Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 08:48 PM

245 posts, read 236,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Austin has Austin FC. Doubtful that an MLS team would be an option for SA.
And. SA and Austin are both big enough to support MLS teams, and virtually every other sport for that matter. Look at some of the other markets that have multiple teams in pro sports. Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Kansas City, etc. for example. All Austin and SA sized markets (or smaller, actually).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 09:20 AM

9,858 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
You can count on me voting No for something used primarily for NFL events. The owners are rich, the players are rich...some of that can be shifted towards their new and shiny playgrounds.
If done correctly, it can be used for much more than just NFL similar to how Houston uses NRG Stadium for the rodeo.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:08 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If done correctly, it can be used for much more than just NFL similar to how Houston uses NRG Stadium for the rodeo.
That's exactly what was done with the Alamodome. The NFL was to have been the major tenant/revenue producer, and the facility would be used (and has been used) for other events during the off-season. Examples would be conventions, trade shows, concerts, other sporting events etc.

The Spurs even played there for a couple of seasons or so after it was fist built, after the NFL expansion passed the city by. But ultimately, the Spurs determined (in the middle of the demolition phase of the old Hemisfair Arena) that the Alamodome was not optimal for basketball, and they would need a new venue, in order to remain a viable franchise in San Antonio. So, that got us the AT&T Center.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:31 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That's exactly what was done with the Alamodome. The NFL was to have been the major tenant/revenue producer, and the facility would be used (and has been used) for other events during the off-season. Examples would be conventions, trade shows, concerts, other sporting events etc.

The Spurs even played there for a couple of seasons or so after it was fist built, after the NFL expansion passed the city by. But ultimately, the Spurs determined (in the middle of the demolition phase of the old Hemisfair Arena) that the Alamodome was not optimal for basketball, and they would need a new venue, in order to remain a viable franchise in San Antonio. So, that got us the AT&T Center.
When was the last time a (Big) musical act even had a concert in the Alamodome...or even the AT&T Center at that? Seems as though they all go through Austin and bypass poor SA.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:59 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
When was the last time a (Big) musical act even had a concert in the Alamodome...or even the AT&T Center at that? Seems as though they all go through Austin and bypass poor SA.
I'm not much into concerts anymore (and wasn't much of a concert goer when I was younger), but San Antonio has always had a dearth of big-name, mainstream performers. I had travelled to Austin years ago to attend concerts by artists who were not stopping in San Antonio on their tour.

I believe I saw Motley Crue, Def Leppard Joan Jett, and Elton John scheduled for performances in the Alamodome later this year.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:07 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I'm not much into concerts anymore (and wasn't much of a concert goer when I was younger), but San Antonio has always had a dearth of big-name, mainstream performers. I had travelled to Austin years ago to attend concerts by artists who were not stopping in San Antonio on their tour.

I believe I saw Motley Crue, Def Leppard Joan Jett, and Elton John scheduled for performances in the Alamodome later this year.
Really? huh...I guess I just never hear about any concerts advertised. I don't listen to any local radio stations.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:21 PM

Bad Bunny is going to the Alamodome for his stadium tours in September. San Antonio doesn’t get as much concerts as Houston, but they probably get more of the major tours than Austin

Old 03-19-2022, 02:05 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Harry Styles had a big show at the Alamodome late last year. Elton John has a stop in October. This doesn’t look like a full list of past concerts, but has some notable ones: https://www.concertarchives.org/venues/alamodome

Austin gets a mix of big and medium shows. (Plus SXSW and all the hype that comes with its title of “live music capital”). They are opening a new venue (well really arena for UT) in a few weeks and George Strait will be opening. I know he’s a big deal, but I wouldn’t put him in the same ball park as One Direction or Elton John, both of who have/or will play thr Alamodome. Austin also has the circuit of the America’s as an outdoor venue. Verizon was pretty similar until it closed. Cota gets pretty similar sized shows. They’ll have big shows for F1, but the one year I went it was just a stage in the back of turn and everyone smushed in to see Britney Spears, it wasn’t even the lawn.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:46 PM

Austin is a festival, indie, and medium sized concert city. San Antonio traditionally gets bigger tours. Who knows though they could eventually change the way Austin is going. In my opinion, the live music capital thing isn’t granted. I would personally say Southern California is the most complete live music area.

Back to the topic, though, I think the XFL would be perfect for the Alamodome. With no NFL team in San Antonio nor Austin, the XFL could fill a gap for football fans of the area. Even though San Antonio is loaded with Cowboys fans and some Texans fans (for those who would rather not take the cowboys), this doesn’t equate to having a team to support for local San Antonians. Austin of course has UT to fill that hole. The XFL would do wonders in San Antonio imo.

Old 03-19-2022, 03:29 PM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I think it’s also important that we recall that the city has tried pro or semi pro sports several times and it’s failed. What’s different about this time?

https://sanantonio.culturemap.com/ne...otball-soccer/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio