Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,974,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Seems like some should move to NYC.
No, we'd rather stay in San Antonio and help keep the culture alive.
Who comes to San Antonio to go touring strip malls and suburbia? No one.

Keeping downtown and such areas inhabited and adding to the skyline will enhance our city's soul.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:25 PM

18,051 posts, read 25,118,426 times
I'll put it in few words,
If San Antonio starts having skyscrapers like the ones found in most big cities, then San Antonio won't be San Antonio anymore.

People don't visit or like San Antonio because of "It's modern and futuristic skyscrapers and malls"
And if San Antonio starts doing that.... SA will be just another american city that you find in any state in the US.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,918,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
I personally don't like our Downtown skyline that much.
Why can't we have one metallic skyscraper?
Why must they all be rustic?
Quote:
Since originally creating this thread, i've had a change of heart about our downtown skyline. I've grown to like it much more and the view from 281 going south is really beautiful.

Didn't anyone see this? He (the OP) didn't like the skyline and now he's grown to love it. He's not settling for what's here, he is finding beauty where he is. He's blooming where he's planted. How refreshing.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:41 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,671,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Who comes to San Antonio to go touring strip malls and suburbia? No one.

Tell that to the "shoppertainment" industry at La Cantera.

Filled with people who want to shop at Abercrombie and eat lunch at Red Robin.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,979,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Tell that to the "shoppertainment" industry at La Cantera.

Filled with people who want to shop at Abercrombie and eat lunch at Red Robin.
I do not like Red Robin I much more prefer Chilis.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,473,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
Is this Broadview over in Inspiration Hills? There are several streets on the top of the hill there that have the downtown views.
you know, i don't know if the neighborhood is called inspiration hills or not --- but i know her house is on top of a hill --- i think it is where broadview, quill and ingram rd intersect...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,473,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I lived on Broadview for a while...it is an extremely hilly area, which awesome views of downtown. It's an interesting area with grand old homes.
i agree --- it is a really interesting area once you get on in there and look at some of the homes --- my brothers girlfriend lives in a big 2 story pink home on a corner --- from the street you would never guess it looks the way it does on the inside --- 24ft vaulted ceilings, solid wood floors/stairs, dual staircase, interior balconies that look over into the living room and open from the 2 bedrooms upstairs, 2 story fireplace --- it is so very beautiful --- built in 1928 --- original doorknobs, kitchen cabinets, light fixtures, ect...

just across street from her is a HUGE home on almost 3 acres --- it sold in the last couple of years for right around 500k ---

there really are some true gems in there buried deep inside loop 410...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,004,466 times
I wouldn't consider myself one of those who doesn't like seeing a new "larger" building going up here and there, but I do agree with other locals when it comes to too much. San Antonio's skyline is not "extravagant", and breath taking really to me, but it is not pansy by any means. I'll be honest one of my favorite places in the US is Washington DC, and not a skyscraper for miles. It's the Tower of Americas, and Washington Monument effects. I love the Houston skyline when driving through, and the Chicago skyline, etc....but even more so I love the historical buildings preserved in San Antonio. Although super tall nothing to me is interesting about the JP Morgan Chase building in Houston. On the otherhand I'd take the Tower of Life I believe it's called in downtown here over it anyday. I think 10 years from now people are going to be supprised at all of the midrise residential structures that will be filling in the gaps in San Antonio, but I don't think your gonna see too many 75 floor corporate headquarters, or 50 floor business plazas, they just aren't making too many anymore, it's not the "now".

Another thing about the views of downtown. I haven't been to the Broadview area, and im sure it's much closer, but one place I used to LOVE going at night and sittiing on the cliff to look out at all the city lights was Kyle Seale Parkway. Now granted this was before all of the traffic, and residential building over there, but the cliff up toward Cedar Creek that you could park and walk up to was so beautiful. Don't go there with your kids at night, and make sure you scan the area for crazys, but if it's clear take a look for yourself. This is one sight that made me fall in love with San Antonio, and the beauty of the Hill Country and being able to see for miles. I come from East Texas where you can't see 50 ft. because of 10 floor high pines, so appreciate it!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,524,928 times
Quote:
Since originally creating this thread, i've had a change of heart about our downtown skyline. I've grown to like it much more and the view from 281 going south is really beautiful.

Awwwwww.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,974,606 times
Although supertall buildings would be a plus, I'm more interested in seeing downtown becoming more populated. Midrise residential buildings like the new Vidorra and Vistana are what I love to see being developed in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio