Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times

Advertisements

If you were tired of visitors from the coasts already, brace yourself for the onslaught. The 31 Places to Go This Summer - NYTimes.com As for me, hey - I've got 2 spare guest rooms in my house

Excerpt:
1. TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
Who needs Europe? The Texas Hill Country, west of Austin and north of San Antonio, might be the next best thing to crossing the Atlantic. The region is lush, colorful and, unlike much of the pancake-flat state, dotted with beautiful green hills that are evocative of Tuscany or the south of France. Moreover, the region is speckled with 22 wineries (www.texaswinetrail.com) that buzz with food and music festivals year round. And towns like Fredericksburg offer a taste of the Old World, with German-style biergartens and schnitzelhäuser.

Last edited by CelesteDF; 06-01-2008 at 01:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:32 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Why did I just get a vision of my beautiful Marble Falls, Burnet, Kingsland, and Llano getting over run with snobby pretentious new yorkers? I mean it's almost bad enough with the Austinization happening, ie the Starbucks right off 281 as you enter Marble Falls.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Well, how many of us trek to NY to visit ground zero, or to get NY pizza, take in a Broadway show, visit Times Square etc?

It really doesn't affect my life if they want to come here and drink a Starbucks in Marble Falls, TX. I'm sure not going to be drinking one.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,366 times
I think all the rich Houstonians and supposedly New Yorkers are also buying up Marfa for get aways.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Um....isn't it too hot to be in the area during the summer? this is a VERY surprising list and I am confused as to how the hill country can be #1. First off, most kids will get bored here quickly, secondly, I don't know how you can beat a cabin in Jackson hole wyoming, white rafter rafting the Yellowstone, walking the Las Vegas strip, driving along the Malibu area, etc. I'm not sure this is a good thing to be listed #1.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Um....isn't it too hot to be in the area during the summer? this is a VERY surprising list and I am confused as to how the hill country can be #1. First off, most kids will get bored here quickly, secondly, I don't know how you can beat a cabin in Jackson hole wyoming, white rafter rafting the Yellowstone, walking the Las Vegas strip, driving along the Malibu area, etc. I'm not sure this is a good thing to be listed #1.
The summer weather in the NE isn't that much better than it is in TX.

As for your list of alternative activities, I'll see your cabin in Jackson Hole, your white water rafting in Yellowstone, walking the Vegas strip, and driving on the 101, and raise you spelunking in Natural Bridge Caverns, toobing down the Guadalupe, walking the Paseo del Rio, and taking an afternoon drive along hwy 16 beteen Kerrville and Bandera, or hwy 46 between Boerne and Helotes

Old 06-01-2008, 12:53 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post

As for your list of alternative activities, I'll see your cabin in Jackson Hole, your white water rafting in Yellowstone, walking the Vegas strip, and driving on the 101, and raise you spelunking in Natural Bridge Caverns, toobing down the Guadalupe, walking the Paseo del Rio, and taking an afternoon drive along hwy 16 beteen Kerrville and Bandera, or hwy 46 between Boerne and Helotes
Yeah, what he said! And the Hill Country is TONS cheaper than going to all those other places!!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post

Good points oldmanshirt, and I'd rather stay in Texas for these things, too. We're still blessed with how little the rest of the nation knows about the areas out in the hill country/west Texas areas, but that's changing FAST. Just over a century ago, pioneer families were being killed by Indians. A lost child wandered alone in the wilderness in the Harper area for days before being taken in by the local Indian tribe. This was not long ago. Now we Texans are the indigenous people. Texas is still YOUNG.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I have ahard time believing that any where in texas ranks as th number #1 vacation spot. I don't believe any stats really suport it either.I am sure diney world in florida alone out ranks the hill coubntry.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Florida didn't make the list at all. I don't think the list includes the expensive touristy places that everyone has "been to, done that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio