Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 02:32 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,007 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a senior citizen and a veteran and I'm asking no I'm begging for some help with 3 dogs in my care. I'm a former resident of Jasper mobile home park. Google it for a more complete story. I was forced to move with 30 days notice in the middle of the pandemic. I was able to find a new home but I had 3 dogs from a litter that was born in my front yard. 3 left from an original litter of 7. I was able to get the mom into rescue and homes or shelters for 4 but I still had these 3 that were left. The lady that was handling the evictions for the park told me to just leave the dogs in the park that the maintenance men handling the demo of the trailers would take care of and feed them til the pound came to pick them up. I confirmed this with the guy in charge. He literally laughed in my face and told me that the management didn't pay them enough to feed their own animals much less the strays left behind. A few days later I was told by another resident that the strays were being put in trailers that were being crushed. I felt I had no choice but to bring them with me. At the time I had no lease so there were no lease terms..so I said nothing assuming I would be able to find homes or a rescue to take these dogs. Please know I had been trying to rehome these dogs since they were 8 weeks old. That's the short story.
The dogs are now 21/2 years old, no shots, not fixed and not puppies anymore. They are devoted to me but not very well socialized to anyone but me. I can't have anyone in my house, and no, they haven't bitten anyone. But that's my fear. Not because they're vicious, but they're protecting me and my home.
I am overwhelmed and frustrated. I can't afford to feed these dogs. They are full grown, unneutered males and while it hasn't been a problem I'm sure dominance will come into play soon enough. I can't walk all three and if I take 1 out the other 2 bark so bad that it upsets my neighbor. I live in a duplex. Their barking at night upsets her as she goes to bed early. She has been so nice and understanding of this situation. i feel isolated and anxious all the time, not being able to have family over, or worse, getting an eviction notice from my landlady. She found out about the dogs a month ago because she was at my neighbors and, you guessed it, they started barking. I also work full time and my hours fluctuate from very early in the morning to late at night.
Since I moved I have approached over 50 rescues and individuals for help. I'm told the rescues are full, and the individuals say they will ask around and get back to me. They never do, when I call them they don't answer. I've tried the local veterans peer support group and he too promised to get back to but never did.
I don't live in the city limits so surrendering them to ACS is out and most public groups ie The Humane Society, Animal Defense League etc. require you live in the city limits. I can't afford surrender fees anyway.
I do however have a ton of equipment, gates, play yards, towels and 2 X-Large kennels they stay in.
They are good dogs just not very well socialized. They know sit, come, down, let me handle their mouth, get close to their face. Trained to potty pads and outdoors and the kennel. They spend ALOT of time kenneled. All I have to do is tell them to go to bed and they know where to go. However, they have a fairly high prey drive so cats are out and because of this, one is a fence jumper. Because of their lack of training and socialization I prefer that they go to a rescue but someone with experience with large dogs is acceptable. They are Boxer/Pitts. One looks like a Pitt, one looks like a Boxer and the third looks like, well neither one. They weigh maybe 40 to 50 pounds.You'd never know they were brothers. Although my family thinks I should take them out to the country or another neighborhood and let them go I would never consider that as an option. I have posted on numerous facebook groups and find I'm not the only one in this position. I even tried to have them euthanized but no vet I spoke to would put a young healthy dog down.
I am reaching out here because of the diversity of this group and the level of intelligence and compassion I see here every day. I am open to suggestions but please no haters. If you can't be nice or helpful don't respond. I'm asking for help not sympathy or money. Please, someone, Help. I can't do this much longer. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 03:55 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
About the only suggestion I can think of would be Craigslist. Many times folks living in the country are looking for vocal, territorial adult dogs.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:02 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/resources/pass

Old 04-07-2022, 09:40 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,007 times
Throughout this ordeal I've often wished I lived in Austin. They have such an amazing program. I follow them on Facebook and am so impressed with the work they do. I wish S.A. was as responsive.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:14 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I am so sorry about your situation. Free dogs on Craigslist have had horrible things happen to them. Charge a rehoming fee if you try that.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:38 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Throughout this ordeal I've often wished I lived in Austin. They have such an amazing program. I follow them on Facebook and am so impressed with the work they do. I wish S.A. was as responsive.
Please reach out. They still could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: