Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a therapist that specializes in attachment issues (Reactive Attachment Disorder), child trauma, PTSD and the like for our five year old girl.

Oh, and one that takes Medicaid! I've had 2 recommended to me and neither take Medicaid or any kind of sliding scale payment option and we don't have other insurance right now.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,349 times
You might try posting your question on the "autismsocietysa" Yahoo Group. There are tons of parents of special needs kids from San Antonio here and they are a valuable resource and know lots of professionals all over the city. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:24 PM

thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Just a suggestion...could you look at family services of San Antonio or some sort of non-profit like that? They could possibly refer you to a therapist.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Just a suggestion...could you look at family services of San Antonio or some sort of non-profit like that? They could possibly refer you to a therapist.
I hadn't considered trying them.. I just assumed since they were all just "regular" therapists they'd not be able to assist, but good idea, worth a shot.

She's just got a lot of issues and def. needs a professional who "gets" it as she can be very charming and appear quite perfect to those not familiar with her (learned behavior). She was kidnapped (parental abduction) and hidden away for a year. She was taken at age 2.5 and who knows what she was told about where we were.. fully believe she was told she wasn't wanted anymore. Prior to that everything was normal and she had a healthy bond/attachment. Now there are issues, of course but not so much damage that we don't still have hope that she can be "turned around".

Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Oh my! That is horrible that such a little thing had to go through that!!! I have a degree in nonprofit work and LOVE to try to help people at least get to where they need. I wish I could get back into that line of work..maybe someday. Anyway, hope they can help...if not, they should be able to point you in the right direction. If you don't feel like they are helping you, come back and ask me...I maybe can brain storm for you on more places to look.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Oh wow! I don't have any therapist recommendations, just wanted to say I'm so sorry to hear what happened. What a horrible trauma. I hope you can all get back to normal some day soon.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM

152 posts, read 517,582 times
Dr. Don McCann specializes in RAD therapy. Three of my four kids have RAD, two of them quite serious. We considered switching over to him but decided to stay with our current therapists for the time being. His techniques are said to be quite intense. My friend takes her two boys to see him and is very pleased with the progress they have made. His office is located at 21 Lynn Batts Lane, Suite 11 and the phone number is 829-1994. I'm not sure if he takes Medicaid, but you could ask for a professional referral to someone who might.
The other thing would be to get in touch with Post Adopt Services (I can't find the number at the moment--sorry!) and ask them if they can point you toward someone.
I know how it is to have a child who seems "normal" to everyone else. People shake their heads and think there's something wrong with us! We have three different therapists and are pleased with each of them. DM me if you'd like more info.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM

140 posts, read 508,656 times
Have you tried United Way? If you go online its Welcome United Way
or dial 211 on your house phone.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 PM

23 posts, read 82,050 times
"Post Adopt Services" that shoosh mentioned is actually Family Counseling Services, Home. They definetely take Medicaid (although children have to be adopted). I agree they would probably be happy to recommend you a therapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio