Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2023, 04:15 PM

501 posts, read 776,519 times

Advertisements

Noticed a lot of earth-moving and grading machinery in use at the exhausted Beckman quarry directly across NW Military from Eisenhower Park that adjoins the Salado Greenway trail (behind the CPS transformer complex). Definitely did not appear to have any resemblance to a resumption of quarrying activity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 04:33 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Isn’t that environmentally protected? Could it be an extension of the trail? It sounds like you might be talking about the area east of Eisenhower? Along the power lines on the trail? (I recall you know the trail well). This was sort of near where IKEA was going to be initially right? And the Golden cheeked warbler squashed it?

Old 05-05-2023, 01:28 AM

325 posts, read 204,351 times
Haven't heard of anything about that quarry but I've always wondered when these quarries in prime real estate would go. Same thing with Camp Bullis. If they moved that further out I-10 to Kerr County or something and built some roads between Stone Oak and I-10, I'd have to imagine 1604 would be less of a disaster lol.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:26 AM

501 posts, read 776,519 times
Came home and did the google overhead tour of the site. There's two distinct quarries bisected by the high power line easement but the development seems to be on the larger, northern space instead of the one adjoining the Cornerstone school athletic fields and Shavano Ranch Road. With only a single access point, I find it hard to see the site as a La Cantera style shopping destination.
The city was in negotiations with the quarry owners a while back, that had delayed the formal opening of the trail segment even after the trail was finished.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:56 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Haven't heard of anything about that quarry but I've always wondered when these quarries in prime real estate would go. Same thing with Camp Bullis. If they moved that further out I-10 to Kerr County or something and built some roads between Stone Oak and I-10, I'd have to imagine 1604 would be less of a disaster lol.
I wish they would look into combining Camp Stanley and Camp Bullis. There is so much unused land on both of them. Or even moving all of Camp Bullis' operations to the Medina (Chapman Training) Annex over by Lackland. I used to work there and current operations probably only take up 20% of the entire land space. I know they probably have old contaminated WW II crap buried there though...lol

Old 05-05-2023, 04:33 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I wish they would look into combining Camp Stanley and Camp Bullis. There is so much unused land on both of them. Or even moving all of Camp Bullis' operations to the Medina (Chapman Training) Annex over by Lackland. I used to work there and current operations probably only take up 20% of the entire land space. I know they probably have old contaminated WW II crap buried there though...lol
Yeah, and then what would happen to all that "unused", undeveloped, naturally beautiful land where Camp Bullis has been sitting for the last 106 years?
You all know as well as I do, that it will become a 28,000-acre sea of rooftops, chain restaurants and asphalt, just like every other slice of land out this way.
Developers have been drooling over that land for decades, just waiting to pounce.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Yeah, and then what would happen to all that "unused", undeveloped, naturally beautiful land where Camp Bullis has been sitting for the last 106 years?
You all know as well as I do, that it will become a 28,000-acre sea of rooftops, chain restaurants and asphalt, just like every other slice of land out this way.
Developers have been drooling over that land for decades, just waiting to pounce.
Probably not due to the reasons I cited with wildlife.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:58 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Probably not due to the reasons I cited with wildlife.
The environmental concerns that you speak of didn't stop all these other developments, did it?
I grew up in this area. In my 60 years, I have witnessed every new housing and commercial development destroy every plot of land around here. Opposition was there constantly. Petitions, environmental lawsuits, public meetings, raising hell at city hall, etc. Always defeated in the end.
Money wins every time.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:21 PM

863 posts, read 866,446 times
Quote:
The environmental concerns that you speak of didn't stop all these other developments, did it?
I grew up in this area. In my 60 years, I have witnessed every new housing and commercial development destroy every plot of land around here. Opposition was there constantly. Petitions, environmental lawsuits, public meetings, raising hell at city hall, etc. Always defeated in the end.
Money wins every time.
That's right. There wasn't supposed to be development north of 1604 in the aquifer recharge zone either. But that only lasted about ten years before the developers got it neutered to the point where it doesn't matter anymore.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Money wins every time.
We have very similar experience and know the same areas of the city very well. I’m surprised you’re forgetting about the fight that has always been put up to save the golden cheek warblers. It’s almost as common as the fight against told roads and the blind salamander. I think this might be connected to what’s going on. But I could be wrong.

https://sanantonioreport.org/cibolo-...eeked-warbler/

Here is a much older article regarding the habitat which happened well before I moved to Austin., https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...p#photo-930004

I’m not saying money may not eventually win out, but it’s complex and related to these birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio