U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:22 PM

77 posts, read 200,099 times

Advertisements

I have seen this another thread similar to mine and I was wondering why is S.A. considered slow? No one on the other threads have ever really gave a good reply; they always say it has small town charm. What does that mean? Is it like a ghost town after 10pm? Just wondering.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,883,885 times
Ghost town after 10 pm? No way.

By slow they been in terms of pace. Living here you don't feel like life is hectic, you can just sit in the back yard and let the world slowly rotate. Basically the pace of life is what is considered slow which is what you're talking about.

Last edited by 210; 01-07-2007 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-07-2007, 07:30 PM

469 posts, read 2,239,307 times
No one's in a rush to get business done. Ever live on a farm? You have a bunch of stuff to do but it'll all be there to do again the next day so you might as well take your time and do it at a steady pace because rushing it isn't going to make a difference. It's the same pace as Hawaii only it's hotter here and there's no ocean.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:02 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,976,885 times
I didn't feel that when I was in Houston, nor do I feel it now in Arlington. If you drive on I-20 through Arlington right now, be prepared to drive fast.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:18 PM

217 posts, read 638,587 times
Hello, thanks for asking. By slow, I have meant that there is not much of interest to do. Locals will disagree because for THEM it is great. People who have lived in real cities in other states, however, will be more likely to say that there's less to do in SA. The slowness is also related to an energy that is hard to define--and surprising given that SA is technically a large city. I, and other transplants call this the "Texas factor," and those who are from other places "get it," and those who are not, have no way to know or feel what we are talking about.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:26 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,958,166 times
I lived 19 years in the greater LA area and 4 years in Tokyo Japan, but prefer the "Texas factor." As they say, to each his own.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 AM

217 posts, read 638,587 times
Hello, in Japan, were you living on a U.S. military base? If so, you were really living in the USA while there.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 AM

119 posts, read 515,616 times
I grew up in San Antonio and loved it. After college, went to Dallas. I found myself coming to SA to do stuff all the time and when I am there I feel like I could spend a month continuously doing all the things I love to do in SA. After my visits I would go home and sit in my house in Dallas and be pissed off there was nothing to do in Dallas. Now I live in St. Louis and find myself doing the same thing. Dallas and St. Louis are great, but there is no place like home.

What is so great about SA is that there is so much to do within driving distance of SA. The coast, Hill Country, Guadalupe, lakes, hunting, etc. You should never run out of things to do there.

I believe the "slow" feel of SA is also referred to the "manana attitude" of people there.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 AM

4,796 posts, read 14,460,493 times
This question is a toughy....."slow" can be defined in a lot of way....not just "stuff" to do. In a way I agree with Robert in that it's a matter of perspective, but I disagree with it being a matter of being "better" other places.

I've lived all over the world...and in a number of places in Texas. San Antonio does have a slower pace because the major "industry" here is tourism. It's just not a corporate city and isn't driven that way. That corporate feel is just hurried, fast paced, scheduled ....

SA has also been considered "slow" in growth in business and real estate just because of logistics. One of the big considerations of Toyota building their plant here was transporting product from this location. It's just out of the way from the mainstream rails and interstate trucking routes. Every mile is money taken from the bottom line profit. Toyota moved here because it was cheap. We lost the bid for Boeing to build at KellyUSA in 2001 because SA logistically is too far out of the loop. I think they ended up in the Denver area.

Nightlife and the ARTS are here....but the population demographics doesn't support the trendy or glitz scene in East or West coast areas......but cost of living in those places demands the populus to have money that will keep those places in business.

Overall.....SA has a little of everything for everyone.....maybe not on a grand scale, but it's certainly not a backwards town. Glitz, faster pace and technology doesn't always make a better lifestyle if you have to pay out the nose through cost of living expenses. It's all a trade off in my mind.

Does any of this make sense?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:07 PM

530 posts, read 1,986,181 times
Default at&t ceo

you want slow? the ceo of at&T lives 60 miles from downtown san antonio in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio