Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want another pro-team in SA?
Yes, We need one! 44 61.11%
No! 9 12.50%
Sure if you don't take anything out of my pocket! 17 23.61%
On No not again! 1 1.39%
Don't care either way! 1 1.39%
Can I still watch my cowboys? 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannern View Post
Sorry, for interrupting. We are looking to move to SA next year, so I kind of follow the threads.
No need to apologize -- that's what this forum is for

Hope SA offers what you are looking for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Green Bay has all of northern Wisconsin. New Orleans controls all of Louisiana, and Kansas City has a strong hold on Kansas and the western half of Missouri. J-Ville is the only city that is too small.
Nashville and Charlotte have more than one team and they are smaller than San Antonio. Indianapolis, Milwaukee,Cincinatti, Cleveland have two teams as well. San Antonio should be passing, Cincy and CLeveland metro very soon, bigger than Indy and Milwaukee. Austin is so close that are TV market doesnt really expand like many of the others do. If both were tied together then they would rank about 17th or 18th in nation.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiddasdude19 View Post
San Antonio is a smaller market however I think that it can support another major league team I think football would be better than baseball,yes there are a alot of cowboys fans(not me) but they are America's team. I'm glad to see that the city is trying to be proactive about the matter.Now San Antonio might be the 37th tv market but we are bigger than KC,Green Bay,New Orleans, and jacksionville.
I still say Major League Baseball can work out in San Antonio. It's finally starting to come together for the Tampa-St.Petersbug area. The AlamoDome is not being used for the Spurs anymore and if a stadium can be used for football, it can be used for baseball. Think of the Metrodome in Minneapolis where the MN Twins plays. They share the stadium with the MN Vikings. The only thing needed would be to remove some of the seats and renovate the dome to be higher. It can be done. It will take some work, alot of work, but it can be.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:26 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiddasdude19 View Post
With local officials trying to lure another sports team to SA, I wanted to know did people really want another sports team and if so what do you think will be its impact on SA?

Local: S.A. to discuss ways to lure pro franchises

Web Posted: 01/03/2007 11:30 PM CST

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

Mayor Phil Hardberger and County Judge Nelson Wolff have scheduled a meeting for next week to discuss how San Antonio would pursue NFL or Major League Baseball teams interested in relocation.

[rest of the article cut - copyrights]

torsborn@express-news.net

Instead of attracting more corwds why not fix the roads and bridges the go after such sports teams. honestly NB I-35 from us90 to 410 has been so damaged thats its not even funny anymore. and how about that dangerous Mccullough Exit where traffic backs up on to the interstate. yes interstate because of the lack of exit ramps.

Honestly guys I think TX Dot is stealing the fedeal fundings to maintain and buld the interstates.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I don't know how difficult it would be to bring a NFL or MLB team to San Antonio, but I would think it would be very difficult.

San Antonio should go for soccer instead,
the main reason is that MLS (Major league soccer) is growing,
the added a team from Seattle and one from Philadelphia this year and they are going to pick 2 more cities/teams by 2011.

Other reasons for going for soccer
- You don't need a big soccer stadium, several teams built/have stadiums with capacity of 20-25,000
- I doubt MLS requires being a huge TV market, since MLS doesn't get much ratings anyway.
- Dallas and Houston have teams, the team would have 2 rivals right away (helps with ratings)

Salt Lake City has a smaller TV market than San Antonio and has an MLS team.
Other thing, I think the Kansas City team was playing in a small basebal stadium this year.

Last edited by Dopo; 11-16-2008 at 12:30 AM..

Old 11-16-2008, 05:58 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
How can anyone be a Houston texan fan? They passed up on Reggie Bush!!! The Oilers were cool with Warren Moon, but the Texans....
Mario Williams is better than Reggie Bush hands down. I would much rather have Mario Williams and Steve Slaton over Reggie Bush anyday, as would 31 of the GM's in the NFL

Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Nashville and Charlotte have more than one team and they are smaller than San Antonio. Indianapolis, Milwaukee,Cincinatti, Cleveland have two teams as well. San Antonio should be passing, Cincy and CLeveland metro very soon, bigger than Indy and Milwaukee. Austin is so close that are TV market doesnt really expand like many of the others do. If both were tied together then they would rank about 17th or 18th in nation.
According to Wikipedia: Cleveland is also part of the larger Cleveland-Akron-Elyria Combined Statistical Area, which in 2000 had a population of 2,945,831, and ranked as the country's 14th largest.

And I don't think that includes the Canton area, which adds another 500,000ish to that total, and is barely an hour away on the same highway to boot

San Antonio is a large city, there is no denying that. If this city was in Idaho, or Nevada, or somewhere there are no teams, it would be a shoo in, but, there are so many teams in close proximity, that it will be hard for those teams to survive here.

I would love a team here, especially baseball, but I do not think it would happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio