Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 02:15 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
The number #1 enemy of progress is question.
We all know how unquestioned progress goes.

Last edited by Azure110; 03-08-2023 at 02:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 04:11 PM

1,032 posts, read 875,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I just don't get the mentality of trying to "keep up with the Jonses".

Why do we need a lot more things that Dallas, Houston and Austin have already attracted?

And that's the problem with the mindset of San Antonio. It's a chip-on-their-shoulder mentality that makes them think it's 'keeping up with the Joneses' when it's actually just moving forward as a city of this size needs to.

It's not about being Dallas, Houston or Austin. It's about being a better San Antonio.

This town has sat on its hands and watched multiple industries leave or bypass because we didn't take the advantages when they were offered.

The city is constantly in catch-up mode versus being ahead of the eight ball. It's time that changes.

Last edited by RadiantBaby; 03-08-2023 at 04:39 PM..

Old 03-09-2023, 08:11 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
It's about being a better San Antonio.
Copying the other cities development plans and whatnot does not make a better San Antonio in my opinion. However we all have our own ideas of what makes a better San Antonio and our opinions of that are the same.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:05 AM

3,260 posts, read 1,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Copying the other cities development plans and whatnot does not make a better San Antonio in my opinion. However we all have our own ideas of what makes a better San Antonio and our opinions of that are the same.
I don’t necessarily think “copying” is the right word. Seems to me the city should be looking around at what has and hasn’t worked in other cities and try and utilize those ideas that might make San Antonio better, more prosperous, (choose your favorite word). I’m relatively new to San Antonio so I certainly don’t know the local history and politics as well as many of you no doubt do, but it does seem to me that the entire city could benefit by trying to better attract larger, and higher paying employers than it has done in the past. This place doesn’t have to be Silicon Valley, but would be nice to see more and better job opportunities for the community.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:02 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I sure hope leaders, both business and city, start prioritizing revitalization downtown. For a metro area of 2.6 million, it's pretty desolate. Even the Riverwalk isn't as lively or attractive as it should be. I don't know the whole answer to it, but downtown seems pretty sleepy in the early evening hours. During the week, it is fairly quiet all day. I was shocked once I moved down here from Austin how dead downtown is compared to Austin's CBD.

I will say, I see a lot of construction and see a lot of urban developments popping up between The Pearl and downtown. I hope more people continue to make downtown SA home. I also hope it's not just for wealthy residents and appeals to all classes. I would hate to see San Antonio become another Austin, where you have to be wealthy to live, even if it is just downtown.
San Antonio's CBD is far more vibrant than Austin's during the week and during daytime hours with far more pedestrian and foot traffic in all parts of downtown. It is not only the Riverwalk area that's lively. Austin's cbd is lively on weekends mostly or when there is an event like sxsw nor does it have as many vibrant public spaces as S.A.

Austin has the equalivent to Southtown but nothing on par to the Riverwalk, Pearl or lively areas like Alamo or Main plazas. I havent seen any lively city center parks like Travis Park either. The riverfront is sorta vibrant and Zilker is not really in the cbd kinda like Brackenridge/Zoo area minus having a major zoo like SA which is third largest zoo in the country.

DT San Antonio is vibrant more of the time and moreso when there are festivals or sporting events, etc. Plus there is far more retail and the Shops at Rivercenter which is probably one of the busiest DT shopping centers in the country that still has department stores. According to Shops at Rivercenter website it attracts 15 million annual visitors and almost half are locals with tourists contributing slightly more to that figure.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 03-11-2023 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-12-2023, 08:27 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Not sure how much time you spend in downtown Austin SweetHomeSanAntonio but I’m down there every Tuesday morning between 6am and 7am and it’s lively with lots of morning coffee shops, State leg staff bouncing around, business folks, and people exercising (I do a group run every Tuesday morning from just outside the city center to the capital and back…it’s roughly 4.5 miles) Republic square park is equivalent, if not slightly bigger than Travis park and hosts an amazing farmer’s market. The Seaholm district is always busy with some great open spaces (while not “parks” it feels park like) and Fareground is right at the corner of cesar Chávez and Congress. It also has restaurants and pop ups. There are always people on the south Congress bridge (saw folks taking pictures this morning). I’ll also add that the Anne and Roy Butler hike and bike trail is a gem and literally is the city center. It attracts seasoned runners, cyclists, dog parents, rowers, kayakers, paddle boarders, families, and leisurely walks. I can get on the trail at anytime between 6 am and 9 am and see at least five people I know doing various activities. I will say, though, that despite the trail being in the center of the city San Antonio’s trail system is far more superior.

San Antonio’s downtown feels crowded and complicated. Austin’s downtown is in a grid and easy to navigate. I was in SA for the SA rock n roll half marathon this past December and, while it might have been that I haven’t been outside of my bubble of 10/De Zavala is ages, it felt claustrophobic and crowded. Despite the “super tall” buildings and the cranes building things left and right, I just didn’t feel the downtown vibe the same as I do the Austin vibe.

Old 03-15-2023, 09:41 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Despite the “super tall” buildings and the cranes building things left and right, I just didn’t feel the downtown vibe the same as I do the Austin vibe.
San Antonio is a much older community than Austin - much of it's streets came about as wagon/horse trails going to one landmark/trail or another. Consequently, the roads are narrower and much more twisting/meandering. DT Austin was built as a Capital City - consequently broader and straighter streets. Go out of downtown, though, and the same twisting roadways are observed. Me, I like the character that the streets give DT SA - there's still a lot of things to be discovered there, little gems hiding here and there.

Old 03-16-2023, 05:26 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
San Antonio is a much older community than Austin - much of it's streets came about as wagon/horse trails going to one landmark/trail or another. Consequently, the roads are narrower and much more twisting/meandering. DT Austin was built as a Capital City - consequently broader and straighter streets. Go out of downtown, though, and the same twisting roadways are observed. Me, I like the character that the streets give DT SA - there's still a lot of things to be discovered there, little gems hiding here and there.
You’re right and I appreciate recognizing the difference. They’re very different cities with very different histories. I’ve spent most of my seven and a half years here in central Austin down to far south Austin (just north of Buda) and even getting south things are pretty linear outside of neighborhoods. But again, I appreciate the reminder that we’re two very different cities developed for different reasons, and I think when people start being oro or con one or the other that really needs to be accounted for.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:50 PM

61 posts, read 45,000 times
Old looking narrow streets downtown are a sure sign of old age within a modern teeming city. Cities in the old northeast cities are the same way, as is New Orleans too. One of my sons lives in Philadelphia and parts of it are the same way. Nearby his place is the oldest tavern in the United States. The Old, old brick houses built right next to each other-even to sharing external walls and three stories high. Lots and lots of history up there too. To say the least. Why San Antonio is as old as Boston and Fort Detroit.
Because there were no horse and wagon traffic jams in the old days the downtown streets needn't be made too wide, only to accommodate a few horses. No passing lanes either. Too late the buildings were built along narrow streets designed for a city of 1500 citizens. San Antonio is much more about the historical than the hip. Yes, San Antonio downtown does have an old city, type character. Within its' own specifications it is unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio