Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM

175 posts, read 303,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Wow, Austin is stronger than San Antonio's Biomedical industry? A bunch of baseless mumble. San Antonio's Biomedical-medical, is in the multi-billions, nearly $20 billion on the local economy. Austins cant even come close. The Austin economy is not diversified like San Antonio's. San Antonio's Financial sector is the largest in Texas, well over 20 billion. Then you have Aerospace, Manufacturing and National defense, Convention and Tourisim that are in the mutli billions impact wise. Can Austin say it's stronger in those major sectors? No Way! Austin has the Tech and Music industry, San Antonio has it's strenghts.
I never stated that Austin has a stronger bio-medical industry than San Antonio, I stated emerging.

San Antonio's financial "sector" is by far not the largest in Texas. Please provide sources to back up your claims. Dallas is home to a regional office of the Federal Reserve and is home to Comerica bank.

Moreover, Houston is the defacto capital in Texas in regards to bio-medical research and aeronautics, as well as renewable energy sources, and oil and natural gas.

Lastly, I stated that Austin is at an advantage over San Antonio because it's home to a Tier-I research instution that provides the city with an endless source of top talent who by and large stay in Austin, making the city very attractive to outside business.

San Antonio's economic focus is military, government, tourism, and healthcare.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Translation = Higher cost of living.
The hope would be that the infusion of various corporate businesses, and the money they bring, would naturally increase the cost (and quality) of living.

Yes, cost of living would be higher, but so would the median income and salaries of many who live in the city.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Terry -

Your problem is that you think our downtown is "Plain Jane". But you really can't know much about our central city if you think that's true. SA's downtown arguably has the highest concentration of architecturally significant historic buildings of any of the major cities in TX. We also have one of the most admired public parks anywhere in the country (the Riverwalk). And unlike Dallas and Houston, we actually have a downtown that's alive at night.

You think skyscrapers are "sexy" and "progressive". But you still haven't articulated how they contribute to more liveable neighborhoods (which is what makes cities REALLY sexy and progressive).

By the way, your handle includes (presumably) the zip code 78259 - is that the part of town you live in?
I still stand by my statements that the Riverwalk, a tourist destination, does not give an accurate picture of downtown San Antonio's true vibrancy. The activity one sees in downtown San Antonio is confined to the Riverwalk, and a large number of these people are not residents at all.

Contrast this with Seattle, Boston, Miami, and even Austin, in which downtown activity is largely generated by locals, and you can see how the comparisons don't match. In terms of residences and business, what you claim brings liveliness to an area, is severely lacking in San Antonio.

And furthermore, in order for a city to cultivate and maintain these "liveable" neighborhoods, there needs to be an active downtown, that's not tourist-driven, but rather driven by people actually living there. While tourists bring money to an area, they do not contribute to or sustain urban neighborhoods long term.

In any case, I think Austin, Dallas, and Houston all have been more successful in bringing people closer to the city center, with more and diversified residential options.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Yes, cost of living would be higher, but so would the median income and salaries of many who live in the city.
So COL goes up and income goes up? What's the difference than?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
So COL goes up and income goes up? What's the difference than?
The hope would be that the increase in cost of living would be offset by the increase in income. The median income would increase faster than the cost of living.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 AM

In response to Paul's claim that SA has the largest financial sector in Texas (don't know if this is true or not) I found this from 2005.

www.financesanantonio.com/downloads/Oct5.pdf (http://www.financesanantonio.com/downloads/Oct5.pdf - broken link)

It stats that SA has more people employed in the financial sector than any other city in Texas.

In that pdf doc, it stats the 2004 financial employment number was 50,000. As of 2008, that employment number is 65,000.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 06-14-2009 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Just stick to the facts/opinions and resist the temptation to draw conclusions about other members.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
The hope would be that the increase in cost of living would be offset by the increase in income. The median income would increase faster than the cost of living.
Do you not understand that currently adjusted for COL, SA is a middle of the pack metro when it comes value of the dollar.

Just comparing COL is deceiving as is just comparing median income or per capita.

When you adjust median income or per capita income with COL that gives a fuller more broad picture.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 AM

Question L3, have you personally gone downtown at night and surveyed people of their residence? Yo make a claim that all downtown nightlife whether street level or river level is populated largely by tourists is fallacious.

First off, there are more clubs, lounges, dives, pubs, etc on the street level than there are on the River Walk. The Riverwalk is a day time hot spot because of the hotels and restaurants adjoining it. Night time is street level and again to state that a majority of the people downtown at night enjoying the night life is an erroneous and inaccurate statement.

I'd ask you to back up your claims but I wouldn't hold my breath.

P.S.

What's not inviting about the downtown night life? What exactly is uninviting to a local? Please explain this without going into a different direction or trying to compare SA to another city for the tenth billion time. Also, why is a city like New Orleans touted for its nightlife when it's main attraction (French Qtr) is a tourist trap mecca? I don't get it?

Last edited by lemonfresh; 06-14-2009 at 05:20 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
In response to Paul's claim that SA has the largest financial sector in Texas (don't know if this is true or not) I found this from 2005.

www.financesanantonio.com/downloads/Oct5.pdf (http://www.financesanantonio.com/downloads/Oct5.pdf - broken link)

It stats that SA has more people employed in the financial sector than any other city in Texas.

In that pdf doc, it stats the 2004 financial employment number was 50,000. As of 2008, that employment number is 65,000.
Sorry Lemon but that's just not true.

Here is the number of people employed in the financial sector by metro:

Dallas/Fort Worth - 230,000
Houston - 142,000
San Antonio - 66,000
Austin - 46,000

I've linked each city to their 2009 stat sheets from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 AM

Hence the use of the word "city" by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio