Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 10:48 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,064,617 times

Advertisements

They are entering our neighborhood but not too happy with what they put in our yard. They dug a 3x2 foot hole and put a cement slab down. Anyone here have google fiber and have said slab of concrete in their yard? Is my yard not my property? I got no warning this was going to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Fiber question-20220601_141620.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 06:55 AM

4,298 posts, read 7,162,181 times
If that vault was placed in the Right-Of-Way or in an easement in your yard (which it probably was), there is nothing you can do about it. Your property survey should delineate where any easements are located.

AT&T placed a similar vault in our backyard easement several years ago when they built out their fiber service (similar to Google) in the subdivision. There's been a wooden Google Fiber construction sign held down with sandbags at the entrance to our subdivision for the last three years, but they haven't started construction here yet, so we only have AT&T Fiber and Spectrum available, at this point.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:01 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,362,061 times
I had AT&T Fiber for a while, and nobody built any cement slabs on the property. So don't know about that.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:43 AM

4,298 posts, read 7,162,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I had AT&T Fiber for a while, and nobody built any cement slabs on the property. So don't know about that.
AT&T runs their Fiber underground, in areas where utilities are underground. Where there are overhead lines, they generally hang them on existing poles.

Google is mostly underground, regardless of where other utilities are located. Not everybody gets a vault or pedestal in their easement, usually every other lot, or something like that.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:04 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
AT&T runs their Fiber underground, in areas where utilities are underground. Where there are overhead lines, they generally hang them on existing poles.

Google is mostly underground, regardless of where other utilities are located. Not everybody gets a vault or pedestal in their easement, usually every other lot, or something like that.
I don't know about ATT but for Google fiber...the "vault" is usually at the corner lots of each block or something like that from what I have seen in my neighborhood. It was installed and finally completed about two years ago where I live.

On another note, Google fiber is nothing to get excited about. I personally know of some people that switched back to ATT fiber after trying Google fiber. Nonetheless, it is still nice to have competition.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:22 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,172,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
They are entering our neighborhood but not too happy with what they put in our yard. They dug a 3x2 foot hole and put a cement slab down. Anyone here have google fiber and have said slab of concrete in their yard? Is my yard not my property? I got no warning this was going to happen.
I'm assuming that's in the easement, and there is nothing one can do about it. That's an underground vault cover, to access buried cable. It's not a slab for a pedestal.

It's really not so bad, that means the cables will be buried, and that's all you'll ever see. Much better than having a pedestal built in your easement. You can landscape around it if you want. Being flat on the ground puts it very low on the "eyesores built by the utilities" scale.

PS: While trenching companies typically notify you when they do work, it's not required.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 856,122 times
It's tech progress. And you likely don't have a leg to stand on from an easement POV.

Be happy you have more choice for internet. GF is great.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:47 PM

1,691 posts, read 4,092,199 times
I have Google Fiber and Phone and love it. When installed, they dug a shallow trench from the curb to a junction box on the the side of my house the day before it was hooked up. The next day they ran the thin fiber cable around the eaves and into the inside of the house. It's worked perfectly since it was installed.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:00 AM

4,680 posts, read 3,111,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
That could look a helluva lot worse than it does. Be happy it's at ground level and not something that's going to shift and end up crooked and/or sinking.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:35 PM

16 posts, read 22,697 times
I have never seen them put a concrete slab anywhere in our neighborhood when they ran fiber. Maybe there is something unique in some neighborhoods that requires it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio