Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2023, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,145 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember or have more information about the pay TV channel called Showbiz that operated in San Antonio sometime around 1979-1983? As I recall, it was broadcast via microwave in the days before cable TV had reached all areas of San Antonio. When you subscribed, the company put a microwave antenna on your house and ran a cable from it to your TV. They also published a magazine that was sort of a TV guide to the channel. Showbiz was similar to HBO or Showtime, running mostly movies around the clock.

There was also a store called Pirate Antennas, I believe, that sold microwave antennas with the necessary equipment to allow homeowners to receive the channel without paying for the subscription.

I found federal trademark data that suggests this was a San Antonio-specific company and channel. The company is listed as SHOWBIZ PUBLICATIONS, 11831 RADIUM, SAN ANTONIO TEXAS 78216. I had always assumed it was a national channel but this makes me think otherwise.

I did find this, but I’m not sure if this is the same “Showbiz.”

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIHYyzpMb8[/url]

Anyway, since I see so little about it online, I thought I’d see if anyone else here had the channel or has any more information on it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 10:07 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
I never personally had Showbiz, but I do recall that service being offered here during the period you mentioned. Needed a microwave dish on your house, and I believe an encoded receiver.

And yes, UA Columbia (which has since morphed into Spectrum), had not yet completed their CATV build-out in San Antonio, so those who were still waiting for CATV service to become available I think only had four English-language OTA TV stations and maybe two Spanish-language stations available at that time. I suppose the completion of the CATV build-out in the city probably drove the final nail in the coffin for Showbiz.

Old 09-20-2023, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,145 times
Thanks for the reply and confirming my memories. I remember the signal seemed to get weaker near the end of the channel’s life, and as you suggest, it disappeared right around the time cable made it to our neighborhood.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: