Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some landscape design or gardening magazines that are suitable to this area? I know there are a ton out there, but many don't really apply to the S. Texas climate. There may not be a specific one for S. Texas, but perhaps one that has more of our conditions than New England - KWIM?

I'm looking for inspiration, lots of photos and how-to of landscape, not a bunch of stories about frilly arts and crafts. I do like Sunset but that seems to be more heavily biased towards the west coast.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,210,404 times
I have this book Amazon.com: Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening, 2nd Edition: Neil Sperry: Books It is GREAT!! My MIL gave it to me a loooong time ago and I have learned LOTS from it. check out the reviews on the website too, I'm not alone.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
I don't believe there are any magazines for South Texas gardening, but you could subscribe to the Shades of Green newsletter. It has plant recommendations and a bulleted list of advice on what you should/could be doing with your lawn and garden each month. It's distributed by email, but as far as I know, the only way to register for it is in person at the store. Oh, and the best part is that it's free!

Shades of Green

Old 06-10-2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. That really helps. There are a ton of books out there, it's hard to decide which is really good.

I feel like I'm wandering into the complete unknown. The house restoration I could handle, this is new territory for me!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:29 PM

I just re-read your post and see you are looking for magazines, not a book. I googled 'texas landscape magazine' and this came up Neil Sperry's GARDENS - The Definitive Word in Texas Horticulture

It is the same author of the book I posted earlier. I didn't know about this magazine but I might just have to subscribe to this one!! Thanks Chaka, just what I needed something else to spend money on .
J/K, this looks like a very good magazine.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM

haha.

I'm good with books too - in fact, I prefer a book, but do like the variety of a magazine. I tend not to hold subscriptions past one year, but that's just enough to give me some ideas, and my Dwell subscription is expiring, so time for something new. I have the Sunset Book - an older version, got it at Half Price Books, but like I said, kind of biased towards West Coast.

Now I may get this book AND the magazine!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I just re-read your post and see you are looking for magazines, not a book. I googled 'texas landscape magazine' and this came up Neil Sperry's GARDENS - The Definitive Word in Texas Horticulture
I was just looking around this website. check out the FAQ. Some good stuff in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio