Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 09:25 AM

518 posts, read 627,214 times

Advertisements

I am currently researching areas where I might want to retire and San Antonio is on the top of the list. I don't drive, however, so am wondering if I could suvive in SA without a car. I would need an apartment within walking distance of supermarkets, pharmacies, libraries, vets and banks. What neighborhoods in SA are the most walkable? Any replies would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 01:54 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
I suppose if you lived downtown it is possible but it would be hard to live here without a car. Maybe Austin would be better.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:58 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
This has come up a few times; the topic of retiring in SA. You may want to search the forum. Doubtful Austin would be a good fit. It could be done if the price was right, but it would be a major major major stretch. Mueller comes to mind immediately. The only thing I can think of that wouldn’t be in walking distance may a library.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:28 PM

92 posts, read 112,667 times
The 78209 area around Broadway/North New Braunfels/Austin Hwy is the first place I would look, and take a bus to the Tobin/Oakwell library on Harry Wurzbach or the libraries near the zoo. There are a number of businesses of all types along these three corridors. Just don't go any further east along Austin Hwy than the 09 area.

This area is older, but many of the older apartments are charming. Some "garage" apartments that are quite nice as well. There are also newer apartments as well. You might start your research in the area close to the H.E.B. Central Market on Broadway.

One nice thing about near Broadway is that if you are willing to take a bus, you can get to many major attractions by going south, eventually ending up in the downtown River Walk area. The Zoo, Brackenridge Park, Witte Museum are all just a short hop down Broadway. Also, The Mcnay Art Museum is just a short drive up N. New Braunfels.

Also extremely close to Ft. Sam Houston, if you happen to be able to use a military base....

Old 06-02-2022, 07:33 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
The 78209 area around Broadway/North New Braunfels/Austin Hwy is the first place I would look, and take a bus to the Tobin/Oakwell library on Harry Wurzbach or the libraries near the zoo. There are a number of businesses of all types along these three corridors. Just don't go any further east along Austin Hwy than the 09 area.

This area is older, but many of the older apartments are charming. Some "garage" apartments that are quite nice as well. There are also newer apartments as well. You might start your research in the area close to the H.E.B. Central Market on Broadway.

One nice thing about near Broadway is that if you are willing to take a bus, you can get to many major attractions by going south, eventually ending up in the downtown River Walk area. The Zoo, Brackenridge Park, Witte Museum are all just a short hop down Broadway. Also, The Mcnay Art Museum is just a short drive up N. New Braunfels.

Also extremely close to Ft. Sam Houston, if you happen to be able to use a military base....
Agree that area might fulfill the OP's needs, but the question would be how much it their monthly housing budget? Much of that area in AHISD, and rent can be pretty steep for a nicer place.

Yes, there are a few garage apartments/guest houses/servant's quarters behind some of those stately older homes, but from what I see on Nextdoor, demand for those places far outstrips supply, so that could be tough to find one available at any given time.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:09 AM

92 posts, read 112,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Agree that area might fulfill the OP's needs, but the question would be how much it their monthly housing budget? Much of that area in AHISD, and rent can be pretty steep for a nicer place.

Yes, there are a few garage apartments/guest houses/servant's quarters behind some of those stately older homes, but from what I see on Nextdoor, demand for those places far outstrips supply, so that could be tough to find one available at any given time.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Budget wasn't addressed because the OP didn't state one. He/she wanted a location, and I gave him/her one. And besides - no matter what suggestion is ever made here, one can always come along and state that it might cost too much. So what's your point? The OP can determine how steep a rent is too steep.

Availability wasn't addressed because the OP didn't state a timeline of need. Demand outstrips supply in just about any decent area in the entire country right now. Does that mean the OP shouldn't at least try to find something? Places do become available. How do you think the people currently living in them got to live there?

Jeez........

Old 06-02-2022, 09:31 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
It is safe to assume that someone who retires is on fixed income and has a budget but I will let the OP confirm if that is the case or not since budget wasn't mentioned in the first post of course.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Yes, there are a few garage apartments/guest houses/servant's quarters behind some of those stately older homes, ....
These type of apartments / are quite ideal for many retirees. They are more plentiful that you would think, but are seldom advertised (Word of mouth with diligent referral / screening). so... you find an acceptable month-month rental in the area and you start DIGGING. Might take a yr or two to secure just the right spot, but quite worth it. I know of places that are <$500 / month with the thought the retiree tenant is also the person who's often home to fetch the ail, water the plants, tend to the pets while owner travels or is working.

Broadway, from Josephine to Eisenhauer seems to be a reasonable area to target and quite a variety of apartments, activities, services.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 1,420,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
These type of apartments / are quite ideal for many retirees. They are more plentiful that you would think, but are seldom advertised (Word of mouth with diligent referral / screening). so... you find an acceptable month-month rental in the area and you start DIGGING. Might take a yr or two to secure just the right spot, but quite worth it. I know of places that are <$500 / month with the thought the retiree tenant is also the person who's often home to fetch the ail, water the plants, tend to the pets while owner travels or is working.

Broadway, from Josephine to Eisenhauer seems to be a reasonable area to target and quite a variety of apartments, activities, services.
There is quite a bit of residential development going on at the southern end of your suggested target area near the Pearl. The Creamery (which looks like it will be completed soon) looks like it will have (based on its footprint) several hundred higher end apartments available for rent, and in a year or so The Josephine apartments will be finished (again, higher end apartments in a larger complex). I doubt these will be bargains rent wise, but the area where they are being developed is rapidly changing with “more stuff” (restaurants, businesses, etc) being added. If your pocketbook is deep enough, they may be worth a look.

https://sanantonio.culturemap.com/ne...os-pearl-area/

https://livejosephine.com/

Old 06-06-2022, 04:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Quote:

Apartments in Alamo Heights are not expensive. Especially if you live right outside of the school district. It is much cheaper than the "bumping" areas around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio