin? It's analogous to 2 story homes. If you look at neighborhoods around 200k in SA, the 3000 sf homes are 2 story instead of 1 story in order to use the lot more efficiently. I know, I know, some people prefer 2 stories, but realistically, most would prefer a 1 story over a 2. (please don't ask me for a reference. ) My Oma has enough trouble with the big 1 story HEBs. She would be even more lost in a 2 story!

acckkkkk.... I can hardly drag myself to get the grocery shopping done as it is.... CLIMB STAIRS or take an escalator to do part of it???

not on your life.......

Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM

251 posts, read 710,318 times
Quote:
Austin is much more dense in its urban core,
When did that happen?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
SA companies need to step up to the plate. If the roles were reverse, I do not see many hq in Houston, Dallas or Austin building here in SA. I am so tired of SA being the laughing stock of Texas big cities.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
San Antonio has many HEB that carry ALOt of central market branded items. On De Zavala they have a huge wine selection with 200+ dollar whines. Doesn't the HEB+ on Potranco have two stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio