Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:56 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,762,333 times

Advertisements

I did this at one of the workers' comp claims offices I worked for in So Calif.. a long time ago...
It was an incentive for carpooling.
We had every other Friday off, worked 80 hours in a 9 day period, or something close to that..... We thought we'd lose some of the traffic woes on the ending time, but..... it WAS So Calif after all... there rarely is an 'ending time' to traffic ....... It was a State entity, so they were not allowed to give us EXTRA time off, just rearrange the hours to have an extra day 'not in the office'......
On the week that we had Friday off, I lay helpless and wasted on the sofa most of the day....
On the Monday back at work after my Friday off, my phone messages were stacked almost as high as my Inbox, which was an extra 5-10 inches or more higher..... On the Friday that we WORKED, I could barely answer the phone and couldn't concentrate on a single thing in front of me...
I carpooled with a guy who I had been good friends with and we were bitching at each other like hens all the way to and from work after the first 2 weeks.... He was as far behind on his caseload as I was... we finally began talking to each other and lunching together occasionally again approximately one month after we returned to our regular schedules...... The company ultimately abandoned the whole idea..... I think there were many companies in Southern Calif whose employees tried it out, but dropped for the same reasons that my friend and I did..... and you know, I sat here for more than 10 minutes trying to remember this guy's name.... it will drive me mad now for a while.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,790,811 times
My career is very autonomous, so I work from home often (office is in NYC) ...and travel often (make my own schedule). I don't put in very many work hours though ...no reason to. I love to spend time with my wife and son. Work maybe 25 hours per week..tops. I'm allergic to commutes as well. I didn't get to this point overnight though. I guess everyone has to put in their time.
A 4 day work week is not good for me.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 05-30-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,300,658 times
Gotta love irony.. I just found a potential opening upstairs and they work 4 day weeks. I'm trying like hell to get in.. 2 - 12:30 isn't the greatest hours, but only working M-Th would make it worth it.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Gotta love irony.. I just found a potential opening upstairs and they work 4 day weeks. I'm trying like hell to get in.. 2 - 12:30 isn't the greatest hours, but only working M-Th would make it worth it.
Tell them you wanna make your own damn hours. You're the man!!!

Good luck RD!!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,398,172 times
That would SO be good to me...only issue is that I would probably be on the streets more burning up gas if I were OFF than when I am at work!

No, I honestly think it would be WONDERFUL!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,918,484 times
Yes, Paka has a good point--I think a lot of us would be out "gal-lyvanting" a lot more and thereby reducing any potential savings! I get cabin fever and have to get out!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:15 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,529,195 times
Otherhalf has a pretty good schedule (when he's HOME, and when he's NOT working OT). They do 9/80 ~ 9 days, 80 hours ~ so every other Friday off and it only increases their workdays by an hour (but Friday ON is 8 hours). And since they go in so darned early (like 5), it's not that much of an impact on the family.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:52 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,403,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
That's one reason many government offices in the DC area offer their civilian employees something called an "Alternative Work Schedule," or AWS. Basically, you work enough hours so that you can take every other Friday off. It equates to a 9-10 hour day. It was really popular up there, and had a measurable impact on commuting costs and traffic overall.

--Dim

Keesler AFB did this. Worked out awesome. Even some of the training schools were involved.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Otherhalf has a pretty good schedule (when he's HOME, and when he's NOT working OT). They do 9/80 ~ 9 days, 80 hours ~ so every other Friday off and it only increases their workdays by an hour (but Friday ON is 8 hours). And since they go in so darned early (like 5), it's not that much of an impact on the family.

Other than "going in so darned early (like 5)" it sounds OK. 5 AM?????? Youch.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,300,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Tell them you wanna make your own damn hours. You're the man!!!

Good luck RD!!
Ha! I wish I was.. I'm just a nothing now (damn contractor is usually what they call us). I do what I'm told and it's definitely not a life I want to keep any longer than I have to..
and actually, I was thinking of applying to be your personal assistant.. I'm liking your schedule and travel a LOT more than mine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio