Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 10,628 times

Advertisements

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times
I wish that the opening and closing of mine were automatic somehow. I'm lazy I guess. I'd like them to open when I get up and shut when the sun starts beating in.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I wish that the opening and closing of mine were automatic somehow. I'm lazy I guess. I'd like them to open when I get up and shut when the sun starts beating in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPrNpMOOfQo

Old 06-28-2016, 09:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Hi
I have read a couple of threads about who to use for plantation shutters. I have a company in mind. But I'm having some trouble justifying the cost to myself. I'm usually a very frugal person but I really like plantation shutters. I don't want to spend a bunch of money for just looks though. Are there some practicial reasons to spend the extra money for shutters?
Are there some cons to plantation shutters where I will regret spending thousands of dollars later?
Has anyone purchased plantation shutters and regretted it?
A couple pro/cons that have come to mind
Pro - I can open the windows and let a breeze in while leaving shutters closed and they won't blow around like blinds will.
Con - One of my dogs likes to look out the window. With vertical blinds, she can just poke her head through without hurting the blinds.
I had plantation shutters installed in my house, and I LOVED them.

Plantation shutters do a better job of insulating than blinds.
Plantations shutters make a room darker than blinds.
Plantations shutters look nicer than blinds, and that can make a difference in the eyes of a potential buyer, when you get ready to sell.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:21 PM

52 posts, read 53,946 times
Purchased plantation shutters in 3 or 4 phases and we now have the entire first floor finished. Absolutely pleased with our purchase (s). We also used Sunburst Shutters and not one complaint. Couldn't be happier.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:13 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Those look promising, but I would need like 19 of them. Ugh. And what I really want, is one which opens the "door" and swings out on our superwide windows. They have two shutters which meet in the middle with magnets. Anyway, thanks for the tip on those.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Hello,

HTTPS://goo.gl/photos/g4WFTtVnHuKehZAx8

Included the pictures of one of my window with casing. I spoke with a shutter company and they suggested mounting frame over existing casing. I have also included picture of that.

Can you please suggest if mounting one of the frame show in the picture will look weird if the frame is mounted over existing window casing.

Another option they provided Is to entirely skip installing the frame, and do inside mount using L frame. But it seems that for L frame the window needs to be in perfect shape (with no irregularities) which otherwise would cause light gaps and would require a lot of caulking.

Would the cleaner option be to remove casing on all the window?
Would that involved a lot of dry wall work, painting, etc. Any risk in doing that?

Your response is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited by Anonymoususer2009; 06-30-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Personally, I don't think the frame looks bad over the casing at all, I really like the way it looks ... I like the wider of the 2 frames ...

If you opt to go for the inside mount, yes, it may take a lot of caulk in some of the larger gaps, but it's not impossible ... My husband was the shutter installer for Sunburst Shutters for years, I can ask his opinion tomorrow when he wakes up as to what he would recommend would work out better ...

Old 07-01-2016, 12:12 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
My husband says he recommends an inside mount on those windows and definitely not to remove the existing casing ... He said he installed inside mounts where he had to caulk 1/4 of an inch gap and once caulked the install looks really good, with no customer complaints ....

However, if you are concerned with any large gaps then do the outside frame over the existing casing ... It will give the windows a better seal

My husband also said that polywood shutters have no wood in them what so ever ... it is a mixture that is heated into liquid form, then fed into a shaping machine that forms the shutter components then when it comes out the other end of the machine, cold water runs over it, which gives it the smooth finish ...

The Sunburst Shutters are guaranteed for life to the purchaser only, from cracking, chipping, warping, splitting, discoloring, etc and they have a fire retardant material built into them...

Again, I know there are naysayers, but my mothers 19 year old Sunburst Shutters are proof ... She has shutters in her entire home and they still look like the day they were installed, albeit a bit dustier, LoL!!!

Last edited by mrstxcop; 07-01-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 03:19 PM

OMG ..Thank you so much!!!
With inside mount using existing casin I'm wondering if the caulking applied would wear out over time and would require recaulking?

Also will the shutter sturdiness be affected by skipping frame (or) is frame just for completing the look.

Thank you to you and your husband for response on polywood.
Can you please check with him if hollow vinyl aka poly satin shutters are good? People I spoke to are recommending that over composite. Composite is heavy and sturdy while vinyl is hollow and light since it's made of pvc. But people recommend it because most of my larger windows are on west side and gets a lot of light & heat. Plus also because vinyl is water resistant. Can you please help clarify this? Would the vinyl shutters have cheaper look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio