Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 09:58 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,041,894 times

Advertisements

From google there appears to be exactly half a dozen of them still open.

I do not like wal mart. It is good they are giving HEB some competition but it would be nice if smaller companies were able to do the same. I am a big lowes fan personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 08:57 AM

6,524 posts, read 7,598,942 times
And my guess is that these few Walmart Neighborhood Markets are in areas where lots of transplants live.

Lowes is ok, I typically see them in small Texas towns and never in the bigger cities.

In July I was down in Queretaro, Mexico for a few days. I noticed they have a brand new HEB down there which is probably the farthest South I've ever seen an HEB. HEB's conquest of Mexico seems to not be slowing down anytime soon.

Maybe Kroger's move into the grocery home delivery market in SA will expose HEB's one weakness.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:22 PM

4,367 posts, read 7,284,000 times
And two years later, Kroger again is pulling out of San Antonio.
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2024...cess.%E2%80%9D

Old 03-28-2024, 10:23 PM

1,042 posts, read 886,937 times
Bummer.

So very tired of HEB being the overly-dominant force here.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:11 AM

62,095 posts, read 87,829,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Bummer.

So very tired of HEB being the overly-dominant force here.
Yes. If HEB is so great then why they fear competition?

Old 03-29-2024, 05:47 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,879,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Don't think "fear" is the right term. They learned their lesson when all the outside grocers came in to "take over" the market and "relegate the little mom and pop to their place." HEB had two choices - aggressively compete or be defeated. They invested a LOT, risked it all - and won. Nothing but respect for them, even though I don't shop there because I find the stores to be TOO big, lol. I just find it amusing that so many folks are upset by success of our local businesses.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:46 PM

62,095 posts, read 87,829,074 times
I am not upset by their success, but it's well known that they are a bully and don't allow other stores to coexist with them like in other Texas cities. They have history of litigations and “predatory pricing” that put competitors out of business.
They also use deed restrictions to keep competitors out — for decades.
https://archive.ph/EunsR

And here you can read about how H-E-B became one of San Antonio's only major grocers
https://archive.ph/ye7dg

Old 03-29-2024, 01:53 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,879,941 times
Quote:
I am not upset by their success, but it's well known that they are a bully and don't allow other stores to coexist with them like in other Texas cities.
How is being competitive wrong? The national chains that came into the market publicly stated that they intended to take market share from HEB. HEB said "Hold my beer", put on the gloves, and went at it with them toe to toe....and beat them at their own game. They're a regional grocer that took on national chains....and won. They've continually reinvested in their operations, and heavily support their local community, far beyond what others do.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:37 PM

10,033 posts, read 6,733,783 times
Quote:
HEB locations in San Antonio aren’t as nice as the Houston locations and so far the DFW locations. Competition is great for the consumer

Old 03-29-2024, 03:10 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,812,928 times
Quote:
I am not upset by their success, but it's well known that they are a bully and don't allow other stores to coexist with them like in other Texas cities. They have history of litigations and “predatory pricing” that put competitors out of business.
They also use deed restrictions to keep competitors out — for decades.
https://archive.ph/EunsR

And here you can read about how H-E-B became one of San Antonio's only major grocers
https://archive.ph/ye7dg

I know of at least three or four people that lived here and moved away that I still talk to and HEB comes up sometimes. Every one of them tell me how much they miss HEB. HEB is doing something right for success but I agree that they are not friendly to competition at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio