U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:39 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,504,050 times

Advertisements

For the first time since moving back here three years ago, I actually rode one of my motorcycles to work today! It was fun (albeit hot), and I was wondering if there are any other motorcyclists on here?

San Antonio can be a great place for a motorcycle, and it can be the worst. Many drivers here don't respect a motorcycle's right to be on the road, but considering we have a large number of people who cannot drive in the first place, I shouldn't be surprised that it is any better on a bike. But the Hill Country has a lot of great roads, and there are ways to avoid traffic if you don't mind a few detours.

Cheers! M2
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,195,838 times
I got rid of my bike right before we moved here. 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC. I was just tired of it.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM

19 posts, read 65,772 times
83 low rider

Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 PM

2,976 posts, read 9,240,463 times
62 year old friend of mine bought a Harley Electra Glide 3 weeks ago Tuesday, had it one week, crashed, and crushed his skull. 2 breaths later he passed.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM

933 posts, read 1,888,817 times
I was in shock after seeing all the people riding around with no helmets!!! Especially after coming from Cali where helmets are an absolute requirement. All that said, its the post above, and similar stories, as to why the missus will not let me buy a bike anytime soon.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM

11,544 posts, read 13,010,927 times
GSXR-750 here. Haven't had the chance to ride it in SA yet.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,504,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamatdan View Post
I was in shock after seeing all the people riding around with no helmets!!! Especially after coming from Cali where helmets are an absolute requirement. All that said, its the post above, and similar stories, as to why the missus will not let me buy a bike anytime soon.
California only enacted a helmet law in 1992. Texas went to a Social Burden law in 1997 (into law by then-Gov. George W. Bush), which meant motorcyclists 21 and over could ride without helmets only if they completed a rider-education course or provided proof that they have a minimum of $10,000 in personal medical coverage. Technically, compliance is suppose to be determined by special license-plate stickers the state would issue to motorcyclists who meet those provisions. Out-of-state riders traveling through Texas would be ineligible to receive stickers and would be required to wear helmets. However, I don't think that is being enforced.

Personally, I think Texas needs to revise their helmet law to again make it mandatory that all riders wear one. And don't blame the motorcycle for the death in sinsativ's post, as it would be the same as Rosie O'Donnell blaming her fork for making her fat! If the individual didn't have the experience, training or equipment to safely operate the motorcycle, he should not have been riding. Many people are killed in cars here for the exact same reasons...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM

933 posts, read 1,888,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And don't blame the motorcycle for the death in sinsativ's post, as it would be the same as Rosie O'Donnell blaming her fork for making her fat! If the individual didn't have the experience, training or equipment to safely operate the motorcycle, he should not have been riding. Many people are killed in cars here for the exact same reasons...

Cheers! M2
Agreed...its not the bike...its all the other factors that go into operating pretty much anything on the open road...Or even walking...

Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 PM

266 posts, read 664,855 times
yep im a rider too. I always wear a helmet, but i don’t think they need to make them required. I have noticed a lot more riders on the road; most of them have little experience. i fear there will be a major increase of motorcycle deaths this year.

if you hear of someone wanting to get a bike to save on gas, insist they take the safety course before they go riding. Then re-take a class every few years.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 AM

791 posts, read 3,764,638 times
92 Sportster Hugger.
Grew up on the back of my dad's bike and still took the class, always wear a helmet, and think anyone that doesn't is crazy. The pistons on my dad's bike locked up once when he was doing 60 - the only things that saved his life were his helmet and full leathers. My uncle hit a broken piece of wood in the road on 281 near Hildebrand, it flew up into the tire, locked up and he went flying - in the hospital for a week, and he was lucky!

My uncle always says - don't get on a bike if you're not prepared to die. That's not an admonishment not to ride, merely a statement of fact and a warning to always ride prepared and aware. Man, there's nothing like a ride in the Hill Country on a warm spring day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio