Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM

80 posts, read 227,735 times

Advertisements

My family is going to be moving to San Antonio in June and we've found a house in the Heritage neighborhood. It's on a cul de sac (sp?) and is VERY close to Potranco. Any thoughts on that neighborhood? I wanted my kids to go to NSID schools, and it seems that they will if we live in this neighborhood. My husband will be recruiting across from the Ingram Park Mall and we need to be able to get to Lackland, so it seems like a convenient location, I just worry if it's a good area for my family. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
it's freaking huge, although you would never know it without looking at it from the air (check out Google maps for that). It also has a great little pond with ducks and tons of trees. I have driven through it several times and know a couple people that live there and have never heard anything negative from them. I'm sure it's not perfect, but you could definitely find something worse in the same area..

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
It looks like the middle school for most/all of Heritage is Pease, which from what I've heard does not have the best reputation. You should check the address on the Boundaries and Buses section of the district website to confirm what the schools for the particular house you're looking at would be. Your Realtor should be able to help you access that info, but here's the website; Boundaries and Buses - Northside Independent School District It looks like only a certain section of Heritage will be going to the new middle school (Vale) and you would have had to have moved in to the house by Nov. '07 to have that option.

The Duck Pond is really neat, and a lot of Heritage is nice. I will say, however, my son (high school) knows a couple of kids who live in the far S/E corner of Heritage, and they all say they won't go out at night. It seems to be the rough edge of the neighborhood. So closer to Potranco is probably better.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM

152 posts, read 517,746 times
We moved into Heritage back in 1976, when it was known as Heritage Farm and there was a pond up at the front by the swimming pool! We used to walk through houses as they were being built! Back in the 80s it was said that Heritage was the biggest subdivision in San Antonio.
My mom still lives in Heritage, very close to the bus barn, so I am over there frequently. There are some areas in the neighborhood that we avoid (duplex area has a bad rep, as does the area up near Kinderhook). As far as schools, doesn't Heritage split between three elementary schools (Cody, Hatchett, Murnin)?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:49 AM

422 posts, read 1,450,669 times
I've got mixed feelings about Heritage. IMO, it's really tanked. The graffiti there has gotten really bad. The HOA is voluntary and is pretty much non existent. Most houses are kept up, but then due to the lack of HOA there are a bunch that you scratch your head on. I have friends that live there and feel the same way. Some rental properties there now accept Section 8.

Now, 10 years ago I did rent a house there for 2 years. I personally didn't have any issues back then. All though they did break into my neighbors home one time.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,110 times
We live in a neighborhood beside Heritage (Stonecreek) and have been having lots of trouble with kids from Heritage coming over into our neighborhood, using our basketball court (and not letting the kids from our area use it) and sneaking into our pool during the day and at night (we've even had kids ride their BMX bikes into the pool at night!)

So....unfortunately....the experiences we've had with Heritage have been largely negative.....

Old 05-20-2008, 11:52 AM

41 posts, read 148,096 times
I'd have to agree with the negative regarding Heritage also. We had friends that lived there for years, they finally sold and move because of all the problems with break ins, drug sales, etc. I wouldn't recommend living there. Just my opionion.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
We lived in Heritage from 1990-2001. There are still a lot of good people that live there; however, there are also bad people there that cause the problems noted in this thread. You might try the housing area across Potranco (Sierra Springs) as that is newer and they have a mandatory HOA.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Too bad the good ones have to give up and give in to the few that ruin things. That's the way it's gotten all over, in almost every situation. That used to be a really nice place to live. Sad.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM

77 posts, read 263,548 times
mY COUSINS AND HIS FRIENDS IN THE 90'S TERRORIZED alot of that era, its a lilttle calmer now. There is bad everywhere, it kinda is a suburban style getto. Ya know its suburban but has alot of fools runnin round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio