Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

Definitely water your grass before 9am in the mornings and you'll be fine. As noted above, the reason is so the water can soak into the ground before it gets too hot in the day to evaporate. Been doing it this way and grass is growing like crazy, despite the heat. Good luck guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Definitely water your grass before 9am in the mornings and you'll be fine. As noted above, the reason is so the water can soak into the ground before it gets too hot in the day to evaporate. Been doing it this way and grass is growing like crazy, despite the heat. Good luck guys!
True. One good reason not to water at night is that it can promote the growth of fungus. Best time is early morning.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 PM

67 posts, read 274,970 times
Ditto Steel Man about the fungus. I learned the hard way.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
True. One good reason not to water at night is that it can promote the growth of fungus. Best time is early morning.
AKA when I go to bed

Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,284 times
Something else to consider - be sure the lawn is free of weeds as the weeds will compete with the water for moisture (weeds are greedy little suckers too!). As DH and I have been out walking in our soon-to-be neighborhood we've noticed one lawn in particular that is, well, the worst "lawn" I've ever seen. Almost no grass and hundreds of weeds about 8-12 inches tall. (Fornuately this particular neighbor is about 3 streets over from us and on a corner all by themsevles).

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Something else to consider - be sure the lawn is free of weeds as the weeds will compete with the water for moisture (weeds are greedy little suckers too!). As DH and I have been out walking in our soon-to-be neighborhood we've noticed one lawn in particular that is, well, the worst "lawn" I've ever seen. Almost no grass and hundreds of weeds about 8-12 inches tall. (Fornuately this particular neighbor is about 3 streets over from us and on a corner all by themsevles).
You need to see our 'lawn' - it definitely comes close to the worst lawn ever. Well, it's not a lawn, it's a 1/4 acre of weeds and dirt....

Finally after years of neglect, what was once the most beautiful lot in the 'hood is getting revived along with the house. But it's not easy! Especially with a little one who keeps pulling out the grass plugs I've planted or ripping off flowers from the new plants.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
You need to see our 'lawn' - it definitely comes close to the worst lawn ever. Well, it's not a lawn, it's a 1/4 acre of weeds and dirt....

Finally after years of neglect, what was once the most beautiful lot in the 'hood is getting revived along with the house. But it's not easy! Especially with a little one who keeps pulling out the grass plugs I've planted or ripping off flowers from the new plants.
LOL...don't worry Chaka...it's not your lawn to which I'm referring! I know you don't live anywhere near our neighborhood. It is hard though to revive a weedy lawn isn't it?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 AM

That's an understatement. On one side we (I) just dug everything out by hand, laid down new dirt, and then aggresively attack any new weeds coming up. It's a never ending battle, but I think I am winning - though at times I feel like Bill Murray in Caddyshack, only fighting weeds instead of gophers. On the other side (in front only), we decided to till, then do 'soil solarization'. I'm not sure if it worked yet, it seems to be doing the trick. Hard part will be to pack the soil in again, but it was all full of holes and ditches anyway, this isn't any worse.

We still have a much larger portion to tackle, but that'll wait til Spring. I'm trying to do a partial xeriscape (or at least plant things which minimize water use, if not actually xeriscaping).

Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Heh! I bet we've got you beat!! Ours is 1/2 acre of weeds and dirt!! Well, that and a bunch of oak trees, so consequently also oak leaves and little oak tree shoots all over the place. However, our neighbor across the street probably has it even worse, and even has a huge Bull Nettle weed growing on his side yard! Yikes! Hope that darned thing doesn't spread!!

OH! And yeah, SA Greed, our neighbors that water early in the morning have the nicest lawns in the neighborhood!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Oh we have the tree problem too. No oaks (I don't think...I'm still figuring out what all we have), but an enormous cedar elm that has roots all over the yard, a couple of insane pecans, crepe myrtles that are shooting sprouts everywhere, and a bunch of what were shrubs I think but are now trees ripping out the fence. Oh, and the hackberries that have grown out of control.

We have a ton of other trees (one side looks like a park with a canopy), but I don't know what they are. We have sprouts everywhere you look, except in the back which gets full sun.

We do have a wonderful fig tree, but this year it's not producing any fruit.

I don't have to worry about anyone complaining about our ugly lawn though, because everyone is in the same boat. Goes with the houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio